Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Less hassle even though sounds like you have a nice car. Is look around for a nice GXP then sell yours. More to start with and if you need more plus all the electronics to control the extra power. Will be cheaper in the long run. When you go to resell you cut the buying pool way down with a modded car. Even more so with the age group that likes these cars. Supercharger with a short 1st gear will be a hand full before you get to redline. The ones I've seen just burn the tires and look like snooze you lose in a race. Supercharger does sound cool inside the car
I thought about that, and there's no question that it's good advice - but I'm committed to THIS car for reasons which are a longer story than you'll care to read. If I were going to compete with the car I'd do exactly that - more power right out of the gate, less money per HP going up from there, and by most accounts a greater potential for maximum power - but I'm only looking to make this car a more sprited driver. It's weird I know, but my goals just aren't what most who add power are.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
I thought about that, and there's no question that it's good advice - but I'm committed to THIS car for reasons which are a longer story than you'll care to read. If I were going to compete with the car I'd do exactly that - more power right out of the gate, less money per HP going up from there, and by most accounts a greater potential for maximum power - but I'm only looking to make this car a more sprited driver. It's weird I know, but my goals just aren't what most who add power are.
I don't think its weird. It is exactly what i did. Sometimes practicality and absolute performance are not the most important factors.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just got done installing the DDM supercharger two weeks ago. Great kit and total complete. Took two days to do the install by my self and could have been done faster if I wasn't so darn fussy. Instruction where good with a couple small gaps to figure out, no big deal. Car runs strong and happy with the performance. Did not want a turbo because of the added heat under the hood. Something I was not expecting was a increase in fuel mileage, if I take it easy I'll get 32 MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Given the price of the turbo and supercharger kits, I’d consider going with an LNF instead. A friend here recently got a new (possible remanufactured, but this engine was clean inside and out) LNF, complete with turbo, for about $2200 from ATK. He’s put about 2k miles on it so far and has had zero issues.

Now, you’d also need a replacement clutch and flywheel (they’re different for the LNF and LE5), a tune and an intake, but my feeling is that you’d wind up with a more stable result.

I love the turbo kit on my ‘06, but the LNF is a different beast.

On the note of turbo vs SC:

I enjoy driving an SC-equipped car a LOT more than turbos. It's as close to an NA torque curve as you're going to get in a forced-induction application. I've heard many times about the power that SCs take to run, and that's true. In the "Jay Leno's Garage" episode on the C7 ZR-1, the Chevy rep mentioned that the supercharger took something like 300HP to run at redline. (Of course, it generates way more than that, or else it'd be a waste of time.)

In a perfect world, we'd have a nice 48V electrical system capable of (easily) running some sort of electric turbo assist at low RPM to combat lag. Or a nice big V8.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Given the price of the turbo and supercharger kits, I’d consider going with an LNF instead. A friend here recently got a new (possible remanufactured, but this engine was clean inside and out) LNF, complete with turbo, for about $2200 from ATK. He’s put about 2k miles on it so far and has had zero issues.

Now, you’d also need a replacement clutch and flywheel (they’re different for the LNF and LE5), a tune and an intake, but my feeling is that you’d wind up with a more stable result.

I love the turbo kit on my ‘06, but the LNF is a different beast.

On the note of turbo vs SC:

I enjoy driving an SC-equipped car a LOT more than turbos. It's as close to an NA torque curve as you're going to get in a forced-induction application. I've heard many times about the power that SCs take to run, and that's true. In the "Jay Leno's Garage" episode on the C7 ZR-1, the Chevy rep mentioned that the supercharger took something like 300HP to run at redline. (Of course, it generates way more than that, or else it'd be a waste of time.)

In a perfect world, we'd have a nice 48V electrical system capable of (easily) running some sort of electric turbo assist at low RPM to combat lag. Or a nice big V8.
Its something like 10% to run a high end supercharger more like 75-80 hp on the vette. Top fuel 900-1000 hp to run theirs

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
@TireKicker

Yeah, that 300 number struck me as a little ridiculous. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts