Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an interesting phenom. with my 2006 Solstice NA: Occasionally(only once in awhile) when braking on steep downhill stretch, I get a short flash of my Battery Warning light. The batery has never been discharged, is maintained on a battery tender when idle for a few weeks in the winter, and gives no other warning signs. Other than a failing battery, has anyone seen this same thing or have any ideas what the warning light is signaling??

·
Registered
728 Posts
Have you ever replaced that battery? If not looks like it's over 7 YO.. Time for a change?
And no, I have never had my batt light "flash" for anything, mine just died...couldn't even remove the key when mine went...
I own a 07 Sky na..

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
Perhaps it's your low coolant light, and not your battery light. At a brief glance, they look similar, and the "steep downhill" part of your message is what is prompting me to mention this.

Many of us had a similar experience back when our cars were new in 2006. In most cases it was the coolant light flashing because the combination of steep downhill and braking moved the level in the tank forward, exposing the sensor in the tank to "no" coolant.

The symbols are on pages 3-27 and 3-29 of your 2006 Owner's manual.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DaveOC (aka SolWhat?) Great tip! After referencing the manual. I find the Coolant light is a yellow icon while the battery is a red icon. I'm racking my memory for which I have seen - it flashes so quickly that by the time I look at it, it is gone. That action sounds like splashing coolant AND mine is a little low. I'll top it up and see if the gremlin returns. You have made me feel stupid to not have tumbled to that myself. Oh well. that's what the forum is for - to make us all as smart as the smartest among us.
Thanks

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,475 Posts
DaveOC (aka SolWhat?) Great tip! After referencing the manual. I find the Coolant light is a yellow icon while the battery is a red icon. I'm racking my memory for which I have seen - it flashes so quickly that by the time I look at it, it is gone. That action sounds like splashing coolant AND mine is a little low. I'll top it up and see if the gremlin returns. You have made me feel stupid to not have tumbled to that myself. Oh well. that's what the forum is for - to make us all as smart as the smartest among us.
Thanks
A whole bunch of us felt pretty stupid when we figured it out . . . of course that was a long, long time ago.

I hope that was it. BUT . . . if you are still on the original battery, it is time to change it, these cars get quite flaky when the battery begins to go away on you. Preventive Maintenance 101

1 - 5 of 5 Posts