Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wondered about the wisdom of trying to do a proper run-in of new engine parts with Mobil1? (or any synthetic) I know many super cars come from the factory like this, but I have always wondered why not break the motor in on standard oil then switch after a few K miles. I always break in my sportbikes on regular oil then switch over to Mobil 1. Can you shed any light or wisdom on this issue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Chip said:
I have wondered about the wisdom of trying to do a proper run-in of new engine parts with Mobil1? (or any synthetic) I know many super cars come from the factory like this, but I have always wondered why not break the motor in on standard oil then switch after a few K miles. I always break in my sportbikes on regular oil then switch over to Mobil 1. Can you shed any light or wisdom on this issue?
I believe the mechanical guru on Motorweek (Pat Goss) said that a very small number of cars come with a special break in oil from the factory. For those, waiting until the first oil change to switch is essential. For others, I believe he indicated that you can switch anytime, but it's a waste to do so before the first scheduled change. I think his shop has done more change overs to Mobil 1 than any other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
My understanding is that most engines put into production vehicles are broken in by the engine builder before they arrive at the (final) assembly plants (Wilmington, in our case).

The idea behind running dino oil for break-in is that it will allow for a little more wear than synthetic. When you refer to breaking in an engine, what you're talking about is getting a good seal between the piston rings and cylinder linings, and "seating in" the valves in the head (as well as mating the bearing surfaces). You actually want the mating parts to grind one another away ever so slightly, so that you get an exact fit. The idea is to get the best seal you can around the piston rings and valve seats so that you get the most compression (and equal compression from cylinder-to-cylinder).

Chip,

I've been out of the sportbike loop for awhile. Does Mobil1 make an oil that's compatible w/ motorcycles now? I was always told that since bikes share the crankcase oil with the gear oil, regular motor oil gets basically broken down by the gears, so you have to use a motorcycle-specific oil unless you have something like a Harley w/ a truly seperate gearbox. I always used Motul in my Gixxers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2KWK4U said:
Chip,

I've been out of the sportbike loop for awhile. Does Mobil1 make an oil that's compatible w/ motorcycles now? I was always told that since bikes share the crankcase oil with the gear oil, regular motor oil gets basically broken down by the gears, so you have to use a motorcycle-specific oil unless you have something like a Harley w/ a truly seperate gearbox. I always used Motul in my Gixxers.
2KWK4U; Yes I believe they do. Your right so far as the oil in most sportbikes being adversely affected by the shear actions of the tranny. However my experience with my last couple of bikes with a combined total of just more than 50K miles using standard 5-50 Mobil 1 has been excellent and no problems noted. Honda warns against the use of synthetic oils in their bikes due to possible slipping clutch issues. The stuff is just so slick! :yesnod
Fformula88; 2KWK4U stated what I was thinking about in regards to the break-in process.
I know that the Honda S2000 comes with what Honda claims to be a special oil that the owner is told to leave in for a specific period of time / mileage. I seem to remember reading that this special oil has a high level of Zinc in it that somehow aids in the break-in process.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
2KWK4U said:
My understanding is that most engines put into production vehicles are broken in by the engine builder before they arrive at the (final) assembly plants (Wilmington, in our case).
Not always. The Lotus Elise has one of the most complex break-in routines you have to go through untill the first oil change. It's a fairly complex list of speeds at certain revs for certain time periods. It's always best to go through a break in process prior to pusing a car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brentil; Do you know if the Lotus Elise comes serviced with Mobil 1? Given what you have posted I would think not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
brentil said:
Not always. The Lotus Elise has one of the most complex break-in routines you have to go through untill the first oil change. It's a fairly complex list of speeds at certain revs for certain time periods. It's always best to go through a break in process prior to pusing a car.

WAIT JUST A COTTONPICKING MINUTE!!!! :nono

Why does a Toyota engine require a "most complex break-in routine"? Toyota's don't.

Just a question.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
pmkco said:
WAIT JUST A COTTONPICKING MINUTE!!!! :nono

Why does a Toyota engine require a "most complex break-in routine"? Toyota's don't.

Just a question.
Because break in isn't just for the engine, it's for the entire car. The engine internals might have been broken in on creation, but everythign it mates upto hasn't been. Also Lotus has made some changes to the 2ZZ engine to produce more HP and Torque too. If you read through the tech documentation for the Celica GT-S I bet there's info on break in procedures too. Car places usually don't mention them anymore though. Lotus dealer will amke sure you do though. And if you break the rules for break in and the onboard PC records it, you can get your waranty voided.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
I use M1 synthetic in my car and motorcycle. I got a real good deal on the MC specific synthetic at walmart when they had it on clearance. I had a couple years suppy. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
2KWK4U said:
My understanding is that most engines put into production vehicles are broken in by the engine builder before they arrive at the (final) assembly plants (Wilmington, in our case).


Does Mobil1 make an oil that's compatible w/ motorcycles now? I was always told that since bikes share the crankcase oil with the gear oil, regular motor oil gets basically broken down by the gears, so you have to use a motorcycle-specific oil unless you have something like a Harley w/ a truly seperate gearbox. I always used Motul in my Gixxers.
Most engines never even have gas in them before installation. The quality control is really that good now. They can just spin the engine with an electric motor and tell if it is good or not.

I've used regular "car" Mobil 1 in my bikes for years. Chemical analysis by several folks have proven that there is little difference in the car and bike versions of Mobil 1.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top