Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a roadster, but what can I expect in insurance vs. my current or past cars? In insurance terms... I have owned a "sedan" and a "wagon"... both of which put me in the $600/6 month area (I'm 21 so yeah, I get killed on insurance). What is a roadster classified as? Sports car? Compared to another car a person owns, what percentage increase would he experience for a car like the Solstice? Anyone have any examples to share?

Also, this being a weekend-only or summer-only car for many of us, what different ways are there to classify the car in insurance terms based on how often you drive the car? I recall you can reduce your insurance payment based on how little you drive a car...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was quoted a lower price on a MR2-Spyder than my Toyota Celica. I would have thought 2 seats, rear drive and higher price would have all made the insurance more but apparently not. Theft and accident rates with the cars are probably as big as factor as any specifications of the cars themselves.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yes a weekend car will be less because you drive it less and therefore the risk is less. I think it would be a "pleasure car". Make sure you tell them that fact if yours is a weekend car.

Overall the rates may depend on HP and other factors.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well it's not a basis but the S2000 is the most expensive car to insure under 40K. I think it was tied with the Mustang GT.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There are a lot of factors that go into it. What the cars buyer demographics are, accident repair costs, theft rates, the cars value, etc etc. It also heavily depends on who the insurance company is. Back when I bought my Fiero, some insurance companies (including the one I was with) refused to insure it at all. I ended up at Allstate, who not only insured it but quoted me a rate lower than the Ford Probe 4 banger I had at the time.

I don't think Miata rates are all that bad either. A couple years ago I was shopping the following cars, WRX, Celica GT-S, RSX Type S, and a few others. The WRX was cheapest, even though it was clearly faster. The RSX-S was a lot more expensive, but I think that is because of the high cost of Honda parts (raising collision repair costs) and the high theft rate on Honda products. The Celica was somewhere in the middle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts