Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air conditioner blows cold and then not cold intermittently. It doesn't seem to matter what the engine speed is and is unpredictable. I will of course take it in (its a 2007 GXP and my warranty is only good for another 6 months) but thought I would see if I could get some intelligence before hitting th dealer.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'd KISS first.

Is the A/C light on?

Are you making sure the vent selector is pointed in the right place.

Nothing worse than wasting time at a dealership.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Several people have had that problem and it ended up being a sensor, I believe it was the engine temp sensor to turns on the fan.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Critterman. That's exactly the type of info that is invaluable when you take it in for service.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Several people have had that problem and it ended up being a sensor, I believe it was the engine temp sensor to turns on the fan.
I had something like this with another brand, the sensor involved caused the system to think that the engine was overheating so it shut down the A/C compressor. False overheat, failsafe mode or something like that.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
With only 12000 miles on the car, my 2007 GXP a/c is not working either. Have others experienced this problem as well? Is it mostly the sensor that is described in this thread?

thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
first way to check is toggle info button to read coolant temperature. If the temp shows ___ rather than a number, it is the sensor not reading ... and yes, the engine a/c thinks it is overheating.

·
Super Moderator
16,744 Posts
There is also a calibration procedure that is described in other threads. I have not had to perform it but I read that several users had success with doing the recalibration of the AC temp controls. Check it out if your sensor is not failed.

·
Registered
623 Posts
There is also a calibration procedure that is described in other threads. I have not had to perform it but I read that several users had success with doing the recalibration of the AC temp controls. Check it out if your sensor is not failed.
(PUT SOME BAD INFO IN THERE WHEN ID POSTED THE RECALIBRATION PROCEDURE FROM MEMORY - EDITING TO INCLUDE CORRECT PROCEDURE)

Actuator Recalibration
When replacing an air temperature, mode, recirculation actuator or the HVAC control assembly, the following calibration process needs to be performed:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control assembly during self-calibration. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

1) Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

2) Turn the Temperature dial all the way to the right.

3) Turn the blower control dial all the way to the right.

4) Turn the mode position dial all the way to the left.

5) Simultaneously press and hold the A/C and Defrost buttons until the LED's start to flash.

6) Once the LED's stop flashing, calibration is complete.

NOT THIS: With the engine not running, turn the left knob (fan) all the way to the right and turn the other two knobs all the way to the left. Push the center buttons on the left and right knobs simultaneously until the defroster and recycle lights start blinking. Once they are blinking let the system go through it's entire cycle (it will turn the fan on and off, etc.), and once it shuts off, you are re-calibrated.

Worked like a charm for me last summer.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Will this work in the dead of winter? I won't know if it will work given how cold the outside temperature is. thanks!

Anyone know the cost of the GM extended protection plan?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi there!

I don't think the calibration is dependent on outside temperature.

I had an intermittent A/C issue pop up last year, and recalibrating it fixed it.

Oddly, my 2006 Helm manual says that our A/C system doesn't have a recal. feature though it works. It's not the first error I've found in the book but it's still the best service manual out there for the car.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Today was finally warm enough to try this experiment. It didn't work. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've had this car for almost 5 years and it only has 16k miles on it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought an '06 last week with 45k on it and noticed a problem with my A/C 2 days ago. Intermittently the A/C goes from freezing cold to the temperature of the sun. Not only that, but when the temp selector is 95% cold it blows very hot air. I took it back to the dealer today to pick up some new tires they owed me and I'm having them look into this problem as well. Hopefully things go well. I'll figure out tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to Rob The Elder.... I first noticed this issue last summer, but it wasn't a huge deal, so I lived with it. But I had a long road trip on a blazing hot day, and I told myself I was gonna sort it out. Found this thread, did the recalibration, and now it's cold as a meat locker with the top up. So a big THANK YOU. Now if only I could magically do the same in my Crown Vic whose AC is blowing nothing but warm air...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've been having trouble with mine not getting cold enough. Tried the recalibration but didn't help so I took Shadow into dealer yesterday (07GXP; bumper-to-bumper warranty expires on July 30).
They said I need a part (on order), which is probably the sensor you guys are talking about. Also mentioned the intermittant problem with operating the passenger auto window from the driver's side switch and they are gettin me a part for that too.

After this I guess any repairs are on my dime. Of course, now I can do stuff (mods)without worrying about screwing up my warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
From the "Probably Worthless Information Department"....the A/C will stop working on acceleration and cycle back on when you have achieved cruising speed. Really notice it only when it's really hot outside. Now, back to more relevant discussion.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
From the "Probably Worthless Information Department"....the A/C will stop working on acceleration and cycle back on when you have achieved cruising speed. Really notice it only when it's really hot outside. Now, back to more relevant discussion.
Was ignorant of this and now cured :lol: thanks :thumbs:

Can we confirm this at the Vineyard this weekend? :devil:

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Was ignorant of this and now cured :lol: thanks :thumbs:

Can we confirm this at the Vineyard this weekend? :devil:
As the drag racing fans back in high school used to say...."...any stretch of open road will do." !!!!:devil::devil: [rich kids with lawyers; whadda gonna do...]

"Never involve the public in your own stupid decisions!"

1 - 20 of 68 Posts