Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the Chevy dealer today since I was going by the place and asked them if any new info on my '06 Solstice and '10 HHR. Was told they had over 600 switches on order and some repairs have been made. Getting closer to my name and vin number. Wait for their call.

I get home and the mailman delivers two postcards informing me that the recall has not been performed on my cars as of May '14. Schedule Appointment Today. Also have another letter explaining the recall for the HHR.

I now have two postcards and six letters from GM. Sure wish they would quit wasting money on paperwork and postage and get the switches out to the dealers!!

No, I am not PO'd! Just speaking my mind. I continue to drive the HHR with three keys and a key fob hanging. Drive the Solstice with only the Key in the ignition as I have experienced one episode of failure...pushed the clutch in and re-fired the puppy back to life and drove on...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just called to get the ball rolling on mine today. 6-8 week wait for parts. I too have been getting flooded with "reminders" to get it done.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Just called to get the ball rolling on mine today. 6-8 week wait for parts. I too have been getting flooded with "reminders" to get it done.
Good luck on the 6-8 weeks. I talked to my dealer last week because of my latch issue. (He said it would be cheaper to replace my latch at that time since they have to keep the door locks to the new ignition). And he said probably another 6-8 weeks for me....and I've already had my parts on order for about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Considering it's been sixty days since ordered, I called the local Chevy dealer for a switch and lock cylinder update. The service advisor told me that since the replacement parts were all one-for-one associated with a VIN, he thought my parts may be in sometime next week. He indicated they've done about 130 ignition switches at their dealership so far.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Stopped by the Chevy dealer today since I was going by the place and asked them if any new info on my '06 Solstice and '10 HHR. Was told they had over 600 switches on order and some repairs have been made. Getting closer to my name and vin number. Wait for their call.

I get home and the mailman delivers two postcards informing me that the recall has not been performed on my cars as of May '14. Schedule Appointment Today. Also have another letter explaining the recall for the HHR.

I now have two postcards and six letters from GM. Sure wish they would quit wasting money on paperwork and postage and get the switches out to the dealers!!
Yup, I just got another letter today about the recall -- and my car had the recall completed almost two weeks ago. Sometimes in a big corporation, the communications between headquarters and the dealers is not as good as it should be. Plus, being gun shy about this issue, maybe they would rather err on the side of caution and send too many rather than have someone say they never heard about it. :dunno:

No, I am not PO'd! Just speaking my mind. I continue to drive the HHR with three keys and a key fob hanging.
Why? 13 people are already D-E-A-D because of this issue. Why try to be # 14? How lucky do ya feel?

Just my :jm2c:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm sure they are sending out all of the reminders to try to precent even more lawsuits and to keep the government off their backs.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Got my 06 Solstice done last week. It only took about three weeks to get the switch once it was ordered. The dealer took about two hours to replace the parts.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Riggs same here only my car is apart waiting on the front swaybar I ordered awhile ago so I can finish my suspension mods . Right now I'm not too concerned but if the bar ever gets here anytime soon I may have to call the dealer again and push the issue as my wife won't ride in the car till it's fixed mmmmm could be a blessing in disguise ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good luck re-firing when in a crash.
Exactly. It's not just about the ignition switching off from too many keys. If someone else hits you, and the ignition slips off, the airbags won't work.

Even if you can restart it while driving, that doesn't mean the driver behind you will notice you slowed down. If it's a semi and he rolls over you, I'm not sure Spider Man reflexes in turning it on so the airbags work will help.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Oh so THERE'S my letters... I got none from them and my new switch has been in place for weeks.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Still waiting and waiting and waiting on both cars to be fixed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Exactly. It's not just about the ignition switching off from too many keys. If someone else hits you, and the ignition slips off, the airbags won't work.
My guess is that when this episode(crash) happens, the ignition will be in the ON MODE, thus triggering the airbags in less than a split second. Once triggered the bag would have deployed even if the key goes off at impact .IMO

In his case, if he get rear ended while ignition is off, then they wont deploy, but even if he just gets it to the run position and not started they will deploy.

Lots of ifs but and ands with the problem with this recall. If it was as bad as they say, they would tell you not to drive it at all and park it. If you choose to drive with more than the key and fob then the risk is yours. I have always only carried no more than 2 keys on any of my vehicles after I had this episode happen to me in a 79 chevy 4x4 while off roading. I had a fistful of keys flopping around and it turned my truck off in the middle of a hill climb. Scared the sheet out of me btw. Since then only 2 keys max. I always see people with a half dozen keys plus on their key ring...For me anyway, its just a royal pain in the ace trying to find the right key. I like to get in, seat belt up and go..

·
Registered
498 Posts
I got a post card from a dealership from out of town reminding me to schedule an appointment for the ignition swap. I think they are trying to snipe business from my local (in the town I live in) GM dealership. I read that a recall is a boon to dealerships, because they get to charge the manufacturer all service related costs.

·
Registered
625 Posts

Even if you can restart it while driving, that doesn't mean the driver behind you will notice you slowed down. If it's a semi and he rolls over you, I'm not sure Spider Man reflexes in turning it on so the airbags work will help.
It isn't about too many keys. It is about a defective part being installed in the car. GM has already admitted that. Why are some still trying to blame the drivers, when it was admitted by GM, that it was their fault?

·
Registered
625 Posts
My guess is that when this episode(crash) happens, the ignition will be in the ON MODE, thus triggering the airbags in less than a split second. Once triggered the bag would have deployed even if the key goes off at impact .IMO

In his case, if he get rear ended while ignition is off, then they wont deploy, but even if he just gets it to the run position and not started they will deploy.

Lots of ifs but and ands with the problem with this recall. If it was as bad as they say, they would tell you not to drive it at all and park it. If you choose to drive with more than the key and fob then the risk is yours. I have always only carried no more than 2 keys on any of my vehicles after I had this episode happen to me in a 79 chevy 4x4 while off roading. I had a fistful of keys flopping around and it turned my truck off in the middle of a hill climb. Scared the sheet out of me btw. Since then only 2 keys max. I always see people with a half dozen keys plus on their key ring...For me anyway, its just a royal pain in the ace trying to find the right key. I like to get in, seat belt up and go..
Simple solution: push button start.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
The parts FINALLY arrived for the G5! :yay:

I wonder how long it will take for the parts to arrive for the GXP?! :brentil:

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
CORRECTION: The parts for the GXP arrived! :lol: :glol: :rofl:

·
Registered