Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this group. I've been spending most of my time in a 350Z forum since early this year. Love the looks and power of the Z but I am coming to the conclusion that the Z simply has too many problems with it, specifically the tranny and clutch, as well as overall low quality. I didn't really even know about the Solstice until a couple of months ago and was lucky enough to find a red on black loaded (one of the first 1000) at a local dealership here in the Bay area and fell in love with the looks of the Solstice. First view of it I saw in person was a straight on shot of the front end as I was walking up to it and that sold me right there on the looks.

I have never liked ragtops of any kind and have never and would never consider owning one, well until I saw the Solstice, so now I am lost.

I am a big guy 6 foot 240'ish and the Solstice actually feels a lot more comfy than the Z does to me. I have always hated the Z seats but the leather seats in the Solstice are very comfy and enough leg room for me too.

One of my concerns is that I don't have a garage to park a vehicle in and would have to keep it outside in the weather. Either car will be my daily driver and I work so much that I don't think a garage would make much difference anyway, since it would be in a parking lot half of the time anyway.

So for those of you that have some miles on your Solstice, do you have any regrets about buying it? Any serious or minor mechanical problems? I have been doing some searches but could always use more input. I am mostly concerned with any tranny or engine problems.

I know the Solstice is nowhere anywhere near the performance of the Z in regards to power but that's not why I like the Solstice. I like it because it's gonna cost me a good $5,000 less modded the way I want it than the base model Z mildely modded and I'm hoping the Soltice will give me a lot less problems than the Z, since it will most likley be my only car, though I may end up keeping my truck too if I get the Solstice. I like going fast around turns and horsepower is not a huge factor in getting that done. The Solstice just looks like a blast to own, stare at (admire in my driveway) and drive.

If I get a Solstice I have no intention of buying one until next Christmas, so it would be a 2007 model Solstice. Probably put in a order in September or so and hopefully get it by mid Spring of '07:p I heard from the dealer that they are building 10,000 this year and 20,000 next year. At least that's what he told me.

On a different note, I went to the car show in Sacramento this last weekend and saw the Saturn Sky in person and like WOW. Still think I like the simplicity of the Solstice a lot more though and I think the saturn will end up costing more than the Solstice by about 2 grand with similar equiptment.

Anyway gotta go.

Later

Chad

·
Registered
141 Posts
Buying this type of car is more of an emotional decision initially. Love at first sight is really working for the Sol.
I've own several sports cars and the Sol does not disappoint in the fun & fun to drive area as well. Best cornering car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Couple of things: You can't beat the price(!) but who knows where that will go next year. Since production is pretty slow you might want to put in an order now and lock in the current price. Plus you should get MSRP from most dealers. Buying one off the lot almost guarantees you will get one marked up substantially.

The car seems to be made for the twisties. Wide and low. I got to drive a famous "Deep" model through the twisties of Big Sur a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast. (Famous because it was the first SOL to be taken apart to have its gut exposed here on the forum. Thanks Scott.)

All the components of the car are out of the parts bin from other models and have been around for awhile. I have never seen any discussion about mechanical problems yet other than a clunk when shifting with the limited slip diff option. If you are in the bay area you probably don't need the LSD anyway.

Order up a car cover from Kappashere and you are good to park in the weather.

Turbo (or is it super charging?) is coming if you need a little more juice. I'm used to a little more horsepower but just keep the revs up and I think you will be pleased.

Get the upgraded sound.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
fizzer said:
So for those of you that have some miles on your Solstice, do you have any regrets about buying it?
Never NEVER NEVER EVER will I regret my decision, EVER!

Best choice I've made in my entire life, well worth the wait!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
West coast markups!

One thing to be wary of is big Markup$ from west coast dealers. :(

The other thing is LONG waiting lists. If you want one for late next year, its probably not too early to start checking out dealers and getting yourself on a list :yesnod:

You can get the car at MSRP - but you may have to spend some time finding the right dealer, and be prepared to wait.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
He is talking Spring of 2007 and not 2006, by that time maybe the GXP version would have been announce, and he can get a car that performs just as good as his Z and less money.
My advise would be to check and see if GM/Pontiac annouces the GXP at the Detroit show in January, and if they do, then just go to your nearest Pontiac dealer and place and order for delivery in the Spring of 2007.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that is something else I am really wondering about, Where will the MSRP be at for the 2007 models?

You guys think the pricing will be similar to what happend with the PT Cruisers when they came out?

If they plan to raise the MSRP for 2007 by more than $1,000, I might need to reconsider buying a Solstice. I have no problem with the $20,000 MSRP plus about 3 grand for most of the factory option packages but I really don't have a lot of interest in paying a lot more than $21,000 (base). If they raise it too much for '07, I might be willing to deal with the Z's problems.

I'm hoping they won't raise the crap out of them for the 2007 model year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts