Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Pontiac Solstice...
First let me give you a little background as to "why a Solstice".

I currently have 2 Ponitacs.....
.... a 1991 Bonneville SSE (Turbocharged) & a 1997 Bonneville SSEi (Supercharged)..... now before you say "they never made a "turbocharged" Bonneville, well you'd be correct.... I had the turbo installed. :)

The 91 is my "Sunday" car, and the 97 is my daily driver and race car.
I do a fair amount of racing.... 1/4 mile... AutoSlalom... SoloSprint... TimeAttack etc etc..... Both cars have respectable 1/4 mile times.... [email protected] for the 97, and [email protected] for the 91.

But sadly neither are well suited for AutoSlalom. The 97 does fairly well with the SoloSprint/TimeAttack, but a skilled Miata driver will still beat it.

Now, of course we know right now the Solstice is perfect competition for the Miata on the AutoSlalom and SoloSprint/TimeAttack, but with a 1/4 mile time of 15.6~15.8 it's not really built for that.

That brings me to my first question......
Has a turbo been comfirmed (from GM/Pontiac) for the 2007 model?
I heard it's rumored to have 250ish HP... which would be more then enough to make it a decent 1/4 mile car... I would expect low 14s out of it off the showroom floor with that amount of HP.

Second question......
How hard is it to find/buy one? I've heard rumors that the waiting list is crazy, and most people give up waiting.

Third.....
What are some of the complaints (major & minor) that owners have about the car.... be honest please. It's easy to find out what GREAT about this car.... but what needs improvement and what really annoys people?

Thanks.... :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
fwiw..Rumor is the turbo 240 hp Solstice will arrive at the end of next year.

Its the 64 million dollar question so no one knows the answer to your questions.

The 177hp solstice will be competitive with the miata or anything else in autox-ing.

The solstice really is about more than track times though.

Its a driving experience that transcends total performance.

Remember its 2005/2006 and its base price is 20 thousand dollars.

Thats a tremendous amount of sports car for the money.

Figure the 240hp version to cost around 28 grand with most options but not all.

HTH

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Merlin said:
What are some of the complaints (major & minor) that owners have about the car....
Major complaint is in your question 2...the wait, oh the ever loving wait, will it ever end? :devil:

You can search for complaints, but the major (or minor depending on your side of the issue) ones have been about some water leaks (fixable and no need to put up with), someone complained about lack of power in 177HP, bent hooks on the top when not properly stored, minor paint blemishes, damages in transit (fixable by dealers), windshields not 100% rock resistant, the first 1000 that still don't have their cars, lack of information about the wait, no definate information on turbo/super charger release/order dates, no hard top, no mounting points for racing protection items (belts or cages), doesn't have a V? engine, plastic on the interior, nasty looking front license mounting, doesn't come in yellow, and I probably missed some, but you should get the idea.

All of that balances with it is such a sweet ride and I can't wait for mine to be delivered so that I can start racking up the miles. :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
GO_DRVN said:
You can search for complaints, but the major (or minor depending on your side of the issue) ones have been about some water leaks (fixable and no need to put up with), someone complained about lack of power in 177HP, bent hooks on the top when not properly stored, minor paint blemishes, damages in transit (fixable by dealers), windshields not 100% rock resistant, the first 1000 that still don't have their cars, lack of information about the wait, no definate information on turbo/super charger release/order dates, no hard top, no mounting points for racing protection items (belts or cages), doesn't have a V? engine, plastic on the interior, nasty looking front license mounting, doesn't come in yellow...
:glol: nice summary

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too am thinking about getting one of these little hotties. My questions/comparisons/suggestions:

Limited Slip Differential vs. none
Anti-Lock Brakes vs. none
What are the production numbers?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
mikeytex said:
I too am thinking about getting one of these little hotties. My questions/comparisons/suggestions:

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Do a search on production numbers and ther is a thread that has a graph. Last week was 374, the week before was around 500.

Don't have a comparison on the LSD or ABS, but I ordered mine with both.

·
Registered
819 Posts
mikeytex said:

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Good to have you along, Mike. Enjoy the wait and the ride with the rest of us :yesnod:

Limited slip - If the car will be driven under specific conditions, wet roads, other conditions that challenge the rear ends ability to give you traction, then YES.
ABS - Yes for most people, but some deem that as not necessary. I prefer it for my own safety.
Production - Original estimates were for 20,000 for 2006 model year. Rumor says that has been readjusted downward, but not totally confirmed.

As a newbie on this forum, many topics have been discussed in other threads. Please use the Search feature to see if you can find a thread that has already addressed your questions, because many of them have been discussed a number of times. ;)

Again, come back, search, discuss and ENJOY. We always welcome new Solstive waiting list members. :grouphug:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks again for the info. I usually do the search, but sometimes I'm lazy and figure that the question can be answered in minutes, and it gives y'all a chance to up your post count............... ;)

I don't mind the wait. I'm in the pre-drooling stage going quickly into the "gotta have it" mode. Now, I gotta figure out to convince the wife I NEED it................I actually mentioned it last night, price, 2-seater, etc. and she replied "That's not bad"............................. :willy:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd go ahead and order it now, then work on breaking her in. You'll have plenty of time to convince her before it comes in. =o)

·
Registered
119 Posts
ralph_on_me said:
I'd go ahead and order it now, then work on breaking her in. You'll have plenty of time to convince her before it comes in. =o)
Order it. Pick it up. Go out in the driveway. Say "Where the f*ck did that come from?????. What happened to the Nissan?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ralph_on_me said:
I'm going to wait until the day the turbo is officially announced....
I didn't know they had an LSD option... that's awesome. I've got an LSD on my 97, I love it. I think the LSD will be needed on the turbo version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts