Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a large, mainly uncut portion of an email i recieved from a local living by the plant, with a solstice on order.....

As I told you, I work 1.5 miles from THE assembly plant (Mecca). My car (VIN #xxxx) was invoiced Oct. 19, and marked "shipped." My dealership is 8 miles from the assembly plant. How many days does it take to travel 8 miles? 20 days and counting!
Here is what I learned on Friday afternoon.
I tortured myself at lunchtime, bought my hotdog at the convenience store nearby and drove over to the plant to see the SEA of brand new Soltices sitting on the lot behind the plant. I was hoping to see if any auto carriers were leaving the plant. Oddly enough, a carrier was there UNLOADING Soltices, and the driver was near the fence, so of course I engaged him in conversation, and this is what he said (paraphrased):
He was bringing cars BACK from the closed Baltimore GM plant, where they have engineers working on these retro fits to fix the leaks. He's been taking cars down and bringing them back for weeks. He said NO CARS have been shipped from the plant in a month. He said his company has a contract to haul the cars, and of course they are losing money because the cars aren't being released for shipment. They keep "marking" them for shipment on the computers, but they are not leaving the plant.
In fact, he was told Friday that the plant was finally releasing 77 cars Monday (today), which is the first release in weeks.
I could post sad photographs of acres and acres of Solstices sitting at the plant back lot, waiting for love and attention from their anxious owners.
So no matter WHAT the dealers are being told by GM, no cars have left the plant in weeks. Don't know if 77 left today, but there's no reason to question the carrier's story.
He was a nice man, and actually said the car is outstanding - he gets to drive them on and off the truck.
Still waiting in Delaware......

·
Registered
575 Posts
Cricket:

Once again -- you are the best. Always the best info. Thanks !!

·
Registered
191 Posts
From the looks of the posts in the "getting" section, those 77 shipped

·
Registered
9 Posts
no solstice yet

I was told that my car was manufactured on Oct 9, and was told i would have it in three weeks. Well still no car, so I phoned GM and they told me that they normally do physical inspections of 1 in every 10 cars that are manufactured and that with the solstice its 1 of one because they want to get it right. Man am I livid. They told me 2-3 weeks more.
Any one else get this line?? Thanks

cadillacricket said:
Here is a large, mainly uncut portion of an email i recieved from a local living by the plant, with a solstice on order.....

As I told you, I work 1.5 miles from THE assembly plant (Mecca). My car (VIN #xxxx) was invoiced Oct. 19, and marked "shipped." My dealership is 8 miles from the assembly plant. How many days does it take to travel 8 miles? 20 days and counting!
I tortured myself at lunchtime, bought my hotdog at the convenience store nearby and drove over to the plant to see the SEA of brand new Soltices sitting on the lot behind the plant. I was hoping to see if any auto carriers were leaving the plant. Oddly enough, a carrier was there UNLOADING Soltices, and the driver was near the fence, so of course I engaged him in conversation, and this is what he said (paraphrased):
He was bringing cars BACK from the closed Baltimore GM plant, where they have engineers working on these retro fits to fix the leaks. He's been taking cars down and bringing them back for weeks. He said NO CARS have been shipped from the plant in a month. He said his company has a contract to haul the cars, and of course they are losing money because the cars aren't being released for shipment. They keep "marking" them for shipment on the computers, but they are not leaving the plant.
In fact, he was told Friday that the plant was finally releasing 77 cars Monday (today), which is the first release in weeks.
I could post sad photographs of acres and acres of Solstices sitting at the plant back lot, waiting for love and attention from their anxious owners.
So no matter WHAT the dealers are being told by GM, no cars have left the plant in weeks. Don't know if 77 left today, but there's no reason to question the carrier's story.
He was a nice man, and actually said the car is outstanding - he gets to drive them on and off the truck.

·
Registered
705 Posts
CC ya come through for me again! That's what I call real time information! If I only had an aproximation on my shipdate I could kick back and relax! Sounds like my thoughts of Christmas may not be too far off. Thanks again Cricket!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Larry Karpiak said:
I was told that my car was manufactured on Oct 9, and was told i would have it in three weeks. Well still no car, so I phoned GM and they told me that they normally do physical inspections of 1 in every 10 cars that are manufactured and that with the solstice its 1 of one because they want to get it right. Man am I livid. They told me 2-3 weeks more.
Any one else get this line?? Thanks
You're livid because they want to get your car right?

·
Registered
176 Posts
What the...

Amazing, albiet distressing Recon from Delaware... Maryland... Ohio... Flint, MI... wherever. Maybe my Solstice will get to visit all 49 other states before it gets here. I wonder what other burned out GM factories it'll see on it's world tour? When does a new car cease to be new? When will I cease to care? Am I (we) being Punk'd? Call out Ashton Kutcher and let's end this. This is nuts. We're supposed to be excited about 77 cars in a month? For the love of Mike! Great Caesar's Ghost! Jane, stop this crazy thing. Sha-ron!

Thanks for passing this info on, Cricket. I know... don't kill the....

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
guess computer system shipping info just isn't accurate right now. Also explains why the shipments have mysteriously stopped.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just a note, I see at least one carrier leave the plant every week.They've sent out at least half of what was out there in the past few weeks. And the lot was completely full.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks CC, man I knew something was going on cause we have not seen that many I got my car posts lately. That's why I did "Have you seen......."
post to put the question out where are they? With production apparently running pretty good the sols had to be in some kinda GM pergatory. Well least they are trying to get it right. We will get them sooner or later.......

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
How will we know what they are fixing on these cars and if there are things on the delivered cars that need to be updated to the new parts?? IS there anyway to find that out?

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
cadillacricket said:

BETTER TO GET CARS RIGHT FIRST DONT WANT WATER IN MINE WHEN I WASH IT :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just observation...my dealer in Memphis received two Mysterious w/ cloth last week and a Sly w/Leather last Friday..and yes..saw all three and they are worth the wait..so some are being shipped! As for mine, has been "shipped" (Mysterious w/Leather) but dealer says expect last of Nov..early Dec.

·
Registered
203 Posts
When will GM pick up my car to be repaired

I will leave her in the driveway with the keys in it, in case i'm not hope..

Is this for the wind noise issue or the water leaks??

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The problem I see with this is that it says there hasn't been any releases in weeks, and yet we know that cars have beeen delivered during that time. I just don't think it's completely accurate.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
...This is weird. Mine was released and put on the carrier on Halloween and left the plant on the 4th of November. I guess mine must of been one of those 77. Wow, thats luck.

Thanks again Cricket for the information. Your the best.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was told that my #1352 left Delaware on Saturday to go to Ohio for its top. That's a new one. Anyone get that story before? How come I see pictures of cars with their tops sitting in the lot in Delaware?

·
Registered
32 Posts
another truckload in michigan

Whoever said no cars are leaving the factory lot is wrong, based on what I saw at 9:45am this morning (tues, 11-8):
Was on northbound I-75 going into Detroit and passed a trailer load of solstices. They went past my dealership's exit, so I guess mine 2nd one was not on that load. My first one arrived 9-29 and I never thought it would take this long for the 2nd one to arrive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Speculation alert!

I am speculating that there were a number of cars manufactured with faulty gaskets around the top. They are being fixed. Meanwhile, they have fixed the problem on the line and the new cars coming off are good to go and are being shipped. If you drive by the plant one thing you will notice is that the cars on the left side of the lot seem to have been there a while. The cars on the right side of the lot and in the back lot look to be newer. The ones I saw over the weekend were being shipped out to dealerships not for repair. They already had their window stickers and an "OK to ship" label on them and I believe that is one of the last steps prior to shipping (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TR6 said:
Whoever said no cars are leaving the factory lot is wrong, based on what I saw at 9:45am this morning (tues, 11-8):
Was on northbound I-75 going into Detroit and passed a trailer load of solstices. They went past my dealership's exit, so I guess mine 2nd one was not on that load. My first one arrived 9-29 and I never thought it would take this long for the 2nd one to arrive.
What an astute observation. Is it possible that those cars had already left the plant or staging area, and couldn't be shipped back? I don't know for sure, but when a driver for the company says "we have been bringing them back for two weeks, and none have left the plant since then ", you would think there would be some truth to that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts