Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m trying to become hands-free with my iPhone… I am reaching out for ideas for what’s best to hold my iPhone and where to mount it. The center console is right above the power port, and I’m curious if they make any kind of dash mount holder or would it be best to do a window mount…
I don’t want to go online and scan 1000 different models, so if anyone can provide me a brand name and model, Or even a picture,it would be much appreciated…

I primarily need this for GPS
Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Gauge Car

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I’m trying to become hands-free with my iPhone… I am reaching out for ideas for what’s best to hold my iPhone and where to mount it. The center console is right above the power port, and I’m curious if they make any kind of dash mount holder or would it be best to do a window mount…
I don’t want to go online and scan 1000 different models, so if anyone can provide me a brand name and model, Or even a picture,it would be much appreciated…

I primarily need this for GPS
do you have CD player? there are holders that slip into the slot. such as this on Amazon: there are many....

Cellet CD Slot Car Phone Mount Holder Compatible for Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max Plus 13 12 11 Xs Xr X Mini SE Samsung Z Fold, Z Flip, Note 20 10 Galaxy S22 S21, Google Pixel, Motorola Moto

Bill

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
523 Posts
Here's what I use, as it does not block instruments, switches, vents, or the radio.

Mobile phone Product Telephony Mobile device Portable communications device

It's an EXSHOW Bike Cell Phone Mount... clamps on to the OS handle... does not mar... and the USB connector in the Radio is only 5" away, so you can use an 8" cord and not have it all coiled up all over the place.

Reactions: ColP

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts
You didnt mention if you have a stock head unit or not? I got a modern headunit, converted the aux power outlet to a USB port and ordered a little pleather tunnel pouch that i tuck my phone in and connect with a USB to lightning cable and the phone shows up on the head unit…
Light Vision care Audio equipment Eyewear Gadget
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey

·
Registered
620 Posts
I use a cupholder mount for my phone, in the prone-to-fail console side cup holder. It even fits the Santana cupholder that replaced the stock plastic one. Mine's from Amazon -- there are several, all seem to be various takes on the Weathertech one. It sits in the cupholder, wtih an adjustable expanding collar to secure the mount in the cup holder. A ratcheting fixture holds the phone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I retrofitted a phone mount into the airbag light thingy. It can articulate/telescope and doesn't block your view or access to buttons. Plus beats looking down at your phone while driving. Also, don't mind the crude vinyl wrap, it was my 2nd time doing it lol. How-to on the first iteration HERE
Automotive lighting Automotive design Audio equipment Circle Metal
Helmet Automotive tire Automotive design Material property Wood

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My phone holder is attached to the oh $hit handle like others and has wireless charging so I never have to plug the phone in to a cord.

View attachment 124654
I’m 6’2, looking that far down to the handle is what I’m trying to avoid. I guess I’m looking for something that goes directly above the PowerPoint toward the top of the dash, making it easier to see.
And how do you get wireless charging, curious?
You didnt mention if you have a stock head unit or not? I got a modern headunit, converted the aux power outlet to a USB port and ordered a little pleather tunnel pouch that i tuck my phone in and connect with a USB to lightning cable and the phone shows up on the head unit…
View attachment 124647 View attachment 124648
I have a 2006 with a stock radio/6 disc – CD, and 5 speed manual. I’m looking for placement of the iPhone to be above the CD player over the vents or vent controls…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you have CD player? there are holders that slip into the slot. such as this on Amazon: there are many....

Cellet CD Slot Car Phone Mount Holder Compatible for Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max Plus 13 12 11 Xs Xr X Mini SE Samsung Z Fold, Z Flip, Note 20 10 Galaxy S22 S21, Google Pixel, Motorola Moto

Bill
Thanks Bill…
If I put that unit in my CD player, it’s going to stick out right above my 5 speed shifter.
As I shift a lot, it would probably be in the way… I’m looking to have the iPhone higher, above the center vent controls or the vents, so I’m not looking down all the time.
I found that CD mount you mentioned, on Amazon… And I thought it would be awesome… Until I went out to my car and saw that It would put it right above my shifter…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Bill
I’m 6’2, looking that far down to the handle is what I’m trying to avoid. I guess I’m looking for something that goes directly above the PowerPoint toward the top of the dash, making it easier to see.
The pockets are available on eBay, BTW. Plain or GXP embroidered.
yeah that’s all pretty cool!
I have a 2006 stock radio, 6 disc CD and a 5 speed manual…
I just added a photo to my original post… I like the one reply about getting a CD mount, but it would be right in the way of my hand when I shift. As I am 6’2, I would like my GPS to be mounted higher toward the vent area…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My phone holder is attached to the oh $hit handle like others and has wireless charging so I never have to plug the phone in to a cord.

View attachment 124654
OK thanks… Do you remember the make and model of the mount? There are thousands of them out there.
Also, you mentioned you don’t have to plug in your phone to a cord, but it appears to be plugged in? Isn’t that the charger? If not how do you do wireless charging?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Thanks Bill…
If I put that unit in my CD player, it’s going to stick out right above my 5 speed shifter.
As I shift a lot, it would probably be in the way… I’m looking to have the iPhone higher, above the center vent controls or the vents, so I’m not looking down all the time.
I found that CD mount you mentioned, on Amazon… And I thought it would be awesome… Until I went out to my car and saw that It would put it right above my shifter…
this one is interesting, there are others like it on amazon

Car Phone Holder Mount, Phone Holder Car Rear View Mirror Rubberized Clips Cradl for 2.1 - 3.15 (Inch) Width & 0.6 - 1.9 (Inch) Thickness Car Mirrors and 1.95 - 3.55 (inch) Width Smartphone.

CD Slot Phone Holder for Car LISEN CD Slot Phone Mount for Car Vent One Hand Operation CD Player Phone Mount Ultra Sturdy CD Car Phone Holder Compatible with iPhone 14, All 4-7 Inch Cell Phones

Loncaster Car Phone Holder, Cell Phone Holder Silicone Car Pad Mat for Various Dashboards, Slip Free Desk Phone Stand Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, Android Smartphones, GPS Devices and More (Black)
4.3 out of 5 stars

GPS Car Truck Mount, APPS2Car Non-Slip GPS Bean Bag Dash Mount 2-in-1 Anti-Skid Friction Dashboard Sandbag Phone Holder for Garmin Nuvi Tomtom Via GO Magellan Roadmate & All Cell Phone iPhone

360° Car Rearview Mirror Phone Holder, Multifunctional 360 Phone Mount, Universal Rotating Car Phone Holder Mount (Black)

AND i have beanbag mounts for my garmin GPS and they are very stable

Bill

·
Registered
642 Posts
The charger is plugged into the USB port and the phone sits in the wireless charger. I never have to disconnect the holder/charger and the holder automatically closes when I put the phone in it. I bought it on Amazon but apparently the link to it from my order history will not work. It's an Mpow wireless charger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this one is interesting, there are others like it on amazon

Car Phone Holder Mount, Phone Holder Car Rear View Mirror Rubberized Clips Cradl for 2.1 - 3.15 (Inch) Width & 0.6 - 1.9 (Inch) Thickness Car Mirrors and 1.95 - 3.55 (inch) Width Smartphone.

CD Slot Phone Holder for Car LISEN CD Slot Phone Mount for Car Vent One Hand Operation CD Player Phone Mount Ultra Sturdy CD Car Phone Holder Compatible with iPhone 14, All 4-7 Inch Cell Phones

Loncaster Car Phone Holder, Cell Phone Holder Silicone Car Pad Mat for Various Dashboards, Slip Free Desk Phone Stand Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, Android Smartphones, GPS Devices and More (Black)
4.3 out of 5 stars

GPS Car Truck Mount, APPS2Car Non-Slip GPS Bean Bag Dash Mount 2-in-1 Anti-Skid Friction Dashboard Sandbag Phone Holder for Garmin Nuvi Tomtom Via GO Magellan Roadmate & All Cell Phone iPhone

360° Car Rearview Mirror Phone Holder, Multifunctional 360 Phone Mount, Universal Rotating Car Phone Holder Mount (Black)

AND i have beanbag mounts for my garmin GPS and they are very stable

Bill
Thank you so much… The rounded and curved dashboard makes it a little difficult to put anything up there flat, because nothing appears to be flat.
Could you please resend the first two, as when I click on them nothing happens, I don’t think you sent them as a link…
That would help so much… And again thank you
I bought mine from Kuda USA.

You bought what from Kuda?
I asked for make, model number and possibly a picture so I don’t have to scan thousands of what ifs… Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use a cupholder mount for my phone, in the prone-to-fail console side cup holder. It even fits the Santana cupholder that replaced the stock plastic one. Mine's from Amazon -- there are several, all seem to be various takes on the Weathertech one. It sits in the cupholder, wtih an adjustable expanding collar to secure the mount in the cup holder. A ratcheting fixture holds the phone.

The cupholder option just doesn’t work for me, I have a 90 pound American bulldog that rides shotgun, and my cupholder was gone a long time ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I retrofitted a phone mount into the airbag light thingy. It can articulate/telescope and doesn't block your view or access to buttons. Plus beats looking down at your phone while driving. Also, don't mind the crude vinyl wrap, it was my 2nd time doing it lol. How-to on the first iteration HERE
View attachment 124655 View attachment 124656
OK… This is way over my head, as I am at not much of a DIYer. I am looking for something for roughly the same location, so I may just do a magic mount onto the dash by the vents

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
The cupholder option just doesn’t work for me, I have a 90 pound American bulldog that rides shotgun, and my cupholder was gone a long time ago.
Be aware that the Passenger Presence Sensor is fairly delicate, and concentrated force - like that from a dog's paw - will damage it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts