Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the autoweek aticle they listed the solstice at 2860, is this the final weight or at least close to the final weight, or is it just the number that GM gave them to report? Also, if the base will go go 0-60 in 7.2 seconds how quick do you think the sc/turbo will be?

2006 PONTIAC SOLSTICE
ON SALE: Fall 2005
BASE PRICE: $19,995 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 2.4-liter, 170-hp, 170-lb-ft I4; rwd, five-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 2860 pounds
0 TO 60 MPH: 7.2 seconds

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
That's the reported weight. Could change a little but Autoweek said car was 75% done so not sure how much they can shave off.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
2800 seems in line with many other roasters too. Miata & MR2 are the exceptions but as long has the weight doesn't negatively impact the performance I'm good with the 2800 range.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
That is still the reported weight, and does top a Miata by a couple hundred. However, that may not be all bad. The car should feel very substantial at that weight with no cowl shake or jitters through the chasis. The Miata is light but relies on extra add-on bracing to stiffen it up a little (such as strut tower bracing). Solstice is bigger physically too, and those 18's must weigh in fairly heavy. GM is predicting a .90 G of lateral acceletation for the car, so it sounds like it should be fine even at that weight (source Car and Driver's review of the test mules in Brittain).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think the weight will prove to not be a factor for 90 something percent of the people who buy the Solstice. If extra weight means a stiffer chassis, then I think it's worth the trade. They might also be estimating the weight alittle high to keep their options open with regard to the final product. For instance, if they were to totaly blow everyone in the car biz away by offering a roadster with a retractable hardtop at a 20k price, (Oh please.. Oh please...) then the extra weight is worth it. Could be why they are being so secretive about the top.

Anyways, to those that think that the weight is to much and the power to little, well, shaving weight and adding power to factory roadsters is a time honored tradition and I can't think of a better starting place than the Solstice. IMHO the Solstice blows the competiton away in the looks department! :cool

·
Registered
535 Posts
Where do you feel you'll be able to shave weight on a Solstice? Little interior carpeting or panels. No back seat to toss or excess stereo components likely. I guess there is always the spare, but I'm sure it will be a mini.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Where do you feel you'll be able to shave weight on a Solstice? Little interior carpeting or panels. No back seat to toss or excess stereo components likely. I guess there is always the spare, but I'm sure it will be a mini.
There's all kinds of ways to save weight! Passanger's seat? Not necessary. Carpet? Who needs it? Won't be needing that passanger-side airbag if nobody is sitting there!

Convertible top? gone! Windows? I don't think so! And who really needs crash beams in the doors?:jester

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
...then, BBS or Youngblood wheels instead of stock (maybe 25 or 35lbs?), Carbon Fiber re-do of the swinging metal (hood, door outers, decklid, maybe 30-50 lbs?), titanium exhaust (15lbs), make sure you get the one without A/C (15lbs) and no radio/CD/Speakers (5-10lbs)...

That's around a hundred pounds. Then take out the carpets, dash sound deadener, trunk trim, replace hood and trunk latches with zeus fittings (maybe 20 lbs).

Take out your side glass, or if you have to have them, make them lexan. Same for front window (maybe 10-20 lbs).

You're getting awfully close to a race car... just wear ear plugs!:D

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
2800 seems in line with many other roasters too. Miata & MR2 are the exceptions but as long has the weight doesn't negatively impact the performance I'm good with the 2800 range.
Weight is always a huge hinderance to performance. Look at the difference between the Celica GT-S and the Lotus Elise.

Celica GT-S 0-60 reports of 6.6s-7.8s
Lotus Elise 0-60 reports of 4.6s-4.9s

Both use the same 2ZZ engine, the lotus has an extra 10hp from ECU changes over the GT-S. The difference comes from the Lotus weighing ~1900 lbs and the GT-S weighing ~2500 lbs. Because 10hp sure as hell doesn't account for a time difference of two full seconds.

2800 lbs is going on the heavy side for a two seater roadster. The S2000 can only pull it off because of it's much greater 240hp.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Most people generally feel the 2800 is about right for what they are building. Yes weight matters but GM is not marketing this as a rocket it's not going to be in Lotus territory. It's a different class. See the power-weight ratios in the general FAQ, Solstice seems to be in the correct neighborhood with their numbers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
That's a nice little chart. Well damn I was hopping they were targetting more of the higher performance roadster world since there was all the talk originally about the SC version. Personally I'd rather see it down around ~2400 for a two seater roadster.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
That's a nice little chart. Well damn I was hopping they were targetting more of the higher performance roadster world since there was all the talk originally about the SC version. Personally I'd rather see it down around ~2400 for a two seater roadster.
I think the performance version will be coming too...unknown at this point what/when that will occur but people are hoping for somewhere in the 200-240 hp range on that model. Now you've got some competition for the S2000 :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah with SC versions of the Cobalt and ION RedLine, plus turbo saabs using these same engines there's probably a very good chance of seeing them exist for this car as well. Either that or some sort of official aftermarket addon like TRD has SC's for a bunch of their vehicles (except for the MR2 of course though). Hopefully it wont be like the Crossfire and incure an extra $10k - $15k for the high performance model. Hopefully it'll be more like the RedLine and the SS Cobalt and be about $5k more for the performance version. I'd of course be willing to pay more if it was a more powerful SC package then the other two cars, along with other performance options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ths solstice will still move well,
remember this little ecotec is very torquey for its size, that torque will really help it move.
a grand prix gt weighs almost a thousand pounds more and it comes with a 200 hp engine and they still get up and move pretty freaking well

plus convertibles are always heavier, helps to keep them from rolling over.

-K

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Most times a convertible is heavier because they have to add a much stronger support structure to compensate for the major loss of rigidity from loosing the solid roof. Otherwise you would end up with a car that would flex too much compared to it's hard top siblings. The Kappa though seems to be a frame designed around being a convertible, and not a convertible afterthought with extra support added to compensate.

And I agree, 170hp/170 ft-lbs torque will be nice solid numbers for a car this size. But I want more. I want a car that will perform well on the road, but I mainly want a car that will perform excelently on the track. However I don't want to have to modify the car all too much to get it track ready. All I want to have to do is throw on some clear adhesive rock/debris protective films, a hitch in the back for a tire trailer, and an extra set of super light rims with some slicks on them.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Kael said:
ths solstice will still move well,
remember this little ecotec is very torquey for its size, that torque will really help it move.
a grand prix gt weighs almost a thousand pounds more and it comes with a 200 hp engine and they still get up and move pretty freaking well

plus convertibles are always heavier, helps to keep them from rolling over.

-K
I don't think straight line performance is the main concern with the weight. Its more of a factor in the handling of the car and how it feels to the driver, like how it responds to quick changes in direction, how tossable it is. Things like that. The more weight there is, the more reuctant it will be to quick changes of direction. 2860 is not that bad, and it should perform fine at that weight. It won't feel as small and nimble as a much lighter MR2, but it won't feel like your piloting a big GTO through the turns either!

My Fiero is around 2700 pounds, and it handles very well and is very tossable. It also gets by with less power (135 HP, 165 Lb-Ft) and has plenty of power to be entertaining (although certainly not downright fast). So I expect the Solstice will handle just fine.

There are definate advantages to having the added weight in the structure too. The Solstice should be extremely solid, with little to no cowl shake. Having a more solid structure can also improve the handling, so this weight may be a perfect compromise.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Guys,

The Solstice is not heavy. It weighs more than the Miata because the Solstice is bigger than that puny, shaky, piece of s**t.

The weight, from all indications, is almost perfectly matched and appropriate to the size of the car. If you want to crawl into the cramped interior of a Miata, or the even smaller interior of an Elise, then you too can drive a car that weighs less - but you pay a price (interior size/comfort).

The old Lotus Elan (RWD, early '70s) was a great, light (about the weight of the Elise), fun car to drive - but it is one of the most unfriendly and uncomfortable cars to drive also - very driver un-accomodating.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2009

1 - 20 of 30 Posts