Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a miata.net thread

http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=42;t=000168

is discussing the observed rear hinge trunk and top arrangement that doesn't allow for opening the trunk with the top up.

if this is true, then GM fix this incompetent, stupid mess before you roll out the car. and if it means getting rid of those artsy fartsy head fairings, great.

if these reports are true, then i don't hold out much hope for the "new" lutz regime. how could this be missed by the engineers, the honchos trying out the car, and the focus groups????

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Big IF flyboy...pure speculation at the moment. No one has ever seen a production top for the Solstice yet.

Keep in mind these are Miata people many of whom want to trash the Solstice. That same thread includes a guy who thinks he saw a Solstice on sale now for 40k (2 things wrong in 1 sentence).

·
Registered
192 Posts
mceb said:
Keep in mind these are Miata people many of whom want to trash the Solstice.
Most Miata people just love sports cars, whatever the brand. If there hadn't been a Miata, as modest or as maligned as it may be, there most likely never would have been a Z3, Boxster, S2000, Z4, Solstice, etc. :cheers

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
robrecht said:
Most Miata people just love sports cars, whatever the brand. If there hadn't been a Miata, as modest or as maligned as it may be, there most likely never would have been a Z3, Boxster, S2000, Z4, Solstice, etc. :cheers
robrecht don't get me wrong I'm not trying to trash Miata, I respect what they've done there. I'm just trying to point out the possbile bias of the info (there is a lot of anti-Solstice sentiment on that forum).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hey, don't assume that EVERYONE hates these features, your opinion is just that, ONE opinion, it's not mine and it's not everyone else's!

I LIKE the unique look of the hood and trunk hinges, I LIKE the STYLE of the head fairings, the overall design of the CAR is near perfect imho. As for the top, no one has had a good view of it, the british mules may have had a different top from the one that we will see in production.

If you are dead set on driving this car to the shopping mall and/or soccer mom driving then go buy an SUV/Minivan because the Solstice is clearly NOT FOR YOU! It is a drivers car, not a golfers car, not a big trunk car, not a dragster, not a corvette, and definetely not for those who try to make it into something that it cannot be.

If these issues are deal breakers for you, then you are not meant to be a Solstice driver, thanx because now there will be more of them for the rest of us.

·
Registered
192 Posts
mceb said:
robrecht don't get me wrong I'm not trying to trash Miata, I respect what they've done there. I'm just trying to point out the possbile bias of the info (there is a lot of anti-Solstice sentiment on that forum).
No, I know you weren't trashing the Miata. Personally, I didn't put a lot of stock in that particular post at M.net, but my eyes kinda glazed over 'cause I didn't want to think too hard about all the speculative details 'cause it's just talk at this point. I've only followed a couple of the Solstice discussions over there and I did find a lot of hopeful optimism about GM finally building an American Miata. But I'm sure there's plenty of bias there too, maybe especially so on the NC forum where there's a lot of expectations for the best Miata ever that harkins back to the lightness of the NA but with the "power" of the MS turbo, etc. On the other M.net forums I think there's a less hyped view of the Miata. It is pretty amazing to see people buyting dirt cheap 15-year-old roadsters, upgrading suspensions, adding performance tires on 6.5 lb. wheels, bolting turbochargers on 100k engines, etc. The Miata formula has worked pretty well over the years and a lot of people have discovered the joy of a light well handling little roadster, but the sun is finally setting on this car of the '80s. I expect the Solstice to be a much better, modern car, but it will be difficult to match the Miata's Corolla reliability. The NC? We'll see.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
Hey, don't assume that EVERYONE hates these features, your opinion is just that, ONE opinion, it's not mine and it's not everyone else's!

I LIKE the unique look of the hood and trunk hinges, I LIKE the STYLE of the head fairings, the overall design of the CAR is near perfect imho. As for the top, no one has had a good view of it, the british mules may have had a different top from the one that we will see in production.

If you are dead set on driving this car to the shopping mall and/or soccer mom driving then go buy an SUV/Minivan because the Solstice is clearly NOT FOR YOU! It is a drivers car, not a golfers car, not a big trunk car, not a dragster, not a corvette, and definetely not for those who try to make it into something that it cannot be.

If these issues are deal breakers for you, then you are not meant to be a Solstice driver, thanx because now there will be more of them for the rest of us.
Excellent first post, psycho-squirrel! You've pretty much said all I would say.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Lets take a step back for a moment and analyze what that guy is getting his information. He says that he saw the Solstice at the SF Auto Show, and based on the design he made those conclusions. However, we all know that Pontiac is not showing anyone how the top works, or the car with the top up, or even into the trunk area. The car is always opened and the trunk shut.

This Miata.net member is just speculating on how it will work in his mind. However, he has not seen it work in person, and doesn't know for certain that one wouldn't be able to open the trunk with the top up. Nobody knows that yet.

Nothing against him or the other Miata owners, but taking his statement to heart is like believeing the guy at the end of the bar who heard something from someone who knows someone who knows someone when in fact he knows nobody in the know. Its just an individuals speculation, and where there is nothing wrong with him speculating, I wouldn't take it as gospel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Cars come with trunks? Even if the Kappa cars came with no trunk at all I'd still be geting one, but I can see how the general public might want some storage space.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You know I was thinking about that the other day. It would be slightly annoying but not really a big deal to me. Most of the time I tend to put stuff in the passenger seat or footwell anyway. If the top does have those cool looking winglets on them I could put up with moving them to open the trunk. The one thing that really draws me to this car is the looks. Certainly no miata can touch the looks of this car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
While I'd like the Solstice to have at least a small trunk that is accessible with the top up, I really like the head fairings, and wouldn't want to see them go. I realize that they are no more useful than the fins on old Cadillacs, but they really help the looks of the car IMHO. If we were only concerned with function, then we'd all be driving Scions or something similar.

Of course, there can be some compromise. A small trunk on the Solstice that doesn't have a negative effect on its looks is something that we all expect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you can't open the trunk with the top up, how would you ever get it down? :confused

·
Registered
533 Posts
TomDoc said:
If you can't open the trunk with the top up, how would you ever get it down? :confused
I think the person may have been speculating that you might have to start unfastening parts of the top that may be blocking the lip of the trunk before opening the trunk to complete the lowering process (or opening the trunk for other reasons). Judging by who posted the above response, I don't think that will be an issue.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
tcl said:
I think the person may have been speculating that you might have to start unfastening parts of the top that may be blocking the lip of the trunk before opening the trunk to complete the lowering process (or opening the trunk for other reasons). Judging by who posted the above response, I don't think that will be an issue.

Good observation! ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the Mazda link, Fly :patriot :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
tcl said:
They do look good. I'd be willing to unsnap those to get into the trunk.
[you're welcome, tomdoc]

you and i and the diehards now on the forum might be willing to, but will the bulk of the non-hard core people be willing?

i want the solstice (AND the NC miata!!!) to succeed. i think the stupid rear hinged trunk and the suspected top design (note that one of the miata.net observers saw the chromed winglet catch posts ON the rear trunk lid) will be pounced upon by the miata dealers and will turn off buyers. the mazda dealers will be saying, "watch this, you can flip the miata NC top up and down with one hand without getting out of your seat!!...go try that with the solstice. you can easily lift your grocery bags/luggage in and out of the trunk....just go down to the pontiac dealer and try that with the solstice. you'll hurt your back. oh, and our new NC is just as cute."

if they are so taken with the fairings and the "smooth" look, why not just make a separate tray to store the top that uses the headfairings as the top of the tray and a "normally" opening separate trunk lid aft of the fairings? ooooh, another seam and some more parts.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i love the clamshell trunk and bonnet lids and if they are inconvenient, i accept that as part of the character of the car. i drive a pickup truck with a tonneau cover on the bed- two snaps to get to the trunk on the solstice is no big deal.
it does seem as though pontiac has been a bit circumspect about the top, however. i'm sure that whatever it looks like and however it operates is no longer being developed this close to production. let's see it and put this conjecture to rest.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts