Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we sat at the dealer on April 15th and tried to get through to GM to place an EOP I told him if this happens I will let you put the car in your showroom for a week to let perspective buyers see the car. Well I got #78 and delivery time is near. Now I want the car so bad I'm having mixed feelings about this. What do you think? Should I allow him to have the car but rope it off or put a 'Do Not Touch' sign on it. I hate to renig on my offer but I thought I would have gotten the car 6-8 weeks ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
I guess it all depends on what exactly you said during this agreement. I would consider it a binding verbal agreement - and remember, you wouldn't want your dealer to go back on HIS word would you?

I know you're excited, but I would feel obligated to uphold my end of the bargain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Take the car and drive away as fast as you can. You don't want a bunch of fingerprints and people sitting in your car playing with dials, and the shifter and picking their nose in your car.

And don't forget the farting and stuff... :devil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
Honor your word.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Take the week off of work, and go sit in the car at the dealer. Better yet, take out perspective buyers for a test drive in the passenger seat. You'll get the best of both worlds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
If my dealer keeps his word, I will keep mine. After I have had the Solstice for a couple of weeks he can put it in his showroom for a few days with a do not touch sign. Of course he will have to agree to be responsible for any scratches, dents and spills!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
A persons integrity is measured by his actions after he gives his word.Keep your word. :yesnod: :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
jandouglass said:
When we sat at the dealer on April 15th and tried to get through to GM to place an EOP I told him if this happens I will let you put the car in your showroom for a week to let perspective buyers see the car. Well I got #78 and delivery time is near. Now I want the car so bad I'm having mixed feelings about this. What do you think? Should I allow him to have the car but rope it off or put a 'Do Not Touch' sign on it. I hate to renig on my offer but I thought I would have gotten the car 6-8 weeks ago.
Get something out of it. For letting my dealer have it roped off in a show room for a week we've talked about at least a 1 year maintenace plan for free and I'm going to try to get the mud guards for free too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,053 Posts
Rope the car off. Place a sign on the ropes that explain that this is a sold car and that the owner wishes for you to not touch or sit in the car.

Also, find out the time of day when they get almost no showroom traffic and take it for little drives. Heck, driving it around town is going to get more attention than in the showroom.

Congrats on the car! :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
I can imagine how you are going to feel to own the car and not be able to drive it. Maybe we can start a support system together as I will soon be in the same boat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
jandouglass said:
When we sat at the dealer on April 15th and tried to get through to GM to place an EOP I told him if this happens I will let you put the car in your showroom for a week to let perspective buyers see the car. Well I got #78 and delivery time is near. Now I want the car so bad I'm having mixed feelings about this. What do you think? Should I allow him to have the car but rope it off or put a 'Do Not Touch' sign on it. I hate to renig on my offer but I thought I would have gotten the car 6-8 weeks ago.
Hey, just say "screw you I want my car", and he's likely to respond, "OK, that wll be $5,000 over sticker please."

I'm sure he's just as disappointed in selling the car for less than its market value than you are for waiting an extra week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Well I can't imagine what the dealer could offer to make me agree to such a deal, but... I say play along like no deal was made unless he calls you on it then live up to it I guess. BTW, what did you get out of this 'agreement'?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
TerpFan said:
I can imagine how you are going to feel to own the car and not be able to drive it. Maybe we can start a support system together as I will soon be in the same boat.
How much driving do you think you'll get in before it goes to the mad scientist? Just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
brentil said:
Get something out of it. For letting my dealer have it roped off in a show room for a week we've talked about at least a 1 year maintenace plan for free and I'm going to try to get the mud guards for free too.
That would be trying to renegotiate an agreement. It's possible that the dealer won't even remember, but I'm with those that have said to honor your word. When all is said and done, what's more important than personal integrity. If there was more of it, we wouldn't be discussing issues like gouging.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Tell them what you're thoughts are and see what they say-maybe they'll grant you a pardon. :devil: I wouldn't want to wait either.

Still waiting for my VIN #- hope that I hear from GM promo HQ when my car is on its way... that would be veerrrrrry nice of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
There is no substitute for ethics. Period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Keeping Your Word

bcbriggs said:
There is no substitute for ethics. Period.
Sorry, but if you are looking for us to say keep the car, I feel you will be disappointed. Your word should be your bond. I realize you are anxious, but you are still getting your car in the summer as stated. One more week will not be difficult. I would insist the car be roped off ,and the dealer be held responsible for any damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
anxious

I guess I have to agree with most of you. I am anxious but I can't let that take the place of my ethics. I'll let the dealer display the car, with restrictions, for 4-7 days. Long enough for those that have expressed interest in the car to 'view' it. Thanks for all of your help!
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top