Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as I'm only a humble janitor pulling in a big $11.99 per-hour; but, just the same, it's fun to dream!

I think it's cool that -- what I regard as arguably the best looking sports car on the planet -- costs so much less than all those impractical 400-plus horsepower monsters out there. After all, who really needs to go 180 mph in a 65 mph world?

It's about time that an American car manufacturer is on the verge of hitting one out of the ball park! I just hope that they get the whole product at least 98% right when it comes out of the shoot, as too often in the past Detroit would deliver cool cars that were only 90% on the money, with cheap interiors usually being the short come. The all-new C-6 Corvette is a good example there -- FINALLY making it a true babe after all these years (even if it is over-muscled;-).

If I could change one thing about the Solstice, I'd get rid of those dumb Pontiac emblems on the sides of the hood, as in my opinion it's overkill in trying to make darn sure that the world knows it's a Pontiac. Subtly counts.

"IF" I were to ever find a way to afford one, Methinks a white one would be the bomb!

Good luck to all you folks that are in line to get one ... may you not be disappointed and may your driving be safe!!

Thanks for letting me ramble!!;-)

·
Registered
33 Posts
It never hurts to dream!

James, Dont think of it as a dream think of it as a goal! Say even if you can't afford one brand new, in just a few years there will be deals to be had on used ones, or lease backs. If you set your mind to it, im sure you can make it work if its something you really want.
Hell im living proof that dreams/goals can come true, Im a college drop out and now I manage a very successfull buisness and have a small share in the comany now too.
No matter what you want in life all comes down to will,determination and your own personal work ethic.

Cheers, James and work on that goal.
ps welcome to the site.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just to second what ambient said, a used sports car can be a very good bargain. My first "real" car out of college was a used sports car that I picked up for about a third of the price of a new one. Sports cars often depreciate faster than more practical sedans from the same manufacturer, and the Soltice is going to be fairly affordable right out of the gate, so I'd expect it to be quite a value when they start showing up on the used market in a few years.

-Stephen M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ambient, your kindness has made my day!

Thanks!

I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps if I take your advice I'll be able to get one down the road sometime.

Take Care!;-)

P.S. Thanks for welcoming me here! It's a neat place fer sure!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
plus, there might be a few trade-ins when the high HP version comes out. if it comes out only a year after the launch, odds are that any trade-ins would have low miles and low wear. unless it was mine! :jester

James said:
Thanks!

I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps if I take your advice I'll be able to get one down the road sometime.

Take Care!;-)

P.S. Thanks for welcoming me here! It's a neat place fer sure!!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Told my son when he had eyes bigger than his wallet , "If you like that truck so much, save your money and in five years you can buy it. Of course, it'll be five years older, but you could afford it by then." Despite the fact he's still only making $9.50/hr, he just bought a Expedition that originally listed for almost $40,000. Paid $10,000 with $3,000 down.

I anticipate some 2006 MY $24,000 Solstices to be selling for under $10,000 in around three years after introduction. With $2,400 down, that's around $180/month on a four year note. If you save just $50/month for 48 months (and stop saving when you bought it) that's just an additional $130/month for car payment. I bet you could afford that.

Remember, EVERYONE on the site is waiting for a car they can't buy now. A lot have said they'll wait longer for a faster car. You never know, maybe you'll end up buying a Solstice before they do!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Welcome onboard James. Never say never! The Solstice is cheap enough that a couple years down the road used ones should definately be very affordable. Unfortunately that will take a couple years and that is a long time to wait. Just don't give up yet!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks To All 4 The Encouragement!!!

I think I'll take your advice and save some money and get a used one. NOW I can't wait!!!!!!!

Again, THANKS!!!!;-)

·
Registered
281 Posts
James said:
I think I'll take your advice and save some money and get a used one. NOW I can't wait!!!!!!!

Again, THANKS!!!!;-)
looks like a good bunch of people here, yes? if you can make it to St Louis, MO, we can take a drive in mine when i get her! :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
James said:

Again, THANKS!!!!;-)
Now your talking! :smile

Actually, based on one of our polls, it looks like a lot of people will be waiting for a higher output version at first and not buying a Solstice right away. You won't be the only person dying to get a Solstice and having to wait a little while! (I may end up in that boat too, not sure whether I will take the plunge right away or hold out for a higher output version). Maybe Troy can add a waiting room forum for everyone who is holding out on buying after the base car is introduced! :lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Rental other option

Just thought that more than likely rental compainies will have these cars too, for those that have to wait, or choose to wait, just spend $50 for the weekend and enjoy it then return it! Heck they have mustang and pt crusier convertibles at the local budget rental here, so the solstice should not be that far off for them to offer too. Just a thought!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Show me the money

Hey James,
I feel your pain. Forever I have wanted the Audi TT. I make 30 cents less than you so both you and I know that the TT is just a dream. As you can tell by my profile I love to shop so that makes it even harder. If it weren't for me living with my parents and finally starting to be a responsible adult about shopping (or lack of it now), I wouldn't be able to afford the solstice. I also have a 1998 Honda Civic that only has 45,000 miles on it, so I will be able to sell it for a pretty good amount. Anyway I'm going on and on but just wanted to let you know I want the TT like you want the solstice :crazy
Everyone is right though the saving thing really does work. A little every month ends up alot at the end of the year =) KEEP THE SOLSTICE FAITH MAN ............... or look for a sugar ma ma hee hee hee

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Hey Pammy, have you tried looking for a used TT that may fit your budget? They have been for sale for a number of years now, and there has to be some out there at a more affordable price. At least as affordable as a new Solstice would be anyway!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tt

I did look at some used ones but they were almost as expensive as buying a new one. It's okay because I have come to love the solstice as I love the TT. Oh yeah I also love the smell of a new car :crazy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts