Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any input on this . In my quest to add some more performance to my car and do some heat protection under hood after my turbo install I came across a company Design Engineering Inc that makes these header wraps and also a product which is a liquid carbon dioxide spray .Basically they have a couple of products that reduce the temps in turbocharged cars using CO2 ,I'm looking at the intercooler kit supposed to drop temps 30 degrees . Anyway I ordered some of their products to wrap my wires and power steering hoses with and read about this and became intrigued .Anyone out there used this ?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
An aftermarket intercooler does a great job cooling the air from the factory turbom

Phonelic spacers help out a lot too.

I'd think your money would be better spent there.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
blackbird : I have a pretty good set up from Hann I was just interested in this because of their claim and I'm trying to lower under hood temps and maybe gain a few more horsepower

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me. Spraying liquid CO2 on a hot intercooler will definitely cool it, but the idea that there is a coating you can spray on there that will permanently add cooling is ridiculous and defies physics.

The best something could claim would be better heat diffusion. I know that Werks offers a coating like this on their IC. If that is what you're talking about, you might ask werks in their QA thread about that coating.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Seltz: It's not a coating but a system that sprays liquid carbon dioxide into the intercooler kind of like nitrous .As a side note they are a reputable company, they sell that header wrap which a few of my friends who drag race use and they also sell thermo wrap products to protect your wiring and hoses and they also make a turbo blanket.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
The sprays do work, but aren't very useful except for limited runs as in drag racing.

Wonder what your operating cost per mile would go up to if you ran nitrous, IC spray, water injection?

BTW, technically you can't spray liquid CO2 at your IC because it can't exist at normal atmospheric pressure. When it comes out of a nozzle, it is a cold gas; when it is under more than 5 atmospheres of pressure it will be liquid.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
DO NOT wrap your header with ANY product. There was a post about wrapping headers to protect other vital components from heat and the header will crack!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DO NOT wrap your header with ANY product. There was a post about wrapping headers to protect other vital components from heat and the header will crack!
Yes I read that, there seems to be more negatives than positives for these header wraps .I was interested in their heat shield wrap for wires and to protect my power steering hoses as I relocated my reservior

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
You already have a larger IC. Do not waste money.
Folks unless you have a LARGER turbo or race your car, the OEM IC is fine.
By the way the IC will not generate more HP, both the OEM and the aftermarket will always get the same outside temps as you drive.
The exception is heat soak but that only happens if you are racing/autocross etc..

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I would disagree.

Pushing the stock turbo beyond its thersold causes a lot more heat in the charge air.

An aftermarket intercooler would help to remove some of this heat.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I wonder if you could install a couple mini fans to the IC and solve your problem a whole lot cheaper and safer. Are there any write ups on the difference in IC temperature increase versus loss of HP? That's what I'd be interested in seeing. and yeah, I't think as soon as that gas turned to a liquid, you'd develop cracks near the spray site and in a hurry too depending on IC temp. real good ideas though.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off I want to thank everyone for their input on this subject I am always looking for ways to improve my car and when I came across this product I was intrigued.One of my main reasons for looking at this is underhood temps. Having a NA car with an aftermarket turbocharger on it I'm looking at options to address this situation. On my list for improvements is a set of Norms ZR1 fenders ,a new hood , and maybe even a GXP front bumper cover.The last time I went to Summit Racing I looked a a ram air style scoop that mounts under the front bumper cover but having a lowered car this is not an option .Thanks again everyone the quest continues!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts