Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I started my sol yesterday and didn't make it out of my apartment parking lot before the gauge needles all went dead and every trouble/indicator light on my dash came on and the DIC was flashing service ESC and some other stuff. The car seemed to run ok but as I drove the gauges would intermittently come to life or at least flicker and the lights would flicker on and off. When I shut the car off it wouldn't start. I tried it again and it came to life and the gauges were working. The only light on was the check engine light. I then began driving again and the gauge/ trouble light problem started again and continues today. I did notice that I could make this happen sitting still by turning the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Connector and/or ground most likely. Soup might have quicker access to diagrams and/or threads on this. There is a thread about 6 or 7 lines down on this page "DIC Cluster Dead" that explores options to check. I believe it ended up being a bad ground.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Check the ground wire on the engine. On the 2.4 it's on the left side as you're looking at the engine.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Connector and/or ground most likely. Soup might have quicker access to diagrams and/or threads on this. There is a thread about 6 or 7 lines down on this page "DIC Cluster Dead" that explores options to check. I believe it ended up being a bad ground.
Yeah, symptoms were similar but not quite the same. Still, go read this thread - I posted the cluster schematic there, and the resolution in his (cdnite's) case is at the bottom of the first page. Cluster and DIC Dead

With you saying the problem can be triggered by turning the wheel, I'm thinking it's more likely the cluster connector (or a pin in it) is loose and jiggling the wheel is moving the harness and hence the connector/pin. (Great minds think alike, CW.)

I've also seen someone post that their wiring was trapped and grounded in the steering column by one of the screws when they removed/replaced the column covers. You haven't done that recently have you?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you one and all...after considering all the good info given here, reading the suggested thread and a few more I found I decided to start with the battery and work from there. Well it went no farther than that! I found that both battery terminals were loose enough to easily wiggle. I tightened them both up and poof all my problems disappeared. All I can say is wow these cars have some sensitive electronics. No other systems were effected by this so, for all those having a similar problem I say start at the battery cause it doesn't take much of a voltage drop to cause this problem and a weak battery or loose terminals will be sure to wreak havoc on these systems.

·
Super Moderator
16,399 Posts
HA !!!!

The old man is right AGAIN!

LOLOLOLOLOL

thanks for the feedback.

I had a similar experience when my battery was very low. Turns out you can have enough EMF to start the car but not to boot up all the electronics

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
A nugget to put in the back of everyone's minds. Microprocessors use "ground" as the starting point for EVERYTHING. Without a good ground their behavior can get really nucking futty. This car, and everything being built in this day and age, has microprocessors EVERYWHERE.

Many moons ago we installed a computer integrated manufacturing system where I work. The first four units were installed on our molding machines as a "trial run". The maker ofthe system inspected our work, approved it, and all was well. We then installed the remaining 12 units and chaos ensued. The computers we installed would act stupid and fail at random intervals - some days one unit would go nuts, other days nearly all of them. Turns out the first four machines were computer controlled and had been installed with a separate ground rod to earth on each of them, so grounding the computers to the chassis worked fine. The remainin machines were all relay logic controlled and were grounding through the electrical supply.

Installing a separate ground rod on each machine magically made all the issues disappear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HA !!!!

The old man is right AGAIN!

LOLOLOLOLOL

thanks for the feedback.

I had a similar experience when my battery was very low. Turns out you can have enough EMF to start the car but not to boot up all the electronics
Your welcome for the feedback and thank you for lowering my stress level by pointing me in the right direction....lol. I'm a long time car guy and good with a wrench but, electrical problems have never been my thing.

Just an update...day two and a two hour round trip later and no issues :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts