Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On the side of the fender, I want to open these vents up. On the SKY, is it possible to make the fake air vents functional in the hood and fenders?
Opening vents on the fender may have unintended effects with airflow under-hood and around the wheel areas. It is possible that you may increase the temperature of those areas, which contain thermally sensitive components, like the battery or engine control module. The hood vents on the SKY have inner hood structure and a hood blanket underneath the chrome accent vents. If you make them functional, you may get water into the engine compartment and cause changes to under-hood airflow which could affect many things in the engine compartment.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How important is the chin spoiler for my car? What happens if I remove it?
The chin spoiler, which I assume you mean the flap of rubber under the nose of the car, is very important in cooling. If you remove it, air that is supposed to be directed up into the radiator may pass underneath the car and your cooling flow may be reduced. I would not recommend you remove it.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Any plans for making an iPod controllable from the steering wheel? Any Bluetooth plans for the Solstice?
I do not know, but I will forward on to see if there is an answer.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Any plans for E85 capability?
I do not know if the Solstice is on the list of cars to be made E85 compatible. It is currently NOT E85 compatible, so do not fill your car with E85.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why does the exhaust have a welded cap in the end of the tube at the rear of the muffler?
I recall that this was the configuration that gave us the best balance of exhaust volume, sound, and manufacturing cost. I will ask if there is more detail.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There are two "snorkel-shaped" holes in the understructure of the hood. What are they for?
I do not know, but I will try and see if there is an answer.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There are rubber parts and seals on later cars that are not on my [earlier built VIN] car. Should I update my car? How do I get this updated?
If a seal or other change is needed, your dealer will have a service bulletin on it. Some changes are not compatible with earlier cars, and your dealer's service department should be able tell if any updates are required for proper functioning of your car.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The carpet hook/hole securing feature is different in earlier cars when compared to later built cars. What is up with that?
I do not know, but this is an interesting observation. I will forward this question on and see if there is an answer.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The MX-5 automatic has a paddle shifter. Is this going to be offered on the Solstice automatic?
I do not know. I will forward this question and see if there is an answer.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My car has a squeak/leak/wind-noise/wet carpet when it rains/other defect.
Issues like this must be fixed at your dealer and should be covered under warranty.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Many of the magazines are saying the Saturn SKY has a suspension with longer travel and is softer, and that it rides better. Is this true? What is the difference between the Solstice and SKY suspensions? Will the Solstice get this change?
All production versions of the Solstice, SKY, and Opel GT have the same suspension travel. We changed the jounce bumper on the SKY by shortening it, which reduces contact with the jounce bumper on slightly larger bumps than the suspension on the Solstice. The total suspension travel remains identical.

Then, we retuned the shocks to take advantage of this shorter jounce bumper, to try and refine the ride and reduce the impact to handling and steering. The suspension on the SKY is not softer or harder than the Solstice. The overall ride differences are noticeable, and unexpectedly, there is little to no change to the handling. This change was introduced exclusively to the SKY during the introduction of the car, as there was an emphasis to get some more refinement on the SKY, and allow some field exposure to see how the market would react. Early on, we had comments that the Solstice might be "too soft", and a change that improves ride can sometimes be misinterpreted as "too soft" if taken out of context.

We are always looking at ways to accomplish continuous improvement, so obviously this is a potential candidate to roll into the SKY's sibling car, the Solstice, at some point in the future.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Can you tell us the difference between the FE2 suspension and the FE3 suspension? Can you tell us what is different about the GM Accessories Suspension?
The FE3 suspension, available only on the GXP, Red Line, and Z0K, has stiffer springs (20% higher ride rates), retuned shocks, larger anti-roll bars, and stiffer lower control arm bushings vs. the FE2 suspension. The FE3 shocks were final-tuned by driving the car at Nurburgring in Germany, and balancing that performance on the road in Germany and back here in the States. The GM Performance Suspension package consists of stiffer springs than the FE3 for about 18% stiffer ride rate than FE3 or 38% stiffer ride rates than FE2, higher damping shocks that were set more to accommodate auto-crossing with heavy rebound damping, and also features the larger anti-roll bars identical to the FE3 suspension package. The performance suspension creates a harder ride, and while it definitely is stiffer for auto-cross type handling, may be uncomfortable for some drivers/passengers for long distance or highway driving.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What kind of performance can those of us waiting for the GXP expect? Is there a difference between the automatic and manual transmission GXP?
Our official information shows 5.5 seconds 0-60. Quarter mile times are just under 14 seconds and around 99 or 100 miles per hour.

I have seen runs made by our drive quality engineer lower than this, as low as 5.3 or 5.25 seconds in a manual. This can be dependent on road conditions, the driver's skill level, and we feel that 5.5 seconds should be achievable by most publications when they test the car. The automatic transmission version can consistently do 5.5 or 5.4 seconds 0-60, a bit slower than a well-driven manual.

Incidentally, I have been trying to spread the word that most, but not all, organizations subtract the rollout time from the raw number. For consistency, we do too. Automobile Magazine, for example, does not subtract rollout, which is usually 0.3 seconds. I have passed this information on many people through e-mail and private message systems at many forums, including Solsticeforum, but it bears repeating.

Explanation from Automobile Magazine on rollout

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
What can you tell us about the performance and turbo lag of the GXP and the Turbo engine? What kind of fuel economy can we expect?
The turbo lag is minimal to mostly not detectable. The boost builds very quickly, and is one of the best turbo engines I have ever personally driven. The torque comes up to peak quickly and pulls very consistently to about 5300 or 5500 rpm and then drops off. If you are running above 2200 rpm and push the pedal, the response is nearly immediate and max boost is reached in about a half second or so. I find it very fun and very impressive, and I think those of you ordering the GXP are in for a wonderful surprise.

On the way here to Kansas City, I averaged about 28 miles per gallon, and the Driver Information Center showed peaks of 32 MPG. I was getting about 350 miles per tank on the way here, filling with about 12.5 gallons.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Is there a boost gage on the GXP (and Red Line)?
Yes, if you page through the menu on the Driver Information Center [DIC], it is available as a boost reading number in PSI (or metric if you switch units) and an active histogram. It is in the DIC right after coolant temperature.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
When is the seat height adjuster going to be available? Can I retrofit my car with the seat height adjuster?
I do not have an answer for either, but I will forward on to see if I can get an answer for you.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
What is the boost pressure setting for the turbo? How easy will it be to alter it?
The boost pressure varies according to conditions, from 14 psi on cold days to as high as 18-20 psi on warmer days. The engine control software is very well integrated, very complicated, and it will be difficult to alter the tuning.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I noticed little foam blocks in the fabric of the top in some triangular shaped pieces when I open my trunk, just below the rear window. What happens if I remove them? What if they appear to be out of place or appear to have loosened?
These foam blocks are important to keep the drainage tubes open so water that seeps through the forward edge of the trunk can get to the drains and out of the car. If these blocks are displaced or loosen, they may block the drain tubes. If these blocks are removed, the drain funnels will not catch water where they should and could cause the trunk to get wet. If they appear to be displaced, have your dealer look at and repair them.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Differential and Temp limits

What is the designed standard operational temp. limit of this carrier? What is the max. temp. that this unit is operating in during the summer months in the deep south / southwest? The same questions would be asked of the lube spec. used within the carrier.

The maximum operating temperature of the differential is not something we generally share. It is dependent on the thermal characteristics of the fluid used, and also depends on how long you operate it at elevated temperatures.

Our validation of all components is very throrough. We account for all operating conditions from the lowest to highest temperature extremes, and evaluate/validate our cars over a large range of altitudes and conditions from normal driving to the road course and even the Nurburgring.

The lube specification can be found by researching the characteristics of the recommended differential fluid. It should be readily available if you contact your dealership for the specifications and do a little bit of research on the fluid.

It is generally bad practice to design a system with components that operate at temperatures in excess of the lubricant used in that component, be it an engine, a transmission, or a differential.

If by some way you are implying we may not have accounted for all of the conditions this car may encounter, I can assure you that we have.

If you can get Mazda to admit their operational envelope for the MX-5 differential thermal performance, and Honda to admit the same information for the S2000, I will take that back to our engineering staff and see if we can provide the same information.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts