Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Solstice GXP. For the last month or so my battery light has been coming on intermittently. I had a new Diehard battery installed a couple years ago when I replaced the engine. I checked and cleaned the cables, they seemed fine and reattached to the battery. It didn't change anything. I drove it a few days, and went to Sears, they tested the battery and alternator and said they couldn't find a problem. I drove it another week or so and went back, the didn't give me any real definition of the problem but went ahead and changed the battery for free. That didn't fix the problem. At first the light only came on when I stopped the car abruptly, or slowed way down quickly. The light went on.....sometimes the little bell sounded, (indicating the light went on)and it stayed on a couple seconds and went out. I took it to two different shops but they said without the light actually on, they couldn't see anything wrong. The battery was fully charged and charging normally. It has gotten progressively worse. Now it comes on and off, seemingly for no reason. If I am going slow in traffic, it may stay on for some time before going off again when I reach normal speed. Even at speed now it is coming on and off. I don't know if it is the alternator or a bad ground. I had a new starter put in it a year of so ago as well (not that I think that has anything to do with it). Any suggestions before I go ahead and change the alternator ? Any videos of the change that anyone knows of ? What's the best deal on a replacement alternator ?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Are you sure it is the battery light? Could it possibly be the low coolant light? They look very similar and many of us at first thought the low coolant light was the battery light.

The battery light is highlighted in blue, the low coolant light is highlighted in yellow.

:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
:agree: My thoughts exactly!

However, if it IS the battery light, then you may have an alternator going south.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine had been coming on for about a year, but only after 'spirited driving' at high revs. it was the voltage regulator in the alternator. I replaced it two weekends ago and no more battery light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts