Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Solstice will have the new keyless ignition feature that seems to be on all the newly designed cars like the Acura this year?

Also, how about the remote start feature that seems to be available on the new GM cars?

I suspect they will be styandard features on future cars just the way the remote lock feature is now pretty much standard equipment.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It was not mentioned in the prelim options list. Hard to say with this being "back to basics" roadster, they might keep it simple.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is absolutely no chance of the Solstice having a remote start because it has a manual transmission. I seriously doubt it will have a push button start either. They're keeping the cost down on this one, and something like that is an unnecessary cost. To implement a keyless start system you've got to have a remote so the car knows it is okay to let you start the car and you have to implement a backup system to get the car started in the event the remote battery goes dead. Too cost prohibitive on a car at this price point. Pushbutton start is more of a wow factor to show the friends anyway, it doesn't really get you anything unless putting a key in the ignition is too labor intensive for you.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Keyless ignition? I doubt it. So far GM is keeping that on some rather expensive iron. Caddy XLR, Chevy Corvette. I doubt a $20K back to basics roadster will enjoy that kind of pricey add on fluff. I agree remote start is unlikely with the manual too. If someone leaves it parked in gear, they will send the car through their garage door when they hit the button on the key fob! Or worse, run down someone's kid! GM will steer clear of that liability suit!

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is kinda funny to hear all the comments about how cheap GM wants to keep this car, but they are putting in the most advanced and expensive full production I4 GM ever made? The 2.4 VVT seems like a cool engine and all but what is wrong with giving people what they want? If people want keyless and will not complain about the price, then give it to them.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
This is kinda funny to hear all the comments about how cheap GM wants to keep this car, but they are putting in the most advanced and expensive full production I4 GM ever made? The 2.4 VVT seems like a cool engine and all but what is wrong with giving people what they want? If people want keyless and will not complain about the price, then give it to them.
"Keep it simple, pure, and beautiful and it will be easy to love" -Bob Lutz

·
Registered
391 Posts
You have to admit that GM has much more simple engines that are cheaper to build. That is why I dont buy the back to basics line. This car is far from basic. But I love the bare bones car with the bigest engine idea:) they need to offer the V6 DOHC verry soon:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given that they tie into already exisiting electronic systems I don't think the cost is prohibited on either... the remote start could tie into the system that senses the manual transmission is in reverse and turns on the backup lights.

As for keyless start I expect all cars will have them in a few years. If you lived in a city where it gets cold and you wear gloves you'd appreciate not having to press a tiny button on a keyfob or fumble for a key in your man winter coat pockets.

Odd some would consider this feature an an additional complication to a simple roadster. Acutally it's simplifying the unlocking/starting process: just open the door and press a button. I want my Solstice to simple but convenient for daily driving, not a toy that is less comfortable/convenient to drive than other cars.

·
Registered
753 Posts
sounds like you may be in the market for the solstice sibling-saturn sky.
most people with manual transmission cars leave them in gear when parked... hit the remote starter and the starter motor will crank the engine and you will smash your new solstice into whatever is parked in front of you. i suppose you could engineer it to remote start only with the shifter in the neutral gate, but but that would add a lot of complexity for a limited benefit.
the sky is going to be offered with an automatic transmission which will make the remote starter idea a lot more practical. it is also being marketed as upscale in appointments compared to the solstice, if i'm reading correctly between the lines.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, exactly. Remote start on a manual transmission is pretty much impossible for the reasons stated. If the car is in gear, and you start it up you're going to break stuff.

Keyless start is one of those frivilous features for lazy people. I really don't expect to see it on the Pontiac or the Saturn. Possibly Buick or Cady though.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
cdb said:
most people with manual transmission cars leave them in gear when parked...
[edited] i suppose you could engineer it to remote start only with the shifter in the neutral gate, but but that would add a lot of complexity for a limited benefit.
You are correct in that you can engineer it to remote start only with the shifter in neutral, however it is not complex, or expensive to do either. How do you think your automatic shifter knows if you've pressed the brake down to shift out of Park? The very same solenoid system (or cable system, but most car companies are moving to pure electronics in shifters) can be used to do this on a manual.

Now, as to if it's beneficial... well, in the winter it would be great to start my car up when I'm getting ready to leave the office since it's been sitting outside all day.. but I don't plan on driving my Solstice in the winter here in Michigan.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
The advanced I4 is one reason why other features won't be seen. GM still wants to make money on the car, and you can only spend on so many features when you will be selling it at a $20K price point and make a profit. GM decided to spend the money where it counts the most on a back to basics roadster, the advanced 2.4L DOHC VVT engine, the all aluminum suspension to reduce unsprung weight, and the purpose built chassis to creeate a stiff platform to allow that suspension to do its thing.

To get fancy techno options like keyless ignition, remote start, and other stuff in a roadster such as this at $20K, you may have to sacrafice the nice engine for an old pushrod one (iron duke anyone?), and converted to RWD Delta platform chassis that would have less rigidity and more weight, and a parts shelf suspension that would ride rougher and not offer as much athleticism.

Back to basics in part means spending money on making the best true roadster driving experience. I'd rather have the stuff that does that and not a bunch of needless gewjaws to ooh and ahh.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88, you hit the nail right on the head for what I wanted to say. People are just expecting too much from GM's back to basic roadster.

Now if they made a Buick or Cady Kappa car that you paid $10,000+ for over the Solstice, then you can expect these options. GM's lower class cars really don't have a history of being massivley feature filled, but that's what makes them the lower end.

Since GM is such a vast company with so many branches they differentiate brands by features. However if you go to another company though that only has say it's normal division and it's upscale division a lot of times they have to blend higher scale options into the lower class to be able to compete with the vast array that is GM. Places like BMW or Porsche are known for their upscale ammenities on even their low end cars, because that's what makes them them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Back to basics in part means spending money on making the best true roadster driving experience. I'd rather have the stuff that does that and not a bunch of needless gewjaws to ooh and ahh.
I agree Fformula88! Keep the car simple and get it right the first time right out of the gate. This car was designed to be an updated pure and simple roadster. Not an upscale Gran Turisimo. It may evolve into that farther down the road, but for now, I'm liking the direction they've taken. Simple is best.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Fformula88, you hit the nail right on the head for what I wanted to say. People are just expecting too much from GM's back to basic roadster.
Expecations do seem to be getting awfully high for equipment levels on here. I understand it, people are just hoping for what they think would be an ideal roadster for them. Whether that includes a hardtop, keyless ignition, remote start, HUD, power top, lots of trunk space, tons of extra power. Sure its realistic to ask for it all in a cheap roadster, and its really not the Solstice's intent to offer all of this. Still, I can understand everyone's excitement and hope that their affordable roadster has the one or two high tech items they really want.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I can understand excitment and hope, but what iritates me is when people get upset when car companies don't meet peoples unrealistic dreams. Especially when they start bashing said company for things like this. It just frustrates me seeing all these people posting über expectations for the Solstice when it's a back to basics roadster.

But I also keep forgetting not everyone knows this is a back to basics roadster. They see this awesome car and expect the options to mach up with the awesome appearance. But not everyone knows this is a much lower priced roadster, and not an upclass cruiser. Guess I just gotta get used to it or my heads going to pop again. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Kbene said:
Does anyone know if the Solstice will have the new keyless ignition feature that seems to be on all the newly designed cars like the Acura this year?

Also, how about the remote start feature that seems to be available on the new GM cars?

I suspect they will be styandard features on future cars just the way the remote lock feature is now pretty much standard equipment.

That costs money, and is highly unlikely when you are trying to keep costs low.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
I can understand excitment and hope, but what iritates me is when people get upset when car companies don't meet peoples unrealistic dreams. Especially when they start bashing said company for things like this. It just frustrates me seeing all these people posting über expectations for the Solstice when it's a back to basics roadster.

But I also keep forgetting not everyone knows this is a back to basics roadster. They see this awesome car and expect the options to mach up with the awesome appearance. But not everyone knows this is a much lower priced roadster, and not an upclass cruiser. Guess I just gotta get used to it or my heads going to pop again. :D

GM tends to be a target for unrealistic expectations too. There is a group of GM haters out there that will bash GM no matter what. Look at the Edmunds town hall for examples. No matter what, the haters will immediately find something to criticize, whether its justifiable or not.

Sure GM has some problems, and they do disappoint in some areas, but the attacks certainly get blown out of proportion!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts