Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning people.
I'm installing a set of Cipher CPA1026 Series Racing Seats in my 2007 GXP and I'm assuming that I will have to transfer all the original wiring from the old seats. Is that correct? :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Those are the same seats I'm installing. Mine are white with black stripes. Yes, you'll have to transfer the original wiring to the new seats.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
There are three wiring looms on the seats:
1. Driver side height adjuster (obviously not reqd on the new seats)
2. Both Driver and Passenger seat-belt latch switches (will need to transfer this unless you want seat-belt warnings all the time)
3. Passenger air-bag presence detection wiring, module and occupant sensor (will need to transfer this whole set in its entirety).

Be very careful of #3. It's easily damaged and very expensive. This, on it's own, may dissuade you from swapping seats.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are three wiring looms on the seats:
1. Driver side height adjuster (obviously not reqd on the new seats)
2. Both Driver and Passenger seat-belt latch switches (will need to transfer this unless you want seat-belt warnings all the time)
3. Passenger air-bag presence detection wiring, module and occupant sensor (will need to transfer this whole set in its entirety).

Be very careful of #3. It's easily damaged and very expensive. This, on it's own, may dissuade you from swapping seats.
Thanks for the feedback. Both seats are out and awaiting arrival of new black Ciphers with white stripes. ;)

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Just another question for you guys getting these... How will you mount the seat belts now? Will you replace them with a harness, or somehow reuse the factory belts and re-mount the attachment clip (which is attached to the inboard sides of the factory seats)?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Yeah, when I had my 73 vette, I was seriously debating getting a pair of those. pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should get the seats this week so I'm just starting to research the install procedure. It appears that if you replace the passenger seat and decide to use the stock seat belts you must somehow transfer the 'inflatable restraint passenger presence system' to the new seat, otherwise you must use 4 or 5 point harnesses. I don't know if that pertains to the drivers seat also.
Some of you folks that have replaced your seats must have run into the same problem. :dunno:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just another question for you guys getting these... How will you mount the seat belts now? Will you replace them with a harness, or somehow reuse the factory belts and re-mount the attachment clip (which is attached to the inboard sides of the factory seats)?
I haven't figured that out yet. I'm still waiting for the new mounting brackets/ sliders to get fabricated by one of our vendors. It's an R & D project for them. So, I don't have a timeline as to when they'll be completed. I want to use the OEM seatbelts and maybe have the option for a 5-point harness if I want to use one.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I should get the seats this week so I'm just starting to research the install procedure. It appears that if you replace the passenger seat and decide to use the stock seat belts you must somehow transfer the 'inflatable restraint passenger presence system' to the new seat, otherwise you must use 4 or 5 point harnesses. I don't know if that pertains to the drivers seat also.
Some of you folks that have replaced your seats must have run into the same problem. :dunno:
Err...

;)

Unless you want a constant airbag error warning, you'll HAVE to at least plug in the sensor module and mat (even if you store it under the seat) no matter what harness you use.

For reference, this is the module (black box) and mat (foam pad and flex circuit) ripped apart for your perusal. Note that it is glued down on the seat bottom foam, under the leather of the passenger seat. There is none on the driver side.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Err...

;)

Unless you want a constant airbag error warning, you'll HAVE to at least plug in the sensor module and mat (even if you store it under the seat) no matter what harness you use.

For reference, this is the module (black box) and mat (foam pad and flex circuit) ripped apart for your perusal. Note that it is glued down on the seat bottom foam, under the leather of the passenger seat. There is none on the driver side.

Thank you my friend, you just saved me a lot of work. Your assumption may be right. In order to fool the computer we may have to re-connect the black box. I'm thinking of trying to reattach that flex circuit to the new seat.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Thank you my friend, you just saved me a lot of work. Your assumption may be right. In order to fool the computer we may have to re-connect the black box. I'm thinking of trying to reattach that flex circuit to the new seat.
There's no "assumption" about it. It's a certainty.

For more regarding the fragility, expense and requirements for the sensor, read: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/panssenger-airbag-sensor-75353/ and http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/recall-passenger-airbag-sensor-70726/

Others who have swapped seats have had to move the sensor over too. I remember kennysabarese did it for one... maybe you could PM him for more info on his swap (there was a thread he put up somewhere too, I believe). UPDATE: here: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=3519.0

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
The page TS cited looks like a zebra convention!

Why are you changing them, looks, or support? I usually find that more supportive seats tend to be a bot of a pain on the street, although just the thing to hold you in place on the track.

Be aware that the minute you change belts (assuming you may go to a racing 4 point harness) the insurance companies WILL use that as possible negligence in any accident claim, alleging that it wasn't DOT approved, or was improperly mounted etc., etc. Bastards! If you do it right the race belts will be safer, but they don't care.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Why are you changing them, looks, or support? I usually find that more supportive seats tend to be a bot of a pain on the street, although just the thing to hold you in place on the track.

Be aware that the minute you change belts (assuming you may go to a racing 4 point harness) the insurance companies WILL use that as possible negligence in any accident claim, alleging that it wasn't DOT approved, or was improperly mounted etc., etc. Bastards! If you do it right the race belts will be safer, but they don't care.
I hear that. I've never seen an air bag in a rally car and those things roll over and crash into trees all the time. Give me a harness anytime.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I'm just personalizing my baby a little bit. If I transfer the seat belt warning device i'm still going to install a 4 point harness.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's no "assumption" about it. It's a certainty.

For more regarding the fragility, expense and requirements for the sensor, read: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/panssenger-airbag-sensor-75353/ and http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/recall-passenger-airbag-sensor-70726/

Others who have swapped seats have had to move the sensor over too. I remember kennysabarese did it for one... maybe you could PM him for more info on his swap (there was a thread he put up somewhere too, I believe). UPDATE: here: Kirkey Racing seats and 6 point harness installation

Thanks TS great pictures (where did you get that seat to pull apart?)
This is going to be a fun project.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Thanks TS great pictures (where did you get that seat to pull apart?)
This is going to be a fun project.
That pad/module and the photo, was from a forum member, "israelisolstice". He took his damaged seat apart and sent me what you see in the photo (all the way from Israel!), so that I could try to debug the failure. It's all documented in that first link I gave you - I found the problem, see post 76 on page 6 of that thread.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/panssenger-airbag-sensor-75353/index6.html

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That pad/module and the photo, was from a forum member, "israelisolstice". He took his damaged seat apart and sent me what you see in the photo (all the way from Israel!), so that I could try to debug the failure. It's all documented in that first link I gave you - I found the problem, see post 76 on page 6 of that thread.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/panssenger-airbag-sensor-75353/index6.html
Once again TS thanks. Your interest in diagnosing technical problems and laying that information out there for all of us to benefit from is remarkable.
If I'm not getting too personal, what line of business are you in.

P.S.
What do you think of the idea of trying to swap that pad/module over to the new seat as apposed to bypassing the control circuit to make the computer think that the seat is constantly occupied?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.