Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice Base
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently acquired Pontiac Solstice succumbed to the infamous cup holder issue. At first, I assumed mine was actually missing, but upon further investigation, I found it had actually been pushed entirely in the console. After much struggle, i finally removed it. Good news, the cup holder is completely intact. The only issue with it is there is a lot of resistance while opening and closing, so much so the spring mechanism is unable to open it on its own without assistance. It looks like the round plastic rim piece is slightly cracked, and may be providing resistance when its sliding into the metal piece (I've attached an image). It also looks like there is a metal piece under all the plastic, so would it be a bad idea to just sand the broken plastic flat? I'm not sure if this is important, but it looks as though the holes in the plastic do not align to the holes in the metal. Would that make a difference at all?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
My recently acquired Pontiac Solstice succumbed to the infamous cup holder issue. At first, I assumed mine was actually missing, but upon further investigation, I found it had actually been pushed entirely in the console. After much struggle, i finally removed it. Good news, the cup holder is completely intact. The only issue with it is there is a lot of resistance while opening and closing, so much so the spring mechanism is unable to open it on its own without assistance. It looks like the round plastic rim piece is slightly cracked, and may be providing resistance when its sliding into the metal piece (I've attached an image). It also looks like there is a metal piece under all the plastic, so would it be a bad idea to just sand the broken plastic flat? I'm not sure if this is important, but it looks as though the holes in the plastic do not align to the holes in the metal. Would that make a difference at all?

Thanks!

View attachment 107121
I sanded those areas in mine and it helped some. Mine also would not come out without some assistance. There is a screw pin that the cup holder rotates around as it is coming out. I loosened that screw just a little and it greatly improved the rotation. Finally got tired of keeping it working and bought a santana cup holder. No more problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sanded those areas in mine and it helped some. Mine also would not come out without some assistance. There is a screw pin that the cup holder rotates around as it is coming out. I loosened that screw just a little and it greatly improved the rotation. Finally got tired of keeping it working and bought a santana cup holder. No more problems.
Awesome. I see the pin, and it may help a little, however when opening and closing it, I can distinctly feel the resistance coming from the moving plastic. Lucky for me, I haven't had time to get tired with it, so for now I'll see about fixing it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Awesome. I see the pin, and it may help a little, however when opening and closing it, I can distinctly feel the resistance coming from the moving plastic. Lucky for me, I haven't had time to get tired with it, so for now I'll see about fixing it. Thanks!
One thing I forgot to mention. I tried lubricating the track that the movable part follows and in my case found that it worked best with no lube, perfectly dry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I forgot to mention. I tried lubricating the track that the movable part follows and in my case found that it worked best with no lube, perfectly dry.
I tried WD-40, didnt seem to make a difference. I'be done my best to dry it off since, to make it easier to work on

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spray it with brake cleaner. dries it right up and won't hurt the plastic.
That's good to know. For now, its working quite well. It opens without any issue, but seems to get caught when closing, around the first curve in the rail the inside piece rides. I assume that should be fine when it dries out?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts