1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Hmm, dunno... the factory wire is not the heaviest gauge. You're increasing the current by 20%... but you may be OK.

Yeah - thinking about this I'd say it was risky, but not risky enough to firmly warn you off doing it. :dunno:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I would use caution. When wiring is considered usually they allow for 20% or more of current load variance to be safe (that is for home wiring, hospitals, etc) depending on the application, if current goes into overload usually the fuse will POP (you better hope), if it goes over so it doesn't start a fire with the wiring... I don't know what our wiring is rated for our cars, so speculating here, I would venture to say that you are getting very close to the "melt down" mode.. and that they also use the 20% rule IYW.. BUT I'm sure you are about to find out... let us know if ahh, it fries the wiring.. I WILL say this, it WILL get HOT!!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I need to find out for sure if they are 65 or 55....

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I believe they are 55/65 bulbs just like the zxe bulbs.... I am waiting for a response from Oracle.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
I was under the impression that 55W were the max allowed by the safety nazis. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was under the impression that 55W were the max allowed by the safety nazis. Am I wrong?
D'oh! I was of the impression from the other current thread on this subject (in General Solstice Discussion), that 65/55 was the OEM bulb wattage. Are you saying that 55W is the maximum recommended for both high and low beams? How can we verify the true maximum wattage for the factory wiring?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Never the less.If it were me ,I am a Master Electrician by trade so I tend to lean on the caution side I would fuse that baby and definately not run that through the vehicle wiring but have the circuit turn on a relay and then have the relay fire the lights.This will protect your vehicle electronics from a surge or a short.Burn the relay and the wires to the lights ,save the vehicle. IMHO

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Never the less.If it were me ,I am a Master Electrician by trade so I tend to lean on the caution side I would fuse that baby and definately not run that through the vehicle wiring but have the circuit turn on a relay and then have the relay fire the lights.This will protect your vehicle electronics from a surge or a short.Burn the relay and the wires to the lights ,save the vehicle. IMHO
You should be okay....(but do it at your own risk!) Just buy the Sylvania ZXe....trust me!!! Here's the Oracle bulb I had... ORACLE HOD Bulbs

They were rated 65/55....

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I had thought the High Beam wattage was 55W and the low beam something lower. However, I googled and found that the H13 bulb is actually 60W/55W (high/lo). For example, see: List of automotive light bulb types - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Still less than 65W/55W though!

Then, having said that, images of even stock Sylvania H13/9008 bulbs show that they ARE 65W/55W. So I guess 65W is OK :)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ghost are the Sylvania ZXe better than the Ultras?
If your looking for that whiter light (closer to HID color), I've been told they are! See TS? I've grown oh master!!! LOL....

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
The circuits for the headlights and fogs are isolated via conventional fuse, relay and wire. So even if overloaded, you'd blow the fuse, but not damage any electronics.

NOT that I'm suggesting you should run anything more than 65W through them, though!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
I had ordered an HID setup from EBay and they are rated less than 55W...but evidence here says 65 are OK. The lights I ordered did come with a separate power source for the battery and their own step-up transformers. They sense the current flow from the right headlight plug and then relay the battery current to the HID setup. The only drawback is that the DTRLs' current trigger full headlights the same as the headlights do. Thus the HID system is independent of the SOL's, save for the current sent to the HID relay. They are great on low beam, with the beam cut-off and all. The highs, not so good. Bright, but not focused well, so I only use them on empty roads [ie, very little].

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I had ordered an HID setup from EBay and they are rated less than 55W...but evidence here says 65 are OK. The lights I ordered did come with a separate power source for the battery and their own step-up transformers. They sense the current flow from the right headlight plug and then relay the battery current to the HID setup. The only drawback is that the DTRLs' current trigger full headlights the same as the headlights do. Thus the HID system is independent of the SOL's, save for the current sent to the HID relay. They are great on low beam, with the beam cut-off and all. The highs, not so good. Bright, but not focused well, so I only use them on empty roads [ie, very little].
OK, so I'll direct you to two threads. First to let you shift your DRL's to the fog lights... http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/simple-reroute-drls-foglights-mod-hid-users-73671/

The second as to why you shouldn't do what you already did :)... http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/hid-kit-one-perfect-74127/

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

However, if you're just going to do them to the foglights for shows, things of that nature, that's a different story.... However, you could even get away with something even cheaper....LEDs.... Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The highs, not so good. Bright, but not focused well, so I only use them on empty roads [ie, very little].
That was what I ran into even with the Oracle bulbs... low beams were great, high beams might as well not even been on! :(

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
I like the plan to switch the DRL to the fog lights. I do not like how the total conversion headlights look...to much of the eyeball appearance...just my opinion. And, my section of the country is now so inhabited that the high beams just arent necessary. Having said all that, the GMR conversion is better than what I have from what I have seen of them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts