Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've written earlier how I was put in back of the line for serving overseas when the Apprentice fiasco was broadcast. I had been waiting for over a year for Pontiac to announce the product launch...only to be aced out by 10,000 wannabes. I ordered the car from a home state dealer over the phone after I read all about it via the internet a few days later half a world away.

I originally had a big beef with the dealership I bought from. I specifically asked whether they had a first allocation car order available, and the salesman assured me they did. After a couple of letters, I learned what they really meant was that they decided internally that they were taking 10 initial orders and I was #9. That piece of news seemingly pushed me from an October delivery to a June delivery. I wrote to Mr. Lutz, but never heard back.

Feeling pretty bitter, and praying my 16 year old truck would last to delivery, events changed drastically this week. The dealership called me five days ago and offered me a car passed on by a buyer that couldn't come up with financing. The switch from Sly to Deep was easy enough--but I can't say I was crazy paying extra for the polished wheels or XM...but that was pretty much offset by the fact that I got a $500 coupon for attending the "GM Wheels in Motion" event a couple of weeks ago (I was surprised a Solstice purchase qualified--if you're still waiting to buy a GM vehicle, don't pass up a "Wheels in Motion" opportunity--the coupon is good for a couple of months).

Soooo....I spent Friday flying to my dealership--which is 600 miles from where I am now stationed--and picked it up. The dealership admitted they considered selling it to the highest bidder...but, in the end, they worked their backlog list and I was the first ready, willing and able to snap it up for MSRP. First compliment from a stranger: "hey--nice toy!"

Thanks, Solsticeman, Cricket, MCEB, and all the others that kept me motivated. See you on the road.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Hey, Solace, I guess this is your arrival announcement. Congratulations! :party: Did you get the smoker's package you wanted?

So now that you can't call her Ms. Zing anymore, have you given her a name? I know you're stationed in California and you bought her in Oregon. What is your home state?

By the way, please visit this thread. If you decide to post your story, I and a lot of people on the Forum would love to read it!

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7277

·
5,600 Posts
Solace said:
Thanks, Solsticeman, Cricket, MCEB, and all the others that kept me motivated. See you on the road.
I am glad you kept your patience. I think you are too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gizmo2004 said:
Hey, Solace, I guess this is your arrival announcement. Congratulations! :party: Did you get the smoker's package you wanted?

So now that you can't call her Ms. Zing anymore, have you given her a name? I know you're stationed in California and you bought her in Oregon. What is your home state?

By the way, please visit this thread. If you decide to post your story, I and a lot of people on the Forum would love to read it!

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7277

No smokers pkg. That was another miscue from the salesman over the very long distance call. I said I wanted to be sure to get a 12V DC outlet, and he said to order it (I don't think the sales force had too much Solstice training at the time of order).

A lot of folks don't know this, but military personnel can keep their state "domicile" throughout their service period. That helps us avoid having to pay taxes (or not) in more than one state while Uncle Sam bounces us around. The only problem is that some in law enforcement--and many neighbors--assume you're trying to get away with something. So my vote, my license and my registration stay in Oregon.

I'm looking forward to a west coast Solstice gathering on the Solstice now--winter or summer.

BTW, why do Miata drivers seem to stare the most?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,600 Posts
Solace said:
BTW, why do Miata drivers seem to stare the most?
Because they're the ones most threatened by a Solstice? I don't know.

I do know that the sight of a Solstice brings out a bit of aggressive driving characteristics in most of the Miatas I encounter on the road.

Ignore them, maybe they'll go away!

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.