Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a few more shots from this mornings visit, particularly the inside of the cover.

A few underbody shots and one I was hoping to show the width of the tires with.

www.ddz.net/solstice/delivered

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Those are some great new shots Excelsior. I'm sorry that your cars sitting in a common area that the salesmen have probably called all their Solstice prospects to invite them to an early look and to answer what is their primary question, "do I fit?".

Seeing that you're taking the day off Monday, I would find out what time they open and come in and start repeating the question, "are you done yet?"

You should be driving by 10:30

T-Minus 22 Hours 20 minutes all systems are go for launch

·
Registered
993 Posts
Nice pictures of areas we don't ordinarily see. Thanks!
Have they washed it yet?
I've been reading in other threads where there are "extra" charges being placed on the car at delivery. Have you had any trouble similar to this?

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
Possible Liner?

I have read in other threads that they are working on getting a liner for the Sol's top (to hide the metal inside). Any word on that and will it be a possible mod, or just a future feature? :confused: Thanks!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that "gum" is just grease for the two adjoining metal pieces. You kinda have to zoom in and think about it.

After seeing the inside of a Miata top numerous times, I don't think a cover would be an improvement especially since eventually you would have to deal with sagging material. The bars or nicer than lots of other convertibles I have seen already. I for one don't expect a lot of my time looking UP while in the car with the top up.

What would be nice is a modification to remove or flip down the rear window maybe.

Dealer says they don't even own it right now since there is no invoice, therefore it cannot be washed. All of that will be done on Monday while I observe and take pictures.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Excelsior said:
that "gum" is just grease for the two adjoining metal pieces. You kinda have to zoom in and think about it.

After seeing the inside of a Miata top numerous times, I don't think a cover would be an improvement especially since eventually you would have to deal with sagging material. The bars or nicer than lots of other convertibles I have seen already. I for one don't expect a lot of my time looking UP while in the car with the top up.

What would be nice is a modification to remove or flip down the rear window maybe.

Dealer says they don't even own it right now since there is no invoice, therefore it cannot be washed. All of that will be done on Monday while I observe and take pictures.
I agree. I won't be wasting money for a headliner. The ribs of the convertible top have never bothered me. You just kinda accept that it's a convertible. And most of the year I will have the top down, anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
I have read in other threads that they are working on getting a liner for the Sol's top (to hide the metal inside). Any word on that and will it be a possible mod, or just a future feature? :confused: Thanks!
Headliners are not meant to hide the workings of the car really. The liner is meant to be an extra layer of insulation that serves two purposes. [1] It keeps noise out better due to beign a thicker and denser layer between you adn the outside enviroment. [2] It helps maintain the interior temperature better by acting as insulation.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
brentil said:
Headliners are not meant to hide the workings of the car really. The liner is meant to be an extra layer of insulation that serves two purposes. [1] It keeps noise out better due to beign a thicker and denser layer between you adn the outside enviroment. [2] It helps maintain the interior temperature better by acting as insulation.
That is a good answer. My buddies Cobra replica has no top, so I really have not rode in a convertible, with the top up.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Excelsior said:
I for one don't expect a lot of my time looking UP while in the car with the top up.
:agree: If you asked me now about the bows in my Miata I'd have to run out and look. It's something you never really take note of.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
graybird said:
Maybe I missed something on previous threads, but that is not the tire shown on the original pics of Solstice on the Pontiac site!!??
Check out www.fast-autos.net/pontiac/solstice20.html
The concept car shown had
Eagle F1 GS-D3, which is a Max Performance Summer tire.

Production cars got
Eagle RS-A, which is a High Performance All-Season.

Why the switch? I can only think of a handful of cars that are equipped with Max performance summer tires from the factory. They can be touchy at temps below 40 degrees and totally suck in snow (dangerous). (you may not get out of your driveway with only a skiff of snow)

The average buyer gets a little ticked if the first thing a dealer tells them is that they should shell out another $1500-$2000 for rims and tires if they want to drive it when it turns sightly chilly. :brentil:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
We have heard rumblings of some kind of after-market liner. Nothing firm yet I've seen.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Compared to my Miata, the inside of the top on you Sol is a liner. My Miata has some fabric stetched between the metal supports and that fabric doesn't even got completely to the outer edges of the top. I like what I see even without an additional liner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Excelsior said:
I added a few more shots from this mornings visit, particularly the inside of the cover.

A few underbody shots and one I was hoping to show the width of the tires with.

www.ddz.net/solstice/delivered

I believe the Silver Solstice that was on display at the Aug 5th celebration ( on the patio near the river) had the new headliner. This is a factory option I was told.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
LBJay said:
Why the switch? I can only think of a handful of cars that are equipped with Max performance summer tires from the factory. They can be touchy at temps below 40 degrees and totally suck in snow (dangerous). (you may not get out of your driveway with only a skiff of snow)
You say that like it would be a bad thing. :lol: I am not planning on driving this car when the white stuff flies, but that may be changing this year with a projected delivery of mid November.

The thing about "All Season" tires is that they sort of work year round and they sort of don't. If you live in the snow belt, All Seasons only work the first season in winter. Most of us have a second set of rims with Winter tires.

Given that the Solstice is a fair weather car, I would have thought we could option summer tires, rather than all being given a compromise "All Season".

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great pictures! Thank you for taking the time to post. Just makes me want my car even more. Did they hand wash the car? I don't want my dealer to put my baby through an automatic wash after it gets off the carrier.

·
Registered
528 Posts
LBJay said:
The concept car shown had
Eagle F1 GS-D3, which is a Max Performance Summer tire.

Production cars got
Eagle RS-A, which is a High Performance All-Season.

I spoke with the engineer responsible for the tuning of the suspension. He stated that the RS-A was a better compromise for all season driving. The Solstice does very well in bad weather with this tire, he added the F1 is a good summer traction tire that did not perform as well in the rain as the RS-A. He would recommend anyone looking to do track days or autocross check out the Hoosier tires for those events and keep the RS-A on for daily driving.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.