Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you be buying a new car anyways or not.
I am only buying it .The price is right. I could not pass this car up.
I WANT MY SOLSTICE

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Andrew Jackson said:
Would you be buying a new car anyways or not.
I am only buying it .The price is right. I could not pass this car up.
I WANT MY SOLSTICE
:agree: ... though, as it turns out, the timing is good as the car I am currently driving is approaching 120,000 miles!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes and no. I wanted a GM car when I bought my 2001 Mazda Miata. I wanted a cheap, two-seat, RWD car. Convertible wasn't a major factor, but small size, stick shift, and RWD were. I could go as high as $30K, and 2+2 was acceptable. It didn't take long before I realized that GM couldn't sell me a sub-$30K RWD small car. The F-body was too big (and I don't have a mullet), and the 'Vette was too much money (and too big).

Now, it's time to augment the garage with another car, and the requirements are still the same. Finally, after only 17 years, GM thinks it's time to release a cheap, smalll, RWD car. It will have my serious consideration, though thanks to GM's lack of product five years ago, it will have to compete with Mazda for my money. Back then, I wanted to buy American above all else, now, while American-made is still a big factor, the Miata is such a joy to drive that I won't buy anything that doesn't beat that.

Tony

·
Registered
600 Posts
I was going to buy a Honda S2000. When I saw the Solstice, I was so excited that I forgot about the Honda totally. The wait has been fun and frustating but will be worth it. I live near a small town, 2500 pop, and the nearest town with a foreign dealer is over 50 miles away. Buying American made is the standard with me at this point. The quality has improved to as good or better than any Japenese vehile I've owned in the past.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was going to buy a car regardless since I just graduated form college and got a job. I was looking at the Solstice for awhile and made the decision to wait on it instead of getting a Cobalt SSR Supercharged. I think it will definitly be worth the wait for the Sol :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm only buying a car because the Solstice exists....if it didn't, I would not be buying a car. I don't need another car...but this thing is irresitable!

RWD/177hp/5spd/independent suspenstion/styling etc...this car is bringing people into the small convertible market....I would guess that the Solstice is generating new sales...vs. replacement sales for GM.

Of course, maybe some of the Solstice buyers are Camaro/Firebird devotees?

Who knows.

RadRiv

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here's another question: If the Sol was produced by Chevy, would you buy it? How about it if....gulp.....Ford or Chrysler came out with the Sol?

Personally I don't need another car right now as my Grand Prix is only 2 years old. My hope is to give the GP to my daughter in another 1-2 years and get a Sol for myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Chevy would be fine with me. Anything GM for that matter. NO Ford or Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have wanted a sports car ever since selling my MG in 1974. But have never been able to justify one until now (still a bit of a stretch logically). I had gone through the available list and was having to look at 5-6 year old Z3, S2000, and older Boxsters.

Needless to say, compared to half worn out cars, a new car for the same price is very attractive. Add to that the fantastic looks and the fact that it can be serviced anywhere you would want to drive by Mr. Goodwrench, and it's a no-brainer.

Now if we could just get our hands on these puppies, life would be good. :cool:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I was also looking at the more practical Cobalt SS and the G6 Coupe. I would have 1 of those now probably if there was no SOL.

The Solstice won on raw coolness factor.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If no Solstice, I would have kept my Porsche Boxster (just sold the boxster to purchase the solstice). I also have an Audi A4 Convertible (2005), Along with a Mazda Tribute SUV (28 mpg!). The Solstice is great news for the Roadster Market. Pontiac is going to make the other car dealers re-think how they approach the roadster market. :grouphug:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It would be interesting to know how many people, like me, have never owned a roadster and we only got into this because of the Solstice. I suspect it's a pretty good chunk of people. And I wonder if Pontiac had any idea that they were creating a large new market for these cars with the Solstice, rather than just taking most sales from other manufacturers (and we know they are taking sales from other companies!).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have never owned a roadster, driven a stick, or even owned my own car for that matter. I think im in for a treat :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the Solstice wasn't available, the BMW Z4 can be had for not much more money. I.e., a basic 2.5 is high-$20Ks and the 3.0 is mid-$30K. I got my 3.0/6-speed late last summer for $33K, or about $10K more than a reasonably-equipped Solstice. Perhaps the biggest thing (other than price) the Solstice has over the Z4 is the styling -- Pontiac did a great job at simultaneously making it looking modern and classic at the same time. The Z4 design is love-it-or-hate it. I happen to love it, even more since buying. I thought about waiting for the Solstice, but figured demand is going to be such that it would be a two-year wait (from Summer, 2004). Anyway, without a readily-available Solstice in the picture, I would buy a Z4. And I did. ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Editguy said:
It would be interesting to know how many people, like me, have never owned a roadster and we only got into this because of the Solstice. I suspect it's a pretty good chunk of people. And I wonder if Pontiac had any idea that they were creating a large new market for these cars with the Solstice, rather than just taking most sales from other manufacturers (and we know they are taking sales from other companies!).
I am one of them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm one of them too!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I actually was all ready to sign on the dotted line last year for a MazdaSpeed Miata. But, I wasn't gaga over the syling of the Miata (I think it looks very nice, it's just not drop dead gorgeous like the Sol) and I wasn't too keen on buying a Japanese car. I have really been wanting a roadster. My Dad had a '96 Z3 that I loved so I had also been considering a used M Roadster (and still may in the future). When I started looking at the Solstice I decided that if I got the Miata I would be happy in the short term but disappointed once the Solstice came out. Plus, I knew the Miata would probably depreciate a lot since the MazdaSpeeds weren't selling too well and a new model was around the corner.

I decided to wait and I'm glad I did. Besides, although the wait has been brutal the year has flown by so quickly that it wasn't that bad. As far as considering other brands, if it was a Chevy it would be in consideration (being GM) but I am not wild over some of the Chevy grilles. Chrysler would get consideration (I love the new 300s, Chargers, and Crossfires)...but it would have to be one hell of a Ford before I would even go look at it. I think the new Mustang isn't bad, and it scratches my itch left by the departed Firebird and Camaro, but I still can't get over the fact that it's a FORD! (There goes my GM bias shining through again!)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Every "car era" has had its defining moment...and defining vehicle. You can all name these cars without even a blink. The 2006 Pontiac Solstice is THE statement vehicle for the first decade of the 2000's.... Aggressive looks, great price point, frivolous beyond belief; just like the world we live in.

I had no intent of ever buying new again, let alone dreaming I would spring for a 2-seat, top-down roadster. Then I saw the Solstice.

Whamo-blamo: the car...and me driving mine...will go down in history! This will be my turn-their-heads "today" car, and my collector car for 30 years from now.

Be of good courage, Pontiac!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
I have wanted a sports car ever since selling my MG in 1974. But have never been able to justify one until now (still a bit of a stretch logically). I had gone through the available list and was having to look at 5-6 year old Z3, S2000, and older Boxsters.
Strange that you pine for an English roadster yet exclude the one vehicle that most closely resembles it, the Mazda Miata. Much lighter that the vehicles you listed, smaller too, the Miata is the embodiment of the British roadster. They are reliable, practical, and cheap (something none of the other are). They also beat the Z3 in terms of fun and features. The S2K and the Boxster are really in a different class, as they are more performance oriented.

If you want a British roadster, the older Miatae really are the best emulator. If you'd rather have a touring car, the Z3. The Solstice, well, we don't know where that will fit exactly, but it definitely won't have that open, airy feeling that the MG had.

I don't know how you drove the MG, but if it was in any way autocross-esque, you should drive one of the older Miatae to see if that fits your style.

Tony

1 - 20 of 39 Posts