1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Possibility of NO Air Conditioning in first 1000

WHA~!

and I quote my dealer:

"We sent in the order form for our kit. I was talking to our District Manager and she was saying that A.C. may not be available on the first batch of cars.... We have not confirmed that yet and can not until closer to the April 15th date..."

Well, hopefully this situation is rectified. I mean, sure there are people who don't peticularly care about A.C. in a convertible... but I want AC when it's 120 degrees outside and people on the sidewalks are melting... or when my car starts fogging up, or it's hot outside and I need the 3.8 feet of trunk space.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Who you gonna believe? The dealer who only knows what we tell him? The DM who is going to be on the same page? Not good if true. Not good at all. I've got two words for whoever would allow especially the first 1000 with all the hype to reach the dealer lot without a/c , and I quote:

"You're fired."

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
"You're fired."
Yeah, I'm right there with you achieftain. Now maybe if the first 1000 had somehting else really special to help me forget there's no AC like a crap ton more power. But we're all pretty sure that isn't happening either. The way GM is going with this car the Polished Wheels, AC, and Roof are all going to be "Options Available Sept 2005."

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was thinking pretty much the same thing... "Why would GM EVER allow an option like AC to be unavailable for the first 1000?"

If so, they just lost me until they can get all the parts together. I'm waiting for AC... be it the first 1000, or in September.

...and hey, if they won't be available till September, I will add the chrome rims to my order.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'd have a different 2 words for GM...

Buying MX-5.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I could almost convince myself to live without it because it would mean less weight and parasitic HP loss. But I plan to actually drive the car on the streets whenever the opportunity presents itsself, too. Can't live without A/C in a road trip car, and definitely not in a daily driver.

I'd MUCH rather be able to make the decision myself instead of being forced to live without A/C.

I'd trade A/C for an S/C, but that's the only way I'd still go for one of the first 1,000 if this rumor turned out to be true.

And in my situation, it may force my hand away from the Solstice entirely. If I get one at all, I'll want one of the first 1,000 since I need to pick up the car before I move in July.

Your sources better be full of it!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Fortimir said:
I was thinking pretty much the same thing... "Why would GM EVER allow an option like AC to be unavailable for the first 1000?"...
I suspect it's the same reason that they can't / won't show the car with the top up. My worse fear is that the damned car is just not ready to be sold, yet they are going to do it anyway. Maybe the AC can be installed by the dealer later? I would not want that if it were my new Solstice.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm really hoping GM has all the issues with this car worked out by now. We keep hearing all these rumors, and stuff like this about things not being done, not being available, etc. It's kinda un-nerving.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
I'm really hoping GM has all the issues with this car worked out by now. We keep hearing all these rumors, and stuff like this about things not being done, not being available, etc. It's kinda un-nerving.
I think eveything has to be go or they wouldn't be forging ahead with the early order thing. They could easily delay even though the Apprentice show would go on as planned (would just can the commercial about the early order side).

·
Registered
753 Posts
i think that 'no a/c' is incorrect info. there are options not yet available and they are stated as such....'18" chrome plated wheels (available september 2005)' and '5 speed automatic (available early 2006)' . if a/c was not available, i think it would be specified. also the first 1000is an arbitrary number- a nice round number to be sure, but arbitrary nonetheless. if a/c was unavailable for the first 1000 it would likely be unavailable for the 1001 car of the assembly line also. my guess is someone is misinterpeting the fact that a/c is not standard but optional...i.e. "it doesn't come with a/c" unless you order it as an option.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
GUYS AND GALS!!!! LISTEN UP!!!!

Let's get real - GM knows how important AC is on a car. They won't make it unavailable. EVERY car we've seen without exception that has clear photos of the inside of the car has had the AC button in the HVAC.

This is the first 1000 cars to go on the road. Do you REALLY think GM is just going to sell junk to these first 1000? In today's day and age, with all kinds of information (some of it even correct) available with a few keystrokes?
Imagine what epinions and every other car blog and forum would say...

Now, will the first 1000 be the $19,995 version? I seriously doubt it. Those first cars, I'd imagine, should have some basic creature comforts, and maybe you get a slight pre-order bargain... but forcing the $19,995 non AC crank window no rear defogger on those first 1000?

C'mon! Get it together, folks.

This info came from a dealer (no offense GTOJ!). We all know how reliable THEY have been.

LISTEN CAREFULLY: YOU MUST TAKE THIS INFORMATION WITH A HEAVY SHAKERFULL OF SALT!!!!

GM is not dumb - forcing a stripper car on customers who don't want a stripper car would be suicide. GM/Pontiac knows that these first 1000 customers are probably the bravest and most critical customers around.

Maybe the dealer who told you that, Fortimir, doesn't REALLY want to sell you one of the first 1000? Ever consider that? It sounds counterproductive, but remember, most dealers couldn't care if they sell corvettes, chevettes, or yugos - as long as they are making maximum money!!!

These first 1000 are being forced at MSRP. :). Imagine the RIGHT of a dealership to GOUGE being TAKEN AWAY!!! Especially when you look at a Solstice and know that the first five you get you might get upwards of $5,000 "additional dealer profit".

Especially if one of these 1000 comes out of your allotment - that's one less hot car you can gouge another customer on!!! <boo hoo, so-sad!>

So instead of helping you get your solstice, they wave you off with a stupid statement like "AC might not be available", or "These cars will have defects", or "these cars won't have a top", or "you can only get them in black (one of the colors that many customers won't buy)", or "you'll have to pay extra to get tires on these cars." Read into this - they may actually be saying "I can't make as much money on you because I can only charge you MSRP, so go buy it somewhere else."

Why else would a dealership try to throw water on a sale? :brentil: :mad:

Just think rationally... would this really make sense? Look at the suspension, the 18" tires, the car's looks compared to the concept, lateral 0.9 g, 177 Hp, more room than an MX-5... GM has done well so far, and yes the top mystery may be frustrating, but would they REALLY make such a blunder?

I, IMHO, seriously doubt it. I may have to change my vote, maybe I will try for one of the 1000... I think I just talked myself into one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
brentil
you got to lose the kitty pix, makes you look like a pussy
lol

·
Registered
338 Posts
In response to Dealers who don't deal...

We are lucky to sell 20 new cars a month, let alone 5 in one day. I'll take anybody's business, because for us, a sold unit is more important than gross. It lets us can carry more inventory based upon (60 day) sales. We signed up for the program, and haven't had one call, let alone an email, and I'm the BuyPower(fancy GM-speak for-Internet) Mgr. I'm going to a Ride & Drive in Detroit, have to take internet courses, and watch webcasts for the next month, just to have the privlage to sell the things in the first 1000 lot. BUT, I've gotten more response for the G6 GXP/coupe/convt. than anything else, and it's even further out than the Solstice. Heck, I might even deliver it for you :yesnod: BUT, I guarantee you will get better service, and you'll find us more flexible and honest than you will find anywhere else. If you know anybody who wants to be taken care of, is tired of getting jerked around, and afraid of beng beaten by dealers unwilling to budge, let me know. BTW, $500 refundable is more than fine. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
conejo148 said:
I'm going to a Ride & Drive in Detroit, have to take internet courses, and watch webcasts for the next month, just to have the privlage to sell the things in the first 1000 lot.
When and where is the ride and drive taking place in Detroit? I doubt it's on public roads... but worth a shot to see a bunch of production Solstice's.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
solsticeman said:
GUYS AND GALS!!!! LISTEN UP!!!! .

Well said as always. You hit it right on target. Not only is there alot of misinformation out there, its really said that much of it is being generated by the misinformed or uninformed. My dealer knew I had some interested in the Solstice months ago and as soon as the announcement on the Early Order Program came out he was over with copy in hand, he enrolled immediately, and has informed be of every change since.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer is a friend of the family... and this information came from the district manager, not my rep. My rep definitely wants to sell me a car:

"How important is that option [AC]? We have not confirmed that yet and can not until closer to the April 15th date, but I want you to be prepared for that.
Hopefully it will be available and no big deal but I do not know yet."

·
Registered
338 Posts
rlhammon said:
When and where is the ride and drive taking place in Detroit? I doubt it's on public roads... but worth a shot to see a bunch of production Solstice's.
GM has a test course outside of the city, towards Lake Orion. Most locals know where it's at. The date hasn't been officially posted, but there have been initial indications that there will be one sometime May/Jun. I plan on trying to take lots of pics, and a digital voice recorder to make notes. I'll post all I can get away with.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Well, if GM actually is thinking of not making AC available on the first 1000, I might have to resign as "supermoderator". That's how sure I am that they would not make such a tremendous blunder....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Order

I'll cancel my order if there's no AC...and may end up buying something else (ie., S2000 or 350Z).

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
A/C not available? I cannot imagine they would do that on a modern day vehicle! Not unless they plan on making all of the first 1000 base model cars under $20K only, and not allowing any added options on them for some silly marketing reason to promote the base price. Even that would be far fetched.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.