Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,685 Posts
Recommendation. Change the pressure to 26PSI when they are hot. You will notice a world of difference in how the car tracks, corners an rides. The tire wear is also as it should be at this pressure. I believe it to be the optimum pressure for use with this tire on the Solstice.

• Wow
Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,375 Posts
Hard to tell from the posted photo but if he is on stock rims, as are mine they do not protude past the fenders as I have that same size which i believe is the stock size for the vehicle (i don't know what the "XL" designation is at the end of the part number). Here are the indy 500s on my car with stock rims.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
741 Posts
"XL" is eXtra load. The alternative is SL, or Standard Load.

It's really meaningless, as I don't believe they ever give you the choice between the two anymore for any given tire size. You get one or the other.

In a previous life when they were the "Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500" you could sometimes choose between XL or SL.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ahh, so the XL version supports when you have 4 people in the solstice.
;P
I mean our trunk lids do open up like rumble seats... just needs some padding on the lid, lol.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
5,685 Posts
I mean our trunk lids do open up like rumble seats... just needs some padding on the lid, lol.

Now that's a good idea!... Wonder if those are allowed anymore..

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
So I'm at NASSAM right now and it's obvious that I need new rubbers...

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and I find that the tire tread of the Indy 500 Firehawks look way cooler than the Michelin's - this is totally a subjective opinion.

The Michelin's have a "treadwear" of 500 whereas the Indy 500's have a treadwear of 340.

Would anyone be able to speak on the real world wear of these two? Should I expect the Indy 500's to wear out 1/3 faster by these numbers (simple cross multiplication and division of 340 vs 500)?

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,375 Posts
I would expect between 15-20k miles on the Indy’s depending on your driving style. Some people claim more, some less.
When they were cheaper last year that fact didn’t bother me as much..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts