Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Any ideas on how much it will cost to insure this thing? I was once told by an insurance agent and was told new vehicles are usually based only on MSRP. (Of course this was an SUV so perhaps he was thinking just that catagory).

I know driving record plays a BIG part in this but a ballpark would be nice. (Knock on wood, no tickets after 10+ years on the road).

Also, the car will be lightly driven, if at all in winter, does this change things?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think it will depend alot on where you live, driving record, age, theft ranking for similar cars, if you were born on the Planet Earth, etc. etc. Around here (northeastern Wisconsin) I would anticipate a $400 to $600 per six months premium.

·
5,600 Posts
I expect insurance to be very very close to Miata prices. Cars that are high theft, high horsepower or high accident rate get very expensive. The Miata is a bit underpowered and tends to be bought and driven by older and more responsible drivers. I would think it would be a scosh more expensive than your average family sedan but nowhere near the price of a V8 Mustang or a Honda S2000.

·
4,592 Posts
IF the Sol is a second car it will be much cheaper. But if like the wife and I who share a ride always, and she is licensed, it is seen NOT seen as a second, car that sucks! So, the 4x4 is tucked away in storage for the summer to save the insurance.

The MSM is about $900 for 6 months in LA, but we carry high limits and low dedutibles. So, unless you live in LA, expect something between what I pay and what the guy from wisconsin estimated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What abou ta male under the age of 25? my only accident will be off my record in april and no tickets, but I'm still not looking forward to shopping around for insurance. however, this thread is making me feel better about it. and depending on what they will give me as a trade in for my car (97 mitsu mirage), i may just keep it as the primary car and the sol as a secondary car for the insurance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well as an insurance agent, I can tell you it all depends on what "symbol" the car gets assigned...that is what makes a difference car to car (as opposed to your unique variables such as age, gender, credit, driving history, location). This rating is set independently of the companies (all the companies use the same symbol for a given car).

The symbol is based on some of the factors previously mentioned: cost of the vehicle, power/performance, theft rates, crash safety, typical types of drivers, etc.

Sometimes the symbols are logical, sometimes they are a little weird. On a new model it is going to be more of a guess but as someone suggested, it will probably be rated similar to a Miata, Z3, or S2000...at least initially.

As an example, a Taurus is somewhere around an 8, my 2002 2WD Envoy is a 14 (which is stupid because a 2WD Trailblazer (same vehicle) is a 12), my 1997 Corvette is a 23, and a 2003 Mustang GT Convertible is a 24. These are just some I remember from memory...

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
From past experience an Accord LX was the same class as a Firedbird, but a Sunfire with engine upgrade to same hp as Accord was much less. Cost of repair must come in somewhere.

·
4,592 Posts
Anybody know the minimum number of days a car can be insured for (liability)?
Is it a per company issue, or an industry standard to have a min of 30 days?

we only use one car at a time as we always ride together. But, since the wife is licensed, they want to charge us for both cars for liability. So, we have the 4x4 in storage, no liability required. But, we do want to use it once in a blue moon. Our insurer says the min they can do is 30 days at $100. We need something more like 1-4 days.

Any ideas would help!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
RODEO said:
Anybody know the minimum number of days a car can be insured for (liability)?
Is it a per company issue, or an industry standard to have a min of 30 days?

we only use one car at a time as we always ride together. But, since the wife is licensed, they want to charge us for both cars for liability. So, we have the 4x4 in storage, no liability required. But, we do want to use it once in a blue moon. Our insurer says the min they can do is 30 days at $100. We need something more like 1-4 days.

Any ideas would help!
Here in PA each driver has to be primary on one of the cars regardless of how many over 1 per driver. Key is to have drivers matched up so prems are less, don't have the kids primary on newest, etc. Multiple discounts are another way and also think about buying house insurance from same company for additional discount. Some companies will allow a storage rate while some will figure a lower rate for the third or fourth car for two drivers understanding that mileage driven and exposure will be less. What you have to watch is keeping the min required so that the state doesn't ask for your plates back while the car is off the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts