Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the previous threads, I wanted to look at the Dejon Intercooler. Now I see they are out of business. Could not find RPI either. :( So my question is, who is left other the Hahn and DDMWorks? I wanted something as a direct replacement without cutting at a reasonable cost. Dejon seemed to fit the bill. Are there others in the 500-600 range that are decent intercoolers?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Why do you want an IC? The OE works just fine unless you have an aftermarket turbo. I am getting one this fall to set my car for a bigger turbo next spring after the snow is gone. Otherwise the OE is just fine for anything you throw at it. The only IC makers left are DDM Works (great company), Performance Autowerks and Hahn.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Yup - what he said. Don't bother with a new IC if you run stock turbo and your IC is in good shape.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I will be getting DDMWorks charge tubes to replace stock. Suspension upgrade right after that.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Why do you want an IC? The OE works just fine unless you have an aftermarket turbo.
In certain situation the stock ic doesn't work just fine even with a stock turbo. Due to its small size the ic retains heat and can't get rid of it, then you go wot again it gets even hotter and hotter and then you get knock retard.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Yeah, but that doesn't apply in normal driving, only in back to back full throttle runs in competition. Very few owners are in that category.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Nope. won't make a damned bit of difference in a single acceleration run. You need to do a few back to back without time to cool off before the larger IC has any pay off. Almost all street drivers do a single acceleration run, from a stop light or otherwise, and then drive normally until the next challenge to their manhood appears! :bruce:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think if you're tuned and running well beyond the stock boost levels, an aftermarket intercooler IS helpful. I have logs of my car before and after - on the stock intercooler there are 25º+ temp deltas during long 3rd gear or 1st-2nd-3rd gear runs. With the Hahn intercooler, it drops to close to 2º deltas for the same types of runs. Barely above ambient. This is with a 24psi tune on the stock turbo - having the intercooler especially helps when running it up to (and probably out of) its efficiency range.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wouldn't this be the case with just a drive up a mountain highway where you are in third and fourth all the time? I know on trips from NC to Tenn I push my Isuzu Rodeo Sport pretty hard in Power Mode.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts