Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the ignition replaced last fall under the recall' This spring my battery will not hold a charge and the ignition seems to be binding when I turn the key. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had the ignition replaced last fall under the recall' This spring my battery will not hold a charge and the ignition seems to be binding when I turn the key. Anyone else have this problem?
Sounds like you have two non-related problems...

1) If the dealer replaced the ignition switch and it is binding, I would take it back to the dealer and have them correct the problem.

2) Battery not holding a charge.

What year is your car and is it the original battery? Even if you have a 2009, the original battery is going on six years old and approaching the end of its service life. Assuming no defect in the charging system (no instrument panel warning lights), it is probably time for a new battery.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
battery

The battery is original 2006 with 13K miles - I have a new redtop optima on order

Ignition has been binding since they replaced the switch last year.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I think I found the problem - when they replaced the switch they only gave me one key back which worked OK - I had to wait two months for the second key which is the one that is binding - I guess I did not use it till this spring. Apparently they either underground or overground it - I called the dealer and they said they would correct it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the battery.

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Sounds like you have this problem well in hand.

Its amazing that your battery lasted this long!

Ours both died last year and were replaced. Two years earlier than yours. You got a lot of life from that battery Sir.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think I found the problem - when they replaced the switch they only gave me one key back which worked OK - I had to wait two months for the second key which is the one that is binding - I guess I did not use it till this spring. Apparently they either underground or overground it - I called the dealer and they said they would correct it.

I don't think it has anything to do with the battery.
Yes, some of the new keys they need to file it down a bit before it works, the original cut when they do it from system memory might be a bit off.

I had both my keys cut again for this. Keys didn't work with door locks initially, they filed it down and it bound the ignition.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The battery is original 2006 with 13K miles.
Miles mean almost nothing. Age means everything. With 9 years on the original battery, you are waaaay on borrowed time.

Ignition has been binding since they replaced the switch last year.
As I stated previously and you have since discovered, the key problem and battery problem are totally non-related.

Congrats! It sounds like you have successfully resolved both issues.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved - the second key was not ground properly. As far as the battery I have an optima red top orders from Amazon - I have aa mechanic locally who has done it before for about $30.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts