Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -
I’ve developed an intermittent starting issue on my 2007 GXP. If the car sits for a couple days ( generally ) I will depress the clutch, go to start the car, and the car doesn’t try to start. If I listen by the under hood fuse box I can here the click from the relay. Without lifting my foot from the clutch, if I turn the key again it will 90% of the time start on the second try. Sometimes it takes a third try. I called my mechanic and told him my findings. My assumption was since I did not lift my foot from the clutch when I try to re-crank it and the relay is clicking under the hood was that I needed to replace the starter / solenoid. The mechanic said it could still be the clutch switch or the ignition switch. Am I wrong to think the relay wouldn’t click if either of those parts was the problem?
I researched on these forums and couldn’t find a walk through for my specific circumstance. I want to make sure I get it right so I don’t remove the manifold for no reason.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Could be the switch. Could be the relay. Could be the starter. Could be a weak battery.

I'd check your battery voltage at rest (car off, nothing turned on.) If it's not around 12.6 volts or so I suspect the batter or possibly the generator (alternator). When it's running, turn on the lights, dash blower, etc. and check again. If it's not above 13 and some odd volts, your car is not charging. That could be the voltage regulator or the generator.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Many cars are due for their second battery now. It's been an average of 12 years. Much like many are now going through thermostat issues. All things have their time. Even if a battery in our cars shows its good, it doesn't mean its good enough. Check your battery first. Then check the main ground strap on the driver's side of the motor. Clean it and make sure it's making good contact. After that the next cheapest thing would be clutch switch...then it's a toss up for starter and ignition. Have you had the ignition recall done? If not, get it done and see if that fixes the issue. If you have, from what I've seen, it's about a 5-10% failure rating in the new ignition switch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many cars are due for their second battery now. It's been an average of 12 years. Much like many are now going through thermostat issues. All things have their time. Even if a battery in our cars shows its good, it doesn't mean its good enough. Check your battery first. Then check the main ground strap on the driver's side of the motor. Clean it and make sure it's making good contact. After that the next cheapest thing would be clutch switch...then it's a toss up for starter and ignition. Have you had the ignition recall done? If not, get it done and see if that fixes the issue. If you have, from what I've seen, it's about a 5-10% failure rating in the new ignition switch.
The battery was replaced several years ago.
The ground strap looks good, but cleaned it anyway.
The ignition recall has been performed.
Does the clutch switch get pressed in when I press in the clutch or does it release? I was trying to eliminate the clutch switch by not releasing the clutch when trying to start the car again. If it releases though, it could be sticking.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Just because your battery was replaced "several years ago" doesn't mean it can't be bad. Back several years ago I had to replace my battery every year for 3 years straight. As far as the clutch switch goes, I'm not certain, never been down there....yet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan on getting out the multi tester and checking it today at rest and under load just to be certain. Better to eliminate the simple stuff first.
I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on getting out the multi tester and checking it today at rest and under load just to be certain. Better to eliminate the simple stuff first.
I appreciate the help!
Voltage checked out good.

Swapped the crank relay with the rear defroster relay and have not had an issue since.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Thanks for all the input everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts