Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it turns out that my avenger, which I had mentioned in my previous post, lost its 2nd gear all together. Which makes sense because thats where, while driving, it would disengage into neutral. They said it would cost me 1300 to repair, this from what seems to be the most honest shop in town. The interesting turn of events is that a friend of my father's from work, was going to junk this grand prix...still have no details on it, going over later tonight to check it out....so for $50(the junk fee) I will have a car more powerful(v6 I believe, avenger is v4) he claims it was a cop car at one time, anyone ever heard of them using a grand prix? I kind of doubt it. Its a 5-speed which will get me ready for driving the solstice(avenger is auto). And the only mechanical problem it has is a leaky radiator(avenger had multiple others besides tranny) Its much worse on the eyes, it seems all the fabric on the seats was ripped out, Ill have to take care of that with seat cover in front for now. And almost all of the clear coat is gone.....All in all I consider myself pretty damn lucky to have stumbled onto a deal like this

Now the important question....has anybody inquired about loyalty rebates on trading in a pontiac car to get our new solstices? I figure when its time for me to do so, now that I have a pntiac instead of a dodge will it get me(and anyone else who does so) any kind of additional rebate or price deduction?

·
Registered
154 Posts
DLD84 said:
he claims it was a cop car at one time, anyone ever heard of them using a grand prix? I kind of doubt it.
In Kansas, if the police pull over a drug dealer and they are convicted, the car becomes property of the state. Usually goes to the police or the DARE program.
And no word on any discounts for the solstice, including GM card, loyalty programs, or even GMS and supplier discount.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The loyalty discount might come into play when everyone that wants a Solstice has one. Really doubt they'll have one this year unless the car is released in the middle of the winter; which might happen.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Congrats on possibly finding a suitable replacement for the Avengor while you wait for the Sol! For the price, it sounds like a winner!

Lately it seems the GM Loyalty Rebate has applied to all vehicles (including Corvette), but it is not always offered. So you would likely have to be able to strike when it is offered, and when the Sol is available for delivery.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Audio Imagez said:
What year is the GP? Yes, Grand Prix's have been used as cop cars before.
Some new info on the car. Its an '89, v6 5 speed. It has multiple "quirks" :lol: none that will kill me but Im sure will give me a few challenges until I know the car. When the headlights are turned on the digital guages and all other lights in the dash turn off :willy: that will be the first thing fixed sometimes when the driver door is closed too hard it locks itself :willy: thats the two major ones I believe. Its a two door so I cant see it being a full cruiser, no room for perps in the back, but maybe a highway patrol or something.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DLD84 said:
Its a two door so I cant see it being a full cruiser, no room for perps in the back, but maybe a highway patrol or something.
Maybe it was an undercover car. The way to check is to look for scuff marks on the roof from the magnetic siren! (obviously I watched too many 70's cop shows as a kid!) :lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well its been a few weeks since Ive been able to get line, I notice some interesting changes in the forum! Im now fully capable of driving stick, so Ill be ready for my solstice when I finally get one! The new(old) car is treating me well enough, every now and then I discover a strange new smell :lol:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
A lot of 2 door cars are used as "Detective" cars. If you really want to know it's history, you can have a title search done for less than fifty dollars. It'd show if it was once owned by a state or city government. But seeing as that was the total price of the car, it'd really have to be a question keeping you awake at nights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts