Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We haven't talked much about the interior styling of the Solstice. What does everyone think of it?

Personally I like it a lot. IMO too many cars today are going with the whole futuristic/modern approach with long strips of metal and angled lines and space-age seats.

The Solstice interior has a more simple look with nice curves.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its not real busy which is a good thing. A roadster should be functionl and not be distracting. There is no need for all kinds of crazy brightwork, or future-retroism stuff going on. I also like the two tone interior with the light tan/beige and darker grey. Having the two colors keeps it from looking dull, and having plenty of the lighter color will help keep the heat level down in direct sun!

There is only two things I might change with this interior. The first would be to swap the location of the stereo and climate controls. The stereo is in about the same spot on my Fiero, and its not all that convenient having to reach around the shifter to fiddle with it.

The second, add some more guages. I like to have a full set of guages in a sports car. Not just the tach and speedo with a fuel guage and a cluster of idiot lights. From what I can tell, this guage cluster appears to be mainly idiot lights.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree If more guages aren't available as a factory option, my first modification planned is 3 more on the driver's side windshield post. Other than that, I love the interior as shown. Glad they didn't go in the after thought direction that has become too common at GM. The "interior" on a roadster is outside most of the time.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
It's missing one thing, a nice little boost gauge for the supercharger option :D

Besides that I love the two large speed+tach guages. I would prefer the tach more center as the prominant guage with the speed gauge butted up next to it though.

I love the door handles as well. The arm rest with the grip at the end so your passengers can use them to hold themselves in place when you're driving faster then they want you to be.

I like the new circular air vents most vendors are moving towards. They seem to work a lot better than the old fin based ones I have in my current car. My woman has them in her RSX, and they're wonderful. You can close them with a quick flip, and they can point anywhere.

The seats from the images seem to have a fairly nice curve on either side to support you while turning.

Can't wait to see the available color options, the current tan interior jsut doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said so far. Love the simplicity, love the handles, love the two tone colors, love the lack of goofy boombox styling, love the vents, would like to see more gauges (probably just water temp and oil pressure) and I even love the tan color. My one question, and this may seem petty and small, but where are the cup holders?

IMO, the Solstice should have two that fit a variety of sizes of cups, and be placed so they do not interfere with HVAC and radio operations. To me, this is very important because I intend to use this car everyday and travel in it. My wife has a Subaru Legacy, and in that car the cup holders are an after thought. When you use them, you can't get to the HVAC contols at all, and the radio is a pain to get to. It pisses you off more than you'd think. I'm hoping they will be located in the center hump behind the E-brake.

My other concern with the interior design has to do with the ability of the seats to recline enough with the fairings behind them. The show car makes this look limited in motion. I'm not suggesting they give up on the fairings though, I love those, I just hope they can make it all work out. I guess those are my main concerns with the interior design so far. Overall it looks almost perfect. :thumbs

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like the clean styling of the interior – very well done. The chrome rimmed white face gauges look great and the steering wheel looks like it will have a nice feel to it. I’d replace the shift knob with a polished or brushed aluminum ball knob. I’m hoping that the small gauge has at least oil pressure and water temperature readings (can’t make it out from the photos).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I for one am not a big fan of the two tone interior, but I could get used to it. Will this thing have at least one cupholder? Please?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
My one question, and this may seem petty and small, but where are the cup holders?
Real sports cars do not have cup holders! :jester

Seriously, I cannot imagine the final product not having a cup holder of some sort in the cabin. Everything seems to have them these days. based on the production concept (as opposed to the original concept) I am not sure there is a real good place for them. The center armrest and gearshift are at the same height, so a cup holder in that center armrest is bound to interfere with your arm while shifting. There doesn't appear to be room ahead of the gearshift for one. But maybe they will work something out.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re brushed aluminium shift knob: Watched a co-worker have to spit on the metal shift knob before he could drive the modified Miata he'd just bought. Got way too hot when parked in the sun. Said he'd forgot to put the wash cloth over it when he'd parked. Said it would be the first thing he'd changed. He's got a leather covered plastic one now. What looks good in a "normal" car doesn't always work as well in a roadster.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Re brushed aluminium shift knob: Watched a co-worker have to spit on the metal shift knob before he could drive the modified Miata he'd just bought. Got way too hot when parked in the sun. Said he'd forgot to put the wash cloth over it when he'd parked. Said it would be the first thing he'd changed. He's got a leather covered plastic one now. What looks good in a "normal" car doesn't always work as well in a roadster.
Does that mean an 8 Ball or Beer tap handle will be ok? :lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Re brushed aluminium shift knob: Watched a co-worker have to spit on the metal shift knob before he could drive the modified Miata he'd just bought. Got way too hot when parked in the sun... .
Yes, that can be a problem. I recommend driving gloves in the winter (when the knob gets cold) and a sack from a small bottle of Crown Royal in the summer. Either that or put the top up and a sunshade in the window when parked.

I had a Voodoo aluminum ball knob on one my former cars. Improved the shift feel considerably and looked great.

http://www.teamvoodoo.com/Voodoo/Knobs.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'll pass on the $125 titanium shift knob. But where can I get that rubber chicken key fob? Gotta like a company that has one of those in their adds!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
tcl said:
Yes, that can be a problem. I recommend driving gloves in the winter (when the knob gets cold) and a sack from a small bottle of Crown Royal in the summer. Either that or put the top up and a sunshade in the window when parked.

I had a Voodoo aluminum ball knob on one my former cars. Improved the shift feel considerably and looked great.

http://www.teamvoodoo.com/Voodoo/Knobs.html
Just keep an Ove Glove in the car for those summer days! :lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow! What can I say about the interior! Well, First off, I can't wait for the solstice to come out! I am 17 years old and trying DESPERATELY to convince them to let me buy one! Personally, I like the two tone beige but I would prefer a two tone blue interior and a...probably a sky blue exterior. One thing I think should NEVER be done to a roadster, (it should be in the roadsters book of no-no's) is put flames on it! That TOTALLY wrecks the roadsters appearance by taking away from the curves and the true beauty of the car! My only complaint is that it's only a 2-seater! And I know what all you roadster fans are thinking...All roadsters are 2-seaters, to have a 4 - 5 seater roadster is in the roadster's book of no-no's. But I would like to be able to take my friends in it, And I am really worried about people slashing my roof...if you get a security system (which I will) does it cover the roof to? Or are you guys the kind of people that would leave the roof down if your going somewhere for a certain amount of time...I wouldnt leave the roof down overnight but like if I was going to college for the day...just leave the roof down to save from jealous slashers? PLEASE ANSWER ME AND HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Bizz said:
i'd like to see some color co-ordination with the exterior colors.
Good idea! :thumbs That would be cool too. Maybe some color coordination with seat inserts, guages, etc. I am thinking something along the lines of the RX-8 which on the red cars anyway (maybe others, I dunno) has a black interior with red highlights on the seats, steering wheel, and dash. Not a ton of red, but enough to make the interior look sharp!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts