Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Investigation Finds That 60% Of Spark Plugs Purchased Online Are “Verified Frauds”

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/investigation-finds-that-60-of-spark-plugs-purchased-online-are-verified-frauds/

If you’re thinking about buying spark plugs online, you might want to reconsider as an investigation has found that 60% of them are counterfeit.

Conducted by Australia’s Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) and a “coalition of automotive manufacturers,” the investigation found that a majority of the hundreds of spark plugs they purchased online were “verified frauds.”

Even more alarmingly, they’re virtually indistinguishable from ‘real’ spark plugs. Many looked perfectly fine and even came marked and packaged with Honda, Nissan, Mazda and Toyota branding. As FCAI Chief Executive Tony Weber said, “We have experts examining the packaging and spark plugs, and even they can barely tell the difference. You won’t know it’s a fake, until it’s too late.”

While the spark plugs look legitimate, they use low quality materials and have “inferior construction.” This can best been seen when the spark plugs are cut in half but, sometimes even then, it can be hard to tell them apart.

Unsurprisingly, ‘fake’ spark plugs can hamper performance and potentially damage your engine. According to FCAI, their low quality can cause poor ignition, poor fuel economy and poor engine start ups. They can also overheat and cause a “major drop in engine power, particularly under heavy acceleration or load.” If they continue to overheat, the spark plugs can melt and cause extreme engine damage.

The organization didn’t name the websites where the counterfeit spark plugs were purchased, but said the “automotive industry is working with relevant online trading platforms to remove listings and ban sellers of the illegal counterfeits from their sites.” Of course, the best way to protect yourself from fake parts is to buy from dealers, auto parts stores or legitimate online retailers.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Wow amazing that most spark plugs the car manufacturers sell online are fake.

Some one should take them to court.

·
Administrator
9,188 Posts
Investigation Finds That 60% Of Spark Plugs Purchased Online Are “Verified Frauds”

Conducted by Australia’s Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) and a “coalition of automotive manufacturers,” the investigation found that a majority of the hundreds of spark plugs they purchased online were “verified frauds.”
I'd say they were purchased on Amazon and not reputable company sites.

"You get what you pay for"

·
Administrator
9,188 Posts
Do you mean Amazon as a vendor? Or just 3rd Party vendors via Amazon. I would hope the former is 'reputable' enough. :surprise:
Hmmmm......Does Amazon purchase all their merchandise from reputable companies?

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's so hard to tell what study/investigation is legit with anything these days. Follow the money..... Meaning, it's done by the Chamber and Coalition, but who paid for the study? So now only buy plugs from auto parts stores and dealers. This will drive purchases to them. Lets see, auto parts stores and dealers are hurting from Amazon; just like every other retailer these days. Hmmm...
Are there studies on brake pads, air filters, other maintenance parts and replacement parts? My guess, the outcome would be the same. Why just spark plugs?
Worked on me, no more spark plug purchases through Amazon...

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
So...

Rock Auto for plugs and no more ACDelco parts from anywhere, eh? NGK only from motorcycle sites?

Foxsquirrel News isn't the only place for fake information, maybe.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
351 Posts
I kinda doubt it's just the online sellers... but yes many "ebay" type purchases are counter fit. my brother has a ongoing case with ebay and seller selling melling roller lifters for hie hemi. they arent melling as melling comfirmed that has a pile of them and didnt have a clue where there comming from.. many tymes it may not be a big deal. but sometymes it is. I got the iridum denso off flebay the boxes didnt liike quite like the older denso boxes.but. the plugs look good...and so far 6 months perform good. the acdealco rust specials that were in it....gladd I get them outa there. many times things are sold with oe part numbers and sorta says they are but there just using it for identification ... many people dont know how to tell squat about parts&peices. and many times it does not mater. and many times the name brand is just a box with thier name on it and still made in china. Im not find of china sensors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts