Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The interior plastic trim on my passenger door has been rubbed off in a couple places. The trim is black and there's some white showing through. Does anyone know of a good fix for this? It's the big interior door panel.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
The interior plastic trim on my passenger door has been rubbed off in a couple places. The trim is black and there's some white showing through. Does anyone know of a good fix for this?
Which trim?

The switch trim can be replaced or painted.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Most plastic pieces are dye'd anyway and you can buy that online.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Everything in the black interior cars is solid-colored plastic, with the exception of the dash boomerang (painted) and the door inserts (vinyl). (And the chrome parts obviously)

I'm guessing that the door inserts are what the OP is talking about. You can get vinyl dye (paint) and try that, but I doubt it would be an 'invisible' repair.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Most plastic pieces are molded in color, but they can indeed be dyed.

Most interior trim pieces are molded in color but some are what is called a "90% match" and painted. That is to say the color of the plastic matches the final color about 90% and the paint brings it to the final color and finish. This is done so that if you scratch the paint off, it still looks "close" rather than a hideous color exposed. (Think of the first plastic covered bumpers that started to lose their paint, exposing an awful bright yellow under it.)

In their never ending quest to make things cheaper, car companies back in the late 90's starting using polypropylene in interior trim pieces that they never would have considered before due to it's limited strength and ease of scratching. To make it stiffer they compound talc powder into the polypropylene which acts as a reinforcement. Well, you know what color talc powder is - so when you scratch deep enough you expose the white talc in the polypropylene.

As Rob requested, which piece? (Post a picture?) Might well be able to guide you to a solution pretty easily.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Based on my vehicle, I'm guessing the door panel itself. I have white scuff marks near the speaker...

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I think the original poster is referring to the same problem I have...the top edge of the interior door panel looks like it's fading from exposure to the sun. I tried Mother's Back to Black. It didn't work.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Bolts - kind of a chalky type appearance? I don't have it on my Sol but my F250 is showing signs. It's definitely UV degradation.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Bolts - kind of a chalky type appearance? I don't have it on my Sol but my F250 is showing signs. It's definitely UV degradation.
Yes! I worked on it today. Shoe polish works, but it's not black. I mixed a little grey into the black polish to get a match. Now the touched up part is shiny, so I guess I'll get something to shine up the rest of the panel. I believe leather wipes will do it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the same fading problem with the top of my doors, but my interior is Steel/Sand. How can I get the "Steel" color back to normal?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
This is interesting - - - let me work on this. The UV degradation is irreversible. We need a way to reverse it's effects. More importantly we need to be able to get you back to your original color.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
This is interesting - - - let me work on this. The UV degradation is irreversible. We need a way to reverse it's effects. More importantly we need to be able to get you back to your original color.

Hmmm.
Given that's what it is, may be nothing you can do. Apparently Chrysler went through this for their grey plastic bumpers. Only thing they could come up with, was a paint job (and you know they really didn't want to pay for that!.

Full detail here: AllparForums: 2001-2003 Bumper Discoloration - PT Cruiser - Allpar, the Chrysler Car Community

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I think the original poster is referring to the same problem I have...the top edge of the interior door panel looks like it's fading from exposure to the sun. I tried Mother's Back to Black. It didn't work.
I have the same issue with the '06 and would love to hear what a solution might be (I'm guessing painting might be the only/best way). :cryin:

No fading on the '08 but I would like to make sure it doesn't. :willy:

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Well the obvious options are:

1. Replace
2. Recolor (paint)

As the door panels (and I believe most other trim pieces) are polypropylene, not just any paint will stick to it. Even paints designed for plastic furniture might not get you what you want both in terms of color match and durability. If you do paint, I'd recommend reducing the surface tension of the plastic by flame kissing or a heat gun. You want to heat it just enough for the molecules on the surface to "move" - you'd see a slight shiny effect happen.

To address the gloss match issue, I've ordered a product called "PerFix" that is used in the plastics industry to mask cosmetic blemishes. We identified a gloss level here and shared it on the forum. We bought black because that was the issue at hand. They make a clear that is available in different gloss levels that could be helpful in matching gloss and providing some higher level of durability.

Lemme look for the thread.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Update on the shoepolish fix: I didn't get the color match exactly right, but it looks a lot better than it did. The leather wipes brought the gloss on the rest of the panel up to match the polished portion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was never happy with the hard plastic interior in the Solstice, so a few years back I had the interior completely recovered in leather/vinyl and have been thrilled ever since. It wasn't cheap but for me, it was the right solution.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I was never happy with the hard plastic interior in the Solstice, so a few years back I had the interior completely recovered in leather/vinyl and have been thrilled ever since. It wasn't cheap but for me, it was the right solution.
I appreciate that you said it was the right solution for you; I like the plastic interior. Once, I was caught in a rainstorm with the top down...light mist to really bad to light mist...about 100 miles. I kept the top down...didn't want to pull over...in a hurry. If you're going along at a good clip with the top down, seat lowered all the way, windows up, windscreen on, little to no water will hit the driver, and not much gets into the cabin. Anyhow, some water did get on the dash and another plastic panel or two. When I took my 200 mile break, wiping off the interior plastic, it occurred to me that had it been leather (like I was considering doing) the water might damage it. While it is hard and somewhat ugly, I find the plastic practical, easy to keep clean and maintain as it is, paint, or customize any way one desires.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts