Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM offers employee pricing to owners of recalled vehicles - Autoblog

Owners affected by the General Motors ignition switch recall are getting even an better incentive to return to its brands for their next new car. The automaker says that these drivers can now get employee pricing on its models. Previously, GM was only offering them a $500 discount if they bought a new 2013 to 2015 vehicle.

According to GM spokesperson Jim Cain speaking to Autoblog, the company has been offering the incentive to affected owners for about a month. But it purposefully isn't advertising it or disclosing volumes. "We want to give dealers as many tools as they need to satisfy customers," he said. Buyers get employee pricing on 2013 to 2015 models, which is a certain percentage below dealer invoice, and it replaces the previous $500 offer. It will be available throughout the duration of the recall.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the original $500 enticement wasn't enough to bring buyers back to showrooms. Many of the roughly 2.6 million affected vehicles are on their second or third owners, and they might not be able to afford a new car.

GM's recall campaign for the ignition switches began in April. Cain said the effort is going as planned. Delphi is running multiple shifts for replacement parts and may add a second or third production line. The company expects to have a majority of vehicles repaired by October. In the meantime, affected drivers can take advantage of free loaners while their car is serviced.

CHOPTOP WONDERS IF THE C7 IS INCLUDED? :devil:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
NO IS NOT at the moment for 2015's, already checked with the GM Service Rep here on the forum.
Also there is no dealer that will sell you a 2014 at GM employee pricing except for Kerbeck.
He has an over stock of 2014 convertibles and is participating for a very short window of time.
Probably less than 2 weeks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you have to trade in your Sol? (no pun intended, ok maybe just a little) I'm ready for a truck and will be trading in my 09 Malibu.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Again YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TRADE IN YOUR IGNITION RECALL VEHECLE!
What GM wants to accomplish with this new unadvertised program, is get you back as a happy owner of a NEW GM car.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
If only GM built a two seat sports car that was less than $53,000. :lol:

·
Registered
680 Posts
My wife has been bugging me about test driving a new SS convertible and possibly trading in the Solstice. I told her I don't want another car payment, even though I would love to have a Camaro. I like the hardtops better and after talking to my neighbor, apparently the convertibles were having issues with the top. I haven't done enough research on them yet.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
My wife has been bugging me about test driving a new SS convertible and possibly trading in the Solstice. I told her I don't want another car payment, even though I would love to have a Camaro. I like the hardtops better and after talking to my neighbor, apparently the convertibles were having issues with the top. I haven't done enough research on them yet.
Tell her to trade in her vehicle for the ss, win for you and win for her...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Lots of issues with the Camaro tops. Check the Camaro5 forum. Coupes are pretty good, though. Think sun roof

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks guys. Oh how I would love a '69 with modern upgrades. Thanks for the link as well. I might just test drive a new one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
a friend of mine has a new camaro.my head is too close to the roof,i think theres more headroom in the sol.i looked at honda s-2000s but there was no headroom and it was very cramped for me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
a friend of mine has a new camaro.my head is too close to the roof,i think theres more headroom in the sol.i looked at honda s-2000s but there was no headroom and it was very cramped for me.
Did you drop the seat to the floor? I am just shy of 6 feet, and with it dropped, plenty of room for me and my hat, even with a sun roof.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I test drove two Chevy cars recently.

1. Camaro V6 2LT Manual - I hoped that it would be a more spritely version of the muscle car and possibly more fun to drive than the big hairy chested SS. I had the same reaction I did to driving the SS. Very uninspiring. Felt slow and very heavy with little confidence to put the car where I wanted to. Shifting felt short but also notchy and heavy. Something was burning, because I kept smelling rubber from the vents; I'm suspecting a belt issue was the culprit. I understand the passion people have with Camaros and Mustangs; my dad and uncle have had many Camaros over the years ('68 Z28, '69 SS, 88 IROC-Z). There's something about them. But I can't convince myself to ever buy a new one. The backseat is absolutely pointless. Why not make it lighter with only two seats? It's an outdated layout that is unnecessary. Way too expensive for what you get. The only version that is any form of a bargain is the Z-28, because it's $100k performance at a $75k price tag. The rest are just not great value. I just can't fall in love with them like I thought I would. It's disappointing.

2. Sonic RS Turbo Manual - Loved it. An absolute joy to drive. Light on its feet and handled well. Slightly longer shift throws, but direct and light. It actually felt much faster than the Camaro, and was immensly more rewarding to take to its limits. I've seen online that a simple trifecta ECM tune boosts HP by anywhere from 30-50. Incredible. I had a huge smile on my face before I even got out of the dealership lot. Lots of space for actual adults and storage. Great car. Well done Chevy.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I find it interesting you feel the Sonic felt faster, maybe it was because of the small size and the Camaro being about 700 pounds heavier. I have only sat in one, but just looking at numbers, the Sonic is a turd compared to the Camaro V6 even in the turbocharged formation. The V6 Camaro is very close to our GXP's.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I find it interesting you feel the Sonic felt faster, maybe it was because of the small size and the Camaro being about 700 pounds heavier. I have only sat in one, but just looking at numbers, the Sonic is a turd compared to the Camaro V6 even in the turbocharged formation. The V6 Camaro is very close to our GXP's.
It's the go cart effect. The most common example would be comparing a Miata/Solstice to a Camaro/Mustang. Much more fun and exciting to drive, despite being slower on paper.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts