Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT — General Motors is adding more than 588,000 vehicles to a recall to fix ignition switches that can shut off engines and cause crashes.

The company says it's adding Saturn Ion compacts from 2003 through 2007, and Chevrolet HHR SUVs and Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky sports cars from 2006 and 2007.

The additional vehicles increase the total recall to 1.37 million. GM announced Feb. 13 that it would recall 780,000 Chevrolet Cobalts and Pontiac G5s from the 2005 through 2007 model years.

GM says the problem has been linked to 31 crashes and 13 front-seat deaths.

GM says a heavy key ring or jarring from rough roads can move the ignition out of the run position, cutting of the engine. If that happens, the front air bags may not work.

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am with you...I will wait and see ...and ask the dealer what all is involved ..I don't want them breaking any thing .........:(

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think I agree with both of you all because unless they are going to replace the door locks and the glove box lock, I am not interested because I don't want to have to carry around 2 keys and always have to guess which one goes to the ignition and which one goes to the glovebox and doors.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think I agree with both of you all because unless they are going to replace the door locks and the glove box lock, I am not interested because I don't want to have to carry around 2 keys and always have to guess which one goes to the ignition and which one goes to the glovebox and doors.
I've had cars with separate door and ignition keys from the factory. The plus side is that you can just leave the key in the ignition and only need to carry around one key. ;)

BTW: I would think they would rekey the ignition to match the other locks on the solstice.

·
Registered
742 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
I have an owners center account , below the result. It clearly list there are no active recalls. Like stated elsewhere in this thread I think GM will need some time to inform all owners.

Because this is a safety related issue I am definitely going to get this service done when GM tells me it is necessary. But I do hope they do not wait too long because I am gonna export my car in a couple of months.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Give it some time. It takes a week or two before your VIN will show. Furthermore, I can say that ALL Solstice and Skys use the same ignition part number. So I'm guessing that they will all eventually be recalled. Ford did the same thing during the Firestone recall. They recalled them in groups. It's a way to curb costs and make sure the parts are available. Especially with the first quarter ending next month.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Funny how the Canadian Owner Centre doesn't even have a page to check for recalls, basically only a promo site to get people to sign up for GMPP...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't have anything but the fob on my key. I think I will take my chances.
Please read the recall carefully. Weight on the key is just part of the problem.

Here is what GM said:

GM says a heavy key ring or jarring from rough roads can move the ignition out of the run position, cutting of the engine. If that happens, the front air bags may not work.

I guess it comes down to "How lucky do you feel?"

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am with you...I will wait and see ...and ask the dealer what all is involved ..I don't want them breaking any thing .........:(
The steering column has to be taken apart so they can get to the ignition switch.

Does this recall apply to Canadian models?
I would speculate yes. I would think that with the solstice it should include the 06 models, did they make an 05 sol? Nope, found out sols started in 06 AND are included in the recall..cool

·
Registered
25 Posts
I called our local GM dealer. (He said) its not official yet that we will be sent a letter when parts are made available.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
well, on my 06, sometimes the car will not start and if you turn the key on and off several times it starts. My son also ran it into a curb last year and cracked a rim and blew out 2 tires and the airbags never went off so it sounds like it really needs it. Also, the turn signal is busted and does not lock to the right and won't cancel to the left and it would be cool if I could order one and have them install it while they were doing the ignition and only charge me a small fee since they will already have it apart. I'm gonna order one and wait a while and who knows, maybe I can find a place that that will work out a good deal with me. You'd be surprised at what people will do for a case of beer:)

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
well, on my 06, sometimes the car will not start and if you turn the key on and off several times it starts. My son also ran it into a curb last year and cracked a rim and blew out 2 tires and the airbags never went off so it sounds like it really needs it.
Neither of these are to do with the recall. The recall is only because the lock cylinder can slip out of "run" to "off". Thus the engine stops (along with power steering and brakes) and the airbags are disabled.

Your starting issue may be a faulty cylinder or switch and replacing the cylinder might fix that. But the airbag issue is nothing to do with it and likely they are working as designed anyway. The airbags shouldn't deploy unless the sensors detect sudden deceleration (i.e. a frontal crash). Hitting a curb should NOT trigger them.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
yeah, I know the tires are not a trigger point for the air bags but the front of the car really took a beating especially with the tire coming off the rim which ate off the wheel well liner and the fact that it was hard enough to knock the camber adjuster over 90º then that could have been a possibility. anyway, the lock is very worn so maybe we will get lucky and cure that problem as I've duplicated the failure a few times and poked and prodded every connection and the only way to get it to start is by jiggeling the key.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts