Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it looks to me like the concept cars are sitting lower, with less gap from the wheel well to the top of the tire.
it's a subtle thing, but i like the look, and expect that a lower stiffer suspension would be a more sporting ride.
i know there are aftermarket suspension setups for cars- do you think the solstice would be a good candidate for an aftermarket ( or factory, like BMW) 'sport' suspension?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
According to GM (from the edmunds.com article) all Solstice's will have the sport suspension from the factory (and 18 inch wheels). There will be no optional sport package available as an extra cost option. The production car will sit fairly low as it is, and there comes a point where additional lowering of the car will cause more harshness than is really worth it for the performance gain, at least for street driven roadsters. I don't think you will see a stiffer factory setup, although I am sure the aftermarket will come out with lowering springs and other enhancements you can do on your own.

·
Registered
179 Posts
IF there is more wheel gap than we've seen on the concepts, I'm sure some companies will offer springs that will reduce that gap. But I expect the wheels to fit in nicely, and to go lower would most likely risk ride quality and chances of rubbing.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Also remember the concept car had 20" rears and 19" front tires if I remember correctly. Compared the the production Soltice's 18"s all around.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I hope they don't lower the car any more than it is now. For those of us who intend to use it as a daily driver, any lower would be a serious pain in the ass! For those that must go lower, lowering a car for looks is pretty easy and can be done in an afternoon for very little money by cutting the springs. Lowering a car and wanting excellent handling may be harder and cost more, but I'm sure the aftermarket will sell you something. They always do.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Is it "possible"? Yes.

Is it "desireable"? Not if you like SOME ride quality. If you don't care about chipping your teeth and potential structural issues, you can take the springs out and replace them with urethane blocks, or just let the car sit on the jounce bumpers.

Usually, the assembly plant has some tolerance for bumper heights. If memory serves me correctly, they usually allow for +/-25mm for the bumpers to be produced in the correct location.

This drives the ground clearance (known as "ride height" in ride and handling terms) specification to encompass this variation. To get the bumper to be +/-25mm, you have to control each end of the car's suspension height by +/-10 mm or so (a little less than half an inch).

So, IF you get a nominal car, you can safely lower it by about a half inch. Much lower, and you'll probably start hitting things. Slam the mother to the ground and you risk increased structural loads, wheel contact happening more often in places that are intended to contact in only the most extreme events (like curbs, driveway ramps, and potholes), and ground clearance issues (air dam and exhaust pipe damage, getting hung up on railroad ties, or even hitting your engine oilpan on the road when travelling on a heavily troughed road).

It's prudent, if you are going to lower your car, to increase the spring rate. Just buys you a little insurance. But just a little. It also helps if you change to performance shocks that are a bit stiffer. Both of these will negatively affect ride.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
Much lower, and you'll probably start hitting things.
My guess is that the Solstice is already will have some clearance issues with some driveways, ramps, parking lot blocks, things of that nature. My Fiero at stock height will rub the bottom of the air dam on barking lot blocks and more extreme driveways and entrances to parking lots.

The Solstice also has 18 inch low profile tires from the factory, which doesn't help smooth out the bumps any. They will be glueing parts of this car together in assembly, I wonder how long before it rattles to pieces if it is seriously lowered and driven a lot.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it looks like the concensus is 'don't monkey around with the ride height'. i will take the advice. why gild the lily-thanx for the input

·
Registered
397 Posts
For racing or autocrossing lower and stiffer would be better. GM offers the T1 suspension setup for the Corvette (thru GM perf parts). It lowers and stiffens the car with springs, shocks, and swaybars. I would bet that a similar kit for the Solstice will be offered for those that need the extra performance. For those of us on the street that want an easy performance gain, add a set of stickier tires and you'll feel a nice change, stock tires are usually not the best for performance even if they are 18 inches.

Most lowering springs are quite a bit stiffer than their stock counterparts and they are also obviously shorter. Since they are stiffer, it gives the car reduced body motion, which will help to keep it off of the jounce bumpers. So while a lowered car is indeed closer to the jounce bumpers, the stiffer springs will help to keep the car off them.

I'll be keeping mine stock height since it will likely be my daily car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would bet that the stock car will have plenty of clearance for everyday driving. I am also sure that we will see plenty of them lowered in short order. On the vette all you need to do is lift it up and adjust four bolts.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes you're right, that's very cool with the Vette, however, when lowering the car this way, you are not changing the spring rate. The T1 springs are higher rate.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
One of the auto magazine articles mentions that the Solstice engineers went to war with the corporate types over the ride height of the Solstice. The engineers won and the ride height of the car will be the lowest ever for a GM vehicle.

How much clearance does a new Vette have? I'm a little worried about scuffing up my front bumper on the curb the first time I pull into Krispy Kreme.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
One of the auto magazine articles mentions that the Solstice engineers went to war with the corporate types over the ride height of the Solstice. The engineers won and the ride height of the car will be the lowest ever for a GM vehicle.
I hope they don't make it too low. I do not want to inch in and out of driveways and creep over railroad tracks. I also share your concern for the front bumper. It makes more sense for them to build it a reasonable height and let the tuners slam them to the ground if they want. Then everyone's happy. If they make it too low maybe I'll make a lift kit.

·
Registered
281 Posts
AeroDave said:
I hope they don't make it too low. I do not want to inch in and out of driveways and creep over railroad tracks. I also share your concern for the front bumper. It makes more sense for them to build it a reasonable height and let the tuners slam them to the ground if they want. Then everyone's happy. If they make it too low maybe I'll make a lift kit.
i bet the solstice has better approach and departure angles and wont be any more scrap-prone than a vette.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts