Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1972 I almost bought a TR-6, didn't. Then in 1982 I almost got myself a Fiat X-1/9, didn't. In '86 it was Fiero GT, you guest it no GT. The point is that I have always wanted a two seat roadster but, have never had one. Next May when my lease on my Malibu is up it's roadster time. I have my Jeep Cherokee for the occasional winter snow emergency, so the roadster will be the summer and nice day ride. I am going to be hanging around and asking a question from time to time so that when May rolls around I know what the heck I am doing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good for you! Now just get through the winter and in March, start looking for a GXP!

Bob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ken: I bought a bug eye 1960 Austin Healy Sprite; was the love of my life. Marvelous handling, no power. In 1965 I had the #3 Sunbeam Tiger in all of the West Coast. My little Blue car was on the cover of motor trend. Lots of v-8 power but short on the handling.

2009 I did the thing. Bought the GXP. Now I have both the power and the handling. Take the plunge. You won't regret it.

CA Sam

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Ken - a word of warning. You're talking to a bunch of addicts.

We'll get you hooked.

Resistance is futile.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My Solstice (the second of 2) is the Triumph Spitfire I never got when I was 16 in 1974.

Took me 32 years (my first Sol was an '06) but it was worth the wait!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
In 1972 I almost bought a TR-6, didn't. Then in 1982 I almost got myself a Fiat X-1/9, didn't. In '86 it was Fiero GT, you guest it no GT. The point is that I have always wanted a two seat roadster but, have never had one. Next May when my lease on my Malibu is up it's roadster time. I have my Jeep Cherokee for the occasional winter snow emergency, so the roadster will be the summer and nice day ride. I am going to be hanging around and asking a question from time to time so that when May rolls around I know what the heck I am doing.
Welcome aboard ( almost ) !

Seriously - I can relate, as I put off my 2 seater for about the same number of years. Fiats, Fieros, BMW Z4's all called to me. Ultimately the Solstice finally caught me. These cars are captivating, and once you own one, you'll wonder why you never did before. Best part is the entry price is extremely low compared to most of the alternatives. Grab one or you'll regret it!:)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Been there... in 75 i bought a Triumph Spitfire and loved it. Then #1 child arrived and had to give it up for some more sensible (Honda Civic). 33 years later and no kids at home and I bought the Sky. 33 years was way too long!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
In '72, I bought a Fiat 850 Spyder, a fun, if under-powered little roadster. In '85 I bought a Fiero, when the Fiat was totaled. Another fun little roadster, but not a convertible. In '06, replaced the Fiero with the Solstice; twice the power, AND a convertible. I've been grinning for 40 years!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I bought my 1980 Triumph TR8 in 1991 and sold her this July to buy a Solstice. Found a low-mileage very nice 2007 (Grey) with all the goodies - A/c, leather, power package, sound-proof roof, ABS, LSD etc. - and, most important, bought it from the original new car owner with a full set of maintenance records. Did seriously consider a GXP, but, hey, I'm 76 and the NA has all the power I need (I do miss the purr of the V8 of the TR8!). So, if you are seriously thinking of buying, look around, there are lots available; about 50 Solstices for sale in my area (south-central Ontario, Canada) when I was looking, not counting any Sky's. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I was born my father had a 64 TR4 that he had bought new, sold it as we were in the military and did not want to haul it around the country, mom said he regreted it the moment it drove out of the driveway. My junior year in High School he retired from the Navy and had to give up his jets so he bought a 59 TR3 just like his first Triumph and proceeded to restore it. Now me being an American I wanted a Vette, I learned from my father got it before I got married and still have it, but it is not practical as a daily driver. So those duties fall to my Solstice! Went out on a canyon run with my father and his European buddies and the Sol was on their back bumpers the whole time even the new stuff. Yes the NA's have less power than the GXP's but on the twisties I believe they are all the same. In fact I think the Sol is faster on the twisties than my 98 T/A.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
My first car was a 64/65 AH Sprite/MG Midget mix made from the front half of a Sprite and the rear half of an MG Midget. The second was a 68 Pontiac Firebird Convertible. Then came a long series of 4-door sedans, station wagons and trucks. Over all those years of boring cars, a wonderful wife and 3 great children, I looked at, and tried on just about every 2 seat roadster that came down the pike, Fiat X1/9, Toy MR2, Fiat 850, if it was sporty and small it was a possibility. I just couldn't pull the trigger on any of them, for a variety of reasons until I found out I got a 1st 1000 Solstice. Then I had to wait 6 months until GM got around to building it. I've had a permagrin on my face since October 3, 2005 when my Sol was delivered.

:dthumbs: :yay: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Had my Bugeye for 37 years, gave it to my brother when I saw the announcement of the Solstice at the Detroit Auto Show. Put my 'order' in with the Dealer 2 weeks after that. Missed the first 1K with Envious #1113, and traded it for our GXP Coupe 'Double Naught Sixty Nine'

Lots of miles and smiles!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I was so jealous of a buddy's yellow TR-6 back in 1976. Drove my dads 914 all over the country and learned it's way more fun getting everything out of a small engine than it is "managing" a big engine. Wanted a Miata in 1990. Was going to restore a TR-6 then saw the Solstice Prototype and decided to wait till it came out. 80000 miles later still loving it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I was so jealous of a buddy's yellow TR-6 back in 1976. Drove my dads 914 all over the country and learned it's way more fun getting everything out of a small engine than it is "managing" a big engine. Wanted a Miata in 1990. Was going to restore a TR-6 then saw the Solstice Prototype and decided to wait till it came out. 80000 miles later still loving it.

I've always felt that you had to "manage" the small engine - and its manual transmission... but I understand what you mean. It's a whole lot more fun, like you said, to work with a smaller output, and get the most out of it.

It's like I tell my brother, who drives a Corvette Z06: any fool can point and squirt.

:)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
I've always felt that you had to "manage" the small engine - and its manual transmission... but I understand what you mean. It's a whole lot more fun, like you said, to work with a smaller output, and get the most out of it.

It's like I tell my brother, who drives a Corvette Z06: any fool can point and squirt.

There is an old saying, probably created by someone driving an old VW Beetle or an AH Sprite, Fiat 850, etc:

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

I have been on both sides of that saying, and I can attest to its truth.

:dthumbs:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got my first two seater about 20 years ago when my aunt gave me her non-running 79 MGB (handled well, no power, and a guaranteed loser in a wreck with anything bigger than a motorcycle), my next 2 seater was a 94 S-10 SS pickup(still have that one), then an 86 Fiero (sold it off for an 88 Fiero GT-still have that one too), then I came into a 95 Mustang GT convertible (time to sell the MG). Then I sold off the Mustang 3 years ago so I was in need of another convertible. I bought a Sky RL last week-end and was toying with selling the Fiero, but after my Fiero Club's Run for the Hills yesterday, I decided I need to keep the Fiero. Just the same, dipping into the turbo on the Sky while the top is down always brings a smile to my face. I love my "new" Sky!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Do I detect a commom heritage here? Seems like an awful lot of present-day Solstice ownwers started out with, or simply desired, those Brirish sports cars of long ago.

Attended our local annual British Car Day today (organized by the Toronto Triumph Club (my old car club of long standing). Maybe a thousand cars exhibited (that's the number we had last year). Triumphs, MG's, Austin Healeys predominating, but also Sunbeams, TVR's, and others. A gorgeous sunny day, and all those top-down cars. Yes, I do believe the Solstice springs from that heritage, at least in spirit, and is carrying on that tradition.

Happy top-down motoring everyone!

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Path to my Solstice

I started off buying a 1958 Mercedes 190 SL in 1970. Then I added a 1971 Lotus Europa in 1972. I sold those and bought a 76 Vette in 1980. Then sold that in 82 for a 1978 MG Midget. Next was my first new sports car, a 1984 Pontiac Fiero. It was a fun car but the four-cylinder Iron Dick (sorry, Iron Duke) blew up twice on the 12,000 miles, so I dumped it. The next fun car was a C5 Vette, new in 2000. That was a real trip! Finally, I bought my 2007 GXP and have been loving it ever since. Each one of my previous cars had some really great attributes, but the Solstice seems to have the best combination of all. Since this will probably be my last sports car, I have done quite a bit of work to it to make it just the car I want. This is a car that will only be sold by my widow.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

Yeah, manage was the wrong word. I guess what I meant to say was, "try to keep from killing yourself with over-application of power at the wrong time" :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts