Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What would you be spending your car money on if there was no Solstice?

• Other Low-price Roadster (Miata, MR2)

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Saving for Luxury Roadster (Z4, S2000, TT...)

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Something fast with 4 seats (Mustang, etc.)

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Not buying anything at all

Votes: 6 19.4%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you be doing with your car buying dollars if there was no Solstice...

·
Registered
281 Posts
i voted for nothing else.

hmm, else. el i se.

ELISE!

damn nearby lotus dealership!!:D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well I'd have to look at the MazdaSpeed Miata. I might anyway. Or I'm going to fall back on cheap power, maybe pickup an F-body. Or keep working on what I have. LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would go for a Honda S2000 cause i love how the car looks and works. Its not hard to slap on a turbo and modify the car....i love it, but you cant beat the price tag on the solstice and the fact that I drive 2 pontiac's and I love pontiac!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I would definatley go for the Miata. I was going to buy one until I discovered the Solstice. I'm not affraid to say I LIKE the Miata even if it is a chick car! Cars like the Miata, Solstice, S2000 and MR2 embody for me what a true roadster is all about; light, simple, fun and within reach of the common man.

I also really like the S2000 but I know I don't have that much to spend on a car right now. Luckily Pontiac is going to provide me with the roadster of my dreams that is not a chick car at reasonable price, right?

Can't wait!:thumbs

·
Registered
55 Posts
thats a very good point dave, i agree with that. and the newer miatas in my mind are not chicks cars at all.:cheers

·
Registered
535 Posts
AeroDave said:
I would definatley go for the Miata. I was going to buy one until I discovered the Solstice. I'm not affraid to say I LIKE the Miata even if it is a chick car! Cars like the Miata, Solstice, S2000 and MR2 embody for me what a true roadster is all about; light, simple, fun and within reach of the common man.

I also really like the S2000 but I know I don't have that much to spend on a car right now. Luckily Pontiac is going to provide me with the roadster of my dreams that is not a chick car at reasonable price, right?

Can't wait!:thumbs
I agree with those thoughts completely. If I could get myself to cough up the bucks for it I would have had a S2000 already.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like our little poll is proving the point.

Solstice steals buyers from Miata, takes a little from the high-end boys and brings new customers to the table.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good question, I would probably not be looking at any other vehicles in this category. I was not really looking for a small roadster, but when I saw the Solstice, that changed my mind. It does scream 'Must Have One!' :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
most definitely saving for a Z4, i just love the styling bmw gave them. very nice cars, never sat in or drove one yet though

·
Registered
42 Posts
Vita said:
most definitely saving for a Z4, i just love the styling bmw gave them. very nice cars, never sat in or drove one yet though
I got one from the dealer for a weekend. The interior was better laid out than my Z3, one touch power top (no latches) and the handling was better too. I liked the Z4's 6 speed and it has the same 3.0 L inline 6 that we have in the 3. Price 46k

·
Registered
151 Posts
dav8or said:
I got one from the dealer for a weekend. The interior was better laid out than my Z3, one touch power top (no latches) and the handling was better too. I liked the Z4's 6 speed and it has the same 3.0 L inline 6 that we have in the 3. Price 46k
im going to have to test drive one when my fiancee starts test driving cars this summer. the price is killer though, as are its lines

·
Registered
52 Posts
WRX. I've been planning to buy a WRX this summer, but considering waiting for the Solstice instead. Knowing the plans, or lack thereof, for a forced induction Solstice would really help me decide which way to jump.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am carefully watching the Solstice before I make up my mind on which convertible I will buy...currently only 2 are in my sites and the other is the 05 Mustang.

Pros (my opinion) for the Solstice
1. Staying with GM after being GM loyal for 20 years. Owned 18 GMs in that period.
2. Few of them on the road will not get the "Me Too" tag.
3. Cheaper than the Mustang.

Cons
1. 4 cylinder
2. Only available in standard in the 1st year.

Pros for the Mustang
1. Styling cues look a lot like my first car (1968 Mustang)
2. V8...vroom vroom

Cons
1. After 1 year you will not be able to throw a rock and NOT hit a Mustang.
2. Ford! only owned 3 in my lifetime.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"1. After 1 year you will not be able to throw a rock and NOT hit a Mustang."

What's the Mustang's sales figures projected to look like?

·
Registered
21 Posts
according to BON (Blue Oval News) 180,000 units in the first year...rumours of over 200,000 units in year 2 and 3 then reducing to about 150,000 to 170,000 after that. That is a lot of Mustangs and that is the reason why they are so cheap to buy for the car you get...GM failed with that with the now dead f-body...not enough of them to keep the price even with the Mustang and therefore a lot of buyers when to Ford. In 2002, I priced out a loaded Trans Am convertible against a loaded Mustang GT convertible and the T/A was litteraly $10,000 more. So to not leave my loyalty to GM, I bought an S10 Xtreme to wait out the SSR. The SSR came in at $75k Canadian so I sold the Xtreme and I am waiting to see what the Solstice will spell out for the Canadian market...the Mustang looks likely the one to win for me because of the lack of HP and Auto tranny in the Solstice. I know standard is much better, but I need auto because of a bad left knee, can't clutch without being in pain, so how much would that be. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
need-vert said:
according to BON (Blue Oval News) 180,000 units in the first year...rumours of over 200,000 units in year 2 and 3 then reducing to about 150,000 to 170,000 after that. That is a lot of Mustangs and that is the reason why they are so cheap to buy for the car you get...GM failed with that with the now dead f-body...not enough of them to keep the price even with the Mustang and therefore a lot of buyers when to Ford. In 2002, I priced out a loaded Trans Am convertible against a loaded Mustang GT convertible and the T/A was litteraly $10,000 more. So to not leave my loyalty to GM, I bought an S10 Xtreme to wait out the SSR. The SSR came in at $75k Canadian so I sold the Xtreme and I am waiting to see what the Solstice will spell out for the Canadian market...the Mustang looks likely the one to win for me because of the lack of HP and Auto tranny in the Solstice. I know standard is much better, but I need auto because of a bad left knee, can't clutch without being in pain, so how much would that be. :(
Whoah... sounds like they are scheming to put honda out of business :D

I love the syling of the new mustang, but alas, everyone and his brother... and his uncle... and sister, and cousin, and aunt... will own it. I agree with some of the comments above. I wouldnt get it just because it would be so common.

-Whit

·
Registered
21 Posts
The part of "so many on the road" does bother me too, but what the hell...fast car, not expensive, that's all that matters to me at this point in time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts