Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. This will be the last tread I start

Looks like I'm not getting a Solstice after planning on it for almost two years. Seems when I left the $1000 deposit check with my dealer back on March 14, I had been so adamant about dealer markups above MSRP that I said something to the effect, "If you won't sell it at list, I'll buy it someplace else." When I got "Wait Listed" on April 15, the sales manager told me repeatedly, "We've been promised 10 cars and we'll be happy to sell you one of those." I mistakenly assumed that meant he'd sell me one from his normal allocation. Well it seems that was just another one of their lies. I knew he hadn't been promised any cars back then just as I knew that they hadn't enrolled in the EOP program until the day after I left my deposit, in spite of their claims that they were all ready enrolled. I didn't worry about my deposit check never getting cashed 'cuz I just (wrongly) assumed that they wouldn't cash it till sometime late in the ordering process. Well, since they're selling them for $3000 over, they assumed I didn't want one anymore or at least not from them. Car never got ordered. Accept it and move on...

OK.. so I'm driving a car that's falling apart around me and I can't wait till the next 9000 Solstices hit the dealers. I've got to get a replacement now, this week, not next spring. Help me choose from the following used cars, all around $20,000 from the AutoTrader:

2003 MINI Cooper S, 24,300 miles, asking $21,000, dark gray with black stripes and black interior. Thinking it'd compliment a Sly Solstice in a few of years 'cuz I really want a roadster.

2002 Honda S2000, 24,100 miles asking only $15,200, bright yellow, black interior. The catch is it was carried over to London by the owner/seller and he found out there was no way he could get it road legal there. Have to add on transportation back to the states ( he's working on that estimate). My WAG is between 4 and 6 thousand. Interesting thing is it appears to have a Paxton-type supercharger in the under hood picture.

2000 BMW M Roadster, 38,800 miles, asking $22,500, metallic maroon, black interior It's not the 315HP version that came out in 2001 but 250HP ought to get me by.

2000 Corvette Convertible, 40,000 miles, asking $23,500 Black,tan interior. fully loaded (12 CD changer, HUD, memory power seats, etc}Think with 350HP, I could live without the 6 speed I'm thinking I'd prefer. Really thinking hard about this one but the number one reason against it is that, at 53, I would voluntarily climbing into a pigeonhole that I don't feel I belong in. But, damn, it looks good!

·
4,592 Posts
DreamerDave, it's a shame to hear you're moving on, you've been with us forever. I'm sure you'll stick around to keep in touch. BEST OF LUCK on your new car decision. Any chance it might be considered a "hold-me-over"?

RODEO

:grouphug:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
DAVE NOOO!!!! Don't do it!

I'll check with my dealer on Monday, I think he's got 3-4 more left. They WILL sell at MSRP too! I know FL is quite a ways from TX but if you want I will let them know to hold one and give you their contact info. Don't give up just yet!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, ya never know. I've always hung on to my cars till I've 'bout worn the wheels off at over 200,000. Put 285,000 on a '81 "Datsun" 200SX a car or two ago. If I go with the Mini, I see a Solstice in my not to distant future. Or if whatever I end up with develops some unforeseen terminal malady, it might have me back in a Pontiac dealer (a thing I dread) before too long.

·
4,592 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Well, ya never know. I've always hung on to my cars till I've 'bout worn the wheels off at over 200,000. Put 285,000 on a '81 "Datsun" 200SX a car or two ago. If I go with the Mini, I see a Solstice in my not to distant future. Or if whatever I end up with develops some unforeseen terminal malady, it might have me back in a Pontiac dealer (a thing I dread) before too long.
Well, there you go!!!! We all vote for a hold-me-over!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Bimmer might make a more subtile statement if that's important. As a holdover it might be more practical and therefore be worth keeping when you get a turbo Solstice. Not sure what the right answer is, but think about what you can enjoy now and later.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I'd go with the Mini. It looks like a fun little car.

That dealer needs to be reported. We should create a dealer blacklist for people like that, so that future buyers don't end up at bad dealerships.

·
Registered
479 Posts
DreamerDave, before you make your decision, try contacting Sooolstice, I think I read on a thread somewhere that the bidders on EBAY did not come thru. Also his purchase was in Idaho, and supposedly that is where vin # 1 is heading, Might be worth a shot!

·
Registered
137 Posts
del_utz said:
DreamerDave, before you make your decision, try contacting Sooolstice, I think I read on a thread somewhere that the bidders on EBAY did not come thru. Also his purchase was in Idaho, and supposedly that is where vin # 1 is heading, Might be worth a shot!
I think I read in a thread earlier today that Sooolstice got #35 which is again listed on eBay.

DreamerDave, you should PM him because he may hold the solution to your problem.

Worst case, if you have to buy now (and I'm with the others - you should try to hold out!) take a hard look at the Vette. I owned a 2000 and it was absolutely sweeeeeet!

Best of luck in this really difficult decision! :cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Be careful!!!

That S2000 sounds fishy! I saw almost the exact same thing for a G35 for $14000. The guy told me that his wife was transferred to Greece and he took the car, but that he wasn't going to be able to get it road legal, so he was going to sell it, but it had to be shipped back to the states. IT WAS A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wanted me to wire him a $7000 deposit via Western Union, and he even used "Squaretrade" to make it sound legit. I contacted squaretrade and they told me it was a scam. Check it out before you go for that nice of a deal!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really don't have any thing more to add but just noticed this is is my 1000th post!! How's that for an solid irony drip!!! :yesnod: :( :lol: :leaving:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Wonder why car dealers have such a bad reputation? :( I think the blacklist is a great idea :yesnod:

Dave - at 53 your not a spring chicken, but hey, you're not ready to be put out to pasture either! If you've never owned a Vette, this may be fate's way a telling you now is the time! :thumbs:

Personally, I find the Mini a rediculous car - not something a mature, respectable Man should drive (or even ride in :lol: )

The Honda may be a scam as stated by skyhigh.

Not a fan of the BMW - but might be the better 'hold over' of the bunch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
:agree: Dave, go for the vette or the beamer. Every time I see those mini-coopers, I start wondering how many clowns are going to come out of those things. Definately a clown car. Good Luck, I too have had nothing but pain from dealer so far. I agree with the others on maybe a hold over car til you get back on the list. Hell, by then we'll all be in the same boat and driving these things.You won't have that much missed time than the rest of us. :cool:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd hold out for the Solstice, but that is me! If you can't find one locally, PM me and I'll give you my dealer's number and name. He's getting 3 on the first allocation and I don't think any are sold as of yesterday. Good Luck either way.

·
5,600 Posts
Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about your rotten dealer experience.

FWIW, the Mini would be fun with a lower-case "f". I think you would have a lot more fun with one of the other 3.

Next, I would pass on the supercharged S2000. Unless you can vouch for its providence, these cars terrify me on the used market due to potential abuse by previous race car wannabe owners. I have no bias against the cars themselves, but the S2ki forum is so filled with posts about racing and clutch dumps, I don't think you can expect long term reliability from any used S2000 unless you personally know who owned the car.

I think you would love the Vette, but if I has the choice I would go for the "M" roadster in a heartbeat. Everyone who owns them seems to love them and agree they really transform the car. 250 HP is plenty and the car is reasonably small and light weight. So while you can't go wrong with the Vette or the "M" car, I would jump on the "M".

Dave, they will be making Sosltice's for many years to come. When your "M" roadster gets up in years, find a good Pontiac dealer and come and join us driving our Solstices. We'll leave the light on for you. :grouphug:

Jimbo

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would definately find a first allocation Solstice somewhere, there are still many to be had for MSRP if you look hard enough, I know my dealer has a couple but that's probably not going to help since I'm in California.

If you must commit the unpardonable sin (I.e. Not get the Solstice) then go for the vette, no question!

The funny thing is that this post comes from the very first guy to put a Solstice on e-bay :). (I've since repented).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts