Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,Steve here.New to the site and a new Solstice owner (4 weeks).Tonight I got a call from the wife saying the little car wouldn't start ('08 GXP w/ 12k miles).By the time I got to her,our grandaughter had used her phone and found someone online who told her to turn the key and hold it for several seconds,which they did,and after doing this twice,it started. So we were able to drive it home.Problem is,now the dash is not functioning.No speedo,tach,fuel gauge,or odometer,and all the warning lights are on.Is this something I am going to have to see a technician about,or is this something I can "clear"? Also are these cars prone to gremlins of this sort?I certainly hope not.We love the car ,but....... .Thanks for any advise.Steve

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Steve. I have a 2007 GXP & so far I haven't had any "gremlins". Hope you find an affordable solution to your problem.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome aboard and good luck.

If your Sol has the original battery then it's probably about 5 years old now. These cars can do weird things as the battery goes out since they have exacting electrical requirements. Would start with a good new battery and go from there.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Yeah, not a lot of gremlins to speak of but there have been some weird results from old batteries.

That said, there's a lot you can check without a tech and most autoparts stores have a code scanner you can borrow for initial troubleshooting. Most also check your battery for free.

For this, double-check your fuses, the body fuses under the passenger foot-rest and the rest in the engine compartment and make sure they're all seated properly. I had an issue where the main ground in the engine (on the front, passenger-side of the valve cover) had broken/was loose so that sort of thing is good to check as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much guys.I'll get the battery checked out today and eyeball the other items as well.The weekend is here and the wife is beside herself wanting to get out in her new ride and we all know "if Momma ain't happy..........".I'll post what I find.Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.I just checked the battery and got 12.53 volts,which is a little low (I think a fully charged 12 volt should read 13.5 or more?),so that could very well be at least a part of the problem.But.... I cranked the car and all is fine now.? Makes me a little antsy about venturing too far from home for a while.The battery is an AC Delco and,yes,it might well be the original item so maybe we should go ahead and put in a new one.I think maybe I should at least have it checked with a meter that checks it under load instead of static,like I just did.Wanting to do a road trip later this summer or fall and want to make sure I get any issues taken care of well in advance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Be sure to read the battery replacement processes on the forums. There are two different methods. I happened to use the remove fender and fender bracket method as I wanted to remove a dent in bottom of fender. I made sure to mark the bracket and fender locations according to the posted process so I could get them back on in the same place. Only had to make two minor adjustments to get the fender to line up with the door and hood then.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
The kappas are basically fly by wire if there is not enough power to boot up the BCM, ECM, and on auto cars the TCM and to support all the instrumentation and sensors during boot up, you can get the kind of reaction you described

Get a good new battery and clean the battery posts and cables. One bad connection can be a problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The saga continues!Drove the car to O'reiley's auto parts and had them check the battery.The guy said it checked 100% (whatever that means)so I closed the hood and,you guessed it,it wouldn't start! After trying it several times,it suddenly started.So I decided to drive it straight to the Mercedes dealership where we bought it four weeks ago_On the way,the gauges didn't work and all the indicator lights were on,then the lights went out and the gauges started working.The guy at the dealership sent me next door to the Hyundai dealer (owned by the same folks) since the only "Pontiac tech" was now working there.He looked at it and (while it was running w most things acting normal) noticed the security warning light was on and said "that is probably the problem".Really???????? Then they told me that I would probably need to take it to the Accura dealership (two more doors down the street) since they were the only ones who had the proper diagnostic equipment,and that the folks we got it from might pay the bill.I'll find out tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
Another thing you should do is re-seat all of the relays and all of the fuses. Open the covers, and press on each of them. There have been instances of relays and fuses vibrating loose, and resulting in intermittent problems.

One way to eliminate (or confirm) the battery as a problem is to check the voltage at the main terminal of the underhood fuse block while you are trying to start the car. While you are there, check that terminal to make sure it is tight.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
How many keys do you have?.
The security warning maybe because of the key not working properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steve, I am having the same issues that you are describing. The battery was checked out by NTB and found no issues. I have taken the car to a Chevrolet dealership and they can not find anything. Did you find out what you problem was?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Sounds like (maybe) an intermittent ground. Always good for a laugh, those. There are many ground locations, but with a failure to start, I'd look at the engine block grounds first... take 'em off, clean & scour and replace.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
To go along with TS's comment, there were a rash of "events" several years ago that were ultimately traced to the block ground on the front end of the engine. It can come loose or suffer corrousion that causes the ground to fail intermittantly.

The BCM runs the gauges and gets its data from the ECM. Check the connectors to / from the BCM and ECM.

A very few people had problems with the cable bundle that connects to the fuse box in front and above the battery. They had assembly problems from the factory that did not show themselves until they had significant miles on the cars.

We have a great tech that we use. If all else fails, I can get you in contact with him. He has been working on 25 Kappa's for 5 years. It is possible that he could consult with a local tech if it came to that.

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
There is also a chassis ground on the right side frame rail, more-or-less below the headlight. That connection can get corroded and cause similar problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same problem 1,500 miles from home last week....

There is also a chassis ground on the right side frame rail, more-or-less below the headlight. That connection can get corroded and cause similar problems.
Problem on Cabet Trail...GMC in Sydney, Nova Scotia..Service was to busy to help. John from Management came to our aid and it was a couple of min: later he had another John who was I think ahead of the service department..
We explained the same problems as above...Some of the lights I had never seen before..(07 GXP just turned over 50,000KM) He removed a FUSE, BRACKER, I thought that it was #2, but after reading above..I Now think that it was #7..waited a couple of mins: He said it was their way of puting the car to sleep...Replaced Fuse and started up..have not had a problem...since.
(Like rebooting a computer)..On that morning we come out and found that the trunk had tried to open..It may have been jarred in the back roads and it confused the computer. If this works for you...Call this man and say thanks ..his cell # 902-578-2035....office...#902-564-4491
Please mention that your are part of the SOLTICE FORUM
Good Luck SHEZOOMM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts