Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The world lost a wonderful person yesterday. He was given a second chance at life and did his best to make the most of it every day. He knew his time on Earth was limited and dedicated himself to trying to build something to leave behind. It was very common for people to call him looking for accessories for their cars and find themselves with a new friend an hour later. While we never met in person, I'm thankful for the impact he had on my life, and that was made possible by an organ donor nine and a half years ago. Without that person, their family, and of course Wilbur the pig (fka Sweetie Pie), he would never have had the chance to touch many lives.

The biggest hurdle facing organ transplantation today is education. A lot of people think that anyone can donate organs and don't really think about it, but that is not the case. Organs can only be harvested from brain dead donors. It's uncomfortable to plan for this because doing so forces you to consider your own mortality, but taking time to consider it now can save lives later. Remember that merely deciding you'd like to donate your organs should you end up able to do so is not enough. Your loved ones need to know so that they can consent to it. Talk to them. Include it in your living will. Knowing your wishes will take that uncomfortable decision out of their hands, may prevent a dispute among your grieving family, and will ensure that your last opportunity to do something good for your fellow man is not wasted.

For more information about organ donation, please visit the Southwest Transplant Alliance at www.organ.org.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Beautifully spoken.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I am an organ donor and my family knows, but after what I have done to my body I am not sure anyone would want them. I still believe EVERYONE should at least address this issue! Make a choice and make sure your family knows!

·
Got Turbo?
1,384 Posts
My family also knows I am willing to donate my organs. In Florida they even put it on your driver's license so it's "known" when they check for your ID in that kind of a situation.

It's nice to know there are many folks out there who have been saved by a stranger's decision to donate.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I am registered as an organ donor (on my Ohio Driver's license)

I am also a bone marrow donor

and I have been giving blood over 40 years now.

Not to preach...but donating blood is something you can do when ALIVE and can be done many times a year.
At all my clinics i notice that the majority of donors are over 40...and a lot are over 50 and 60.

What I'm not noticing in my area is the young 'uns.

Now maybe they go to high school or university clinics...but when I talk to the technicians
they tell me..."NO...the kids just don't seem to want to do it"

So as well as registering to be an organ donor after you die..

How about being a blood donor while you are still alive.

You can save many lives while you are still alive.

And the needle doesn't hurt as much as a saturday morning hangover.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
VA shows whether you are an organ donor or not on the drivers license as well...I am

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Organ and blood donor, got my Red Cross card in my wallet. It sucks every time I get a new tatoo I have to wait a year to donate, but I understand why.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I too am a designated organ donor and a regular blood donor. (I have been remise is getting on the bone marrow registry, but I think I will start looking into how to do that now.)

I encourage everyone on the forum to find out what you need to do to help save lives:
Sign up as an organ donor, go to that local blood drive, and consider joining the bone marrow registry.

Results of a quick google search: you can join the bone marrow registry simply by undergoing a simple, painless cheek cell swab (like they do on CSI) for tissue typing. You can do this in person at a local donor center, or very easily online and through the mail for a small tax deductible fee. Here is a website for more information, http://www.marrow.org/index.html

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
thanks Diane...let's hear from the kids on this forum (30 & under)

what's keeping you from being a DONOR?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm a designated organ donor and I'm also in the bone marrow registry.

One thing the rest of you organ donors should not overlook is that you need to tell your next of kin that you're serious. Having "Organ Donor" on your license doesn't help if your next of kin say "no."

·
Registered
77 Posts
There Are No Substitutes!!!

I've been registered as an organ donor since I got my first driver's license @ 17yrs ago. I went on the marrow registry @ 13yrs ago. Whenever I'm eligible, I donate platelets (every 2 weeks), &/or whole blood(every 8 weeks). I always tell them to take what they want and just leave me with enough fluids so I can get home. :lol:

2 weeks ago I got a call as a matched donor for luekocytes (white blood cells). I had to take meds for that one, and the donation comes out kinda lookin like a tequila sunrise. :party:

Right now I'm working on a cross-promotional fund raiser between my business & the Red Cross.

More important than raising money is raising awareness. There is no substitute for the things that come out of the human body like blood and organs. So give it up; you'll just make more.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Very well spoken

My brother just received a kidney and is doing well. I just wish I had been able to do it for him. Instead he found a wonderful donor through an unlikely path. My sistr in law called her insurance company with a small issue, in the flow of conversation a friendship insued because my brother needed a kidney and the person at the insurance company was going to be a donor for another person. Fate or miracles came into play and long story short, the insurance company employee donated to my brother because a cadaver kidney became available for the other person. I am grateful to the donor for the life of my brother.

Pennsylvania has Donor status on the drivers licence and I have been one since the program began.

God bless all of you who take the action.

Mike

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been a donor since I got my license at 16 and it's been in my living will since I joined the Navy at 19. Every year at Navy bases they hold a big blood drive, so I donate at least once a year. Even if it is to get a day off! :blush:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been a donor since I got my license at 16 and it's been in my living will since I joined the Navy at 19. Every year at Navy bases they hold a big blood drive, so I donate at least once a year. Even if it is to get a day off! :blush:
I grew up in a military family. From my observations, I think the day off is why most of the soldiers & sailors donate blood. :cool: Whatever it takes to get the job done.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice to see all of you plan to be donors. You are giving souls. Keep in mind, though, your next of kin/POA has to be on board with it. As a former ER nurse, I can tell you no matter what your drivers license or card in your wallet says, they still have the FINAL say. Make sure they understand how important this issue is to you, and how you expect them to honor your last wishes.
And no need to wait until you renew your license, you can register nationally @ 1-800-B-A-Donor. That us the 1st method most of the ERs will use to find out if you're registered organ donor, and a "yes" from them goes a long way towards helping your family realize you were serious about this.
"Don't take your organs to heaven...Heaven knows we need them here!"

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
I agree with nurse diesel. As a paramedic I see this all the time. the drivers lic. is not checked and if it is, it is to late to do anything. Because a lot of time the info is on the back of the drivers lic. and nobody looks.

SO LET YOUR FAMILY KNOW OF YOUR WISHES

Here is an idea maybe someone can come up with a colored arm band and or medic alert bracelet that has organ donor on it.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
It's in my advanced directive for healthcare that everyone should have. Therefore, my daughter makes that decision. :grouphug:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Saved my brothers life

In 1997 an organ donor saved my little brothers life. We are eternally greatful that we got to have Robert around for another 10 years.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts