Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been really fun reading and watching the news events and discussions on the Solstice. After reviewing the latest pictures and specifications I have just about decided against the Solstice as my next car. I'm currently confirmed for an EOP car, and not sure if I will cancel my order or not just yet. Thanks to everyone for the great discussions; I hope you all get your Solstice made to order.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
What has you changing your mind? Just the desire to buy sooner? Maybe one of the shortcomings of the car?

Best of luck in whatever direction you decide to go in. If you cancel your EOP order, your going to make someone on the waiting list VERY happy!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
What did you decide to buy? Good luck with whatever you are going with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want my decision to affect anybody on this site. My reasons are that the car has shortcomings for me. A few problems for me (not others):

Design of the tops winglets
Interior design compared to the Sky
No traction control option (yet)
Weight restriction (353 lbs)
Power to weight ratio (new Miata is better)
Time to market

These issues had an overall effect on my decision. I will shift gears and wait for the Saturn Sky to hit its fever pitch and see if that may be a better fit. I look forward to the upcoming versions that will address these concerns; hopefully. For now, I will pass and keep looking until next year. Good luck everyone! :grouphug:
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Best of luck to you too! If it doesn't fit your desires, then it certainly is not the car to get because you will regret it later! Hope you find what your looking for! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Delnari said:
It has been really fun reading and watching the news events and discussions on the Solstice. After reviewing the latest pictures and specifications I have just about decided against the Solstice as my next car. I'm currently confirmed for an EOP car, and not sure if I will cancel my order or not just yet. Thanks to everyone for the great discussions; I hope you all get your Solstice made to order.
I totally understand what you are going throught. I am sorta in the same boat as you. Just about everyday I am leaning more and more towards the 350Z convertible or the 2006 3 Series BMW. I am really trying to hold out for the Solstice. I am really in no hurry to buy any car right now, that is why I am content with nothing now. The way I figure it, the longer I wait the more money I can have saved up for the car.

Good luck with any car you go to.

:)
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
Solo said:
I totally understand what you are going throught. I am sorta in the same boat as you. Just about everyday I am leaning more and more towards the 350Z convertible or the 2006 3 Series BMW. I am really trying to hold out for the Solstice. I am really in no hurry to buy any car right now, that is why I am content with nothing now. The way I figure it, the longer I wait the more money I can have saved up for the car.

Good luck with any car you go to.

:)
Not only can you save more for a down payment, but the Solstice will also cost you far less than a new Z or 3 series ragtop! Both can climb in price very quickly! (Although both are nice too!)
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Delnari said:
I don't want my decision to affect anybody on this site. My reasons are that the car has shortcomings for me. A few problems for me (not others):
Don't worry about affecting others, the point of a forum is to share your POV, it's up to the reader to take the opinions of others for use in creating their perspective on an issue(s). That said, I have reservations about the Solstice, and make it vocal, but not overtly as to offend.

I, on the otherhand, have time to let the Solstice play out. Getting the MSM at a great value allows me to kick back, and watch it happen. I'll see mag reviews, and see member reviews, and then decide, but that's years from now (heck, the 1st year hasn't even been delidered yet!)

The Solstice won't be for everyone, that's for sure. We all wish you the best with your next ride, and come back to share with us what car you got, when it happens!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
Delnari:
You wrote EOP not 1'st 1000, if it is the later why not get the car and then if you do not like it sell it, you probably will be able to sell for more than what you are paying for it now. Then use that to buy the SKY.
Just a thought, but good luck with whatever you decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
LatinVenom said:
Delnari:
You wrote EOP not 1'st 1000, if it is the later why not get the car and then if you do not like it sell it, you probably will be able to sell for more than what you are paying for it now. Then use that to buy the SKY.
Just a thought, but good luck with whatever you decide.

Yes, I have one of the first 1000 cars, order confirmed. I'm toying with the idea of taking delivery or at least taking it for a really long test drive :)

Looking at the previously owned cars has my interest at the moment. The BMW M roadster, Porsche Boxster, and Honda S2000 are looking good for the going price. I know the BMW and Porsche are going to cost the most to maintain, but the Honda really lacks the torque punch the other 2 have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I am on the waiting list...This is to anyone else who is "on the fence" about canceling your order...Please do!! I need all the help I can to get onto the EOP 1st 1000 list. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Delnari said:
I don't want my decision to affect anybody on this site. My reasons are that the car has shortcomings for me. A few problems for me (not others):

Design of the tops winglets
Interior design compared to the Sky
No traction control option (yet)
Weight restriction (353 lbs)
Power to weight ratio (new Miata is better)
Time to market

These issues had an overall effect on my decision. I will shift gears and wait for the Saturn Sky to hit its fever pitch and see if that may be a better fit. I look forward to the upcoming versions that will address these concerns; hopefully. For now, I will pass and keep looking until next year. Good luck everyone! :grouphug:
Good luck with your choice in the future, :agree: with your thinking, if the shoe fits put it on, if not find another one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Delnari said:
Yes, I have one of the first 1000 cars, order confirmed. I'm toying with the idea of taking delivery or at least taking it for a really long test drive :)

Looking at the previously owned cars has my interest at the moment. The BMW M roadster, Porsche Boxster, and Honda S2000 are looking good for the going price. I know the BMW and Porsche are going to cost the most to maintain, but the Honda really lacks the torque punch the other 2 have.
Why don't you take delivery.....and then take that long test drive up to my house in western NY. I'll be waiting for you. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
The top problem dosen't bother me I plan to have it down all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Delnari said:
I don't want my decision to affect anybody on this site. My reasons are that the car has shortcomings for me. A few problems for me (not others):

Design of the tops winglets
Interior design compared to the Sky
No traction control option (yet)
Weight restriction (353 lbs)
Power to weight ratio (new Miata is better)Time to market
I notice the lack of trunk space isn't an issue for you. But I imagine that when the FI Sky comes out, it will eliminate all your issues except the top winglets.... (Waving hands over crystal ball) I see a dark Sky in your future.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DreamerDave said:
I notice the lack of trunk space isn't an issue for you. But I imagine that when the FI Sky comes out, it will eliminate all your issues except the top winglets.... (Waving hands over crystal ball) I see a dark Sky in your future.....
Thanks to everyone who has responded. It been heavy on my mind for a while now. After talking to a Saturn salesman yesterday, I feel better about waiting this out. The truck space is not an issue since this is a recreational car for me. I don't mind spending up to $30K for this type of car, and honestly the new Sky Redline is looking like a better fit if I can wait it out.

For those on the fence about what the Solstice is currently offering; you too may want to consider waiting for the GXP version next summer. I really want my car to excite me each and everytime I get into it. If mallettcars.com goes through with his plans I might consider this option, but lack of specifics on the car at this time has me watching and waiting.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
I think you will see in your other thread on the Saturn dealers info that I would be a little suspicious of the timing he gave you for a Redline model, at least as far as having an exact date nailed down at this point.

If anything, I suspect a Redline/GXP won't be out until at least when they introduce the 2007 model year cars, and that typically happens closer to fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fformula88 said:
I think you will see in your other thread on the Saturn dealers info that I would be a little suspicious of the timing he gave you for a Redline model, at least as far as having an exact date nailed down at this point.

If anything, I suspect a Redline/GXP won't be out until at least when they introduce the 2007 model year cars, and that typically happens closer to fall.
Yes, we have all been burned in the past with these so call "delivery dates". I have a better source meeting with Jill Laijack today. They will let me know the official word from the horse's mouth, sorry Jill I didn't mean to call you a horse. ;) I will follow-up with the information once they get out of this meeting.

As far as delivery times for the GXP, it can be introduced as a 2007 model after June 1 since it would be consider a new design model. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top