Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is certainly time for serious planning to be underway for NASSAM 2023.

I found a post referencing Beckley, WV, and @rob the elder mentioned that California had been mentioned as well.

So, are plans underway anywhere?

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
My understanding is that the Michigan group is going to host 23 in West Virginia.

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that the Michigan group is going to host 23 in West Virginia.
Is that a confirmation from a member of the group?

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Yes I’m a MKC member. Jim Lyddon has confirmed accommodations and routes are developed. Jim and Chris Brinkley have been discussing. Confirmation has not happen yet.

Reactions: MFA and JohnWR

·
Premium Member
8,262 Posts
It is certainly time for serious planning to be underway for NASSAM 2023.

I found a post referencing Beckley, WV, and @rob the elder mentioned that California had been mentioned as well.

So, are plans underway anywhere?
Jim will be in Rapid City for 22..we will know by then

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
382 Posts
Yes I’m a MKC member. Jim Lyddon has confirmed accommodations and routes are developed. Jim and Chris Brinkley have been discussing. Confirmation has not happen yet.
I've been driving through Beckley since before I was driving. Anyone coming south via I-79 or west via I-68 / I-76 / I-80 etc.--i.e., most folks from the N/E--can meet up near I-76/I-79 interchange ~ 4 hrs. 'upstream' from Beckley.

I live about 2 miles from the 76/79 interchange, where motels/hotels abound.

Looking forward to 2023!

Reactions: 4501 Safari

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speaking as someone who organized an NASSAM in one year, finding out in June '22 that no commitment had been made to host the June '23 event would be much too late.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
Speaking as someone who organized an NASSAM in one year, finding out in June '22 that no commitment had been made to host the June '23 event would be much too late.
Your not listening! I said there is a committed hotel in Becky and routes have been developed, and run. Like always will need adjusting. We 18 months and I’m sure more will be posted once everything is settled.

·
Registered
2008 Solstice, 2.4L 5 Speed, Dark Gray with a good looking dude behind the wheel. (My Son)
226 Posts
Your not listening! I said there is a committed hotel in Becky and routes have been developed, and run. Like always will need adjusting. We 18 months and I’m sure more will be posted once everything is settled.
Has a date been determined?
Rams

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd love to travel out east. I wanted to go this year, but shortly after I bought my RL, I found put I'm going to be a dad again! May 28th. Sooooooo South Dakota is put for me.

Wifey says that 23 would be a great year fir us to let the kids have a week without us and stay with the grandparents.

I anxiously await details for 23.

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am listening.

Your earlier post stated:

............. Confirmation has not happen yet.
And the post I replied to stated:

If confirmation truly "has not happened yet" then "we will know by then" (meaning June) is too late.

I fully understand that details still have to be worked out, but a confirmation that the event has been committed to should definitely be made now, and not later.

This might be a good time for Jim to speak up.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
About a hundred years ago (early '80's), when the Motorcycle Safety Foundation was in Chads Ford, PA, and I was a new (#1881) MSF instructor, we had a conference in Beckley, WV. Have no idea how much has changed but the trip up from FL was back roads worthy on the bike, with a dash of the BRP and Skyline Drive mixed in. We were on official business so pleasure riding was on one's own. I'd go back on 4 wheels. Love the East Coast mountains and been traveling as I could, over the years, since childhood near DDM in SC.

Will follow this for sure.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
2008 Solstice, 2.4L 5 Speed, Dark Gray with a good looking dude behind the wheel. (My Son)
226 Posts
I think I am listening.

Your earlier post stated:

And the post I replied to stated:

If confirmation truly "has not happened yet" then "we will know by then" (meaning June) is too late.

I fully understand that details still have to be worked out, but a confirmation that the event has been committed to should definitely be made now, and not later.

This might be a good time for Jim to speak up.
All I really care about knowing is the dates and the city. While the event does take significant planning and work, so does my trip there. Most folks have other things to plan around, financial issues, vacation issues, etc........
It takes time and money to attend such events, I'd like to come to WV for it but, needing basic information is paramount to making it happen.

I don't care what hotel is ground zero, I don't even care what else is planned but, if I'm going to try and make an event, I have to know when and where to appropriately plan. So, the earlier that information is available and released, the greater the chances more folks will attend.

Rams

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
All I really care about knowing is the dates and the city. While the event does take significant planning and work, so does my trip there. Most folks have other things to plan around, financial issues, vacation issues, etc........
It takes time and money to attend such events, I'd like to come to WV for it but, needing basic information is paramount to making it happen.

I don't care what hotel is ground zero, I don't even care what else is planned but, if I'm going to try and make an event, I have to know when and where to appropriately plan. So, the earlier that information is available and released, the greater the chances more folks will attend.

Rams

Rams
Planning for a national event takes a tremendous amount of time and planning! If possible the event is planned during the summer solstice timeframe. My understanding is we have a commitment to have the whole hotel and facilities in the Beckly area. The contract had not been signed as of the first of year. I’m sure much more information will be available from Jim as we get closer. Individual planning is easy, need vacation time( if required) and pack you belongings.
Hope to see you all in 22 an 23.

Reactions: showtime

·
Premium Member
2007 Sol NA (work in progress)
224 Posts
Hope to see you all in 22 an 23.
Mike: Having done my share of car-fixated activities that were smaller scale than NASSAM, I understand your point that things will get nailed down at some point. I think John's point is that it would be encouraging for all interested parties to hear from the principals involved. Like (probably) a lot of others, I'd like to get my reservations in as early as possible or at least commit so the organizers can plan sizing. Beckley is doable for my 'lil darlin' - California is not, whether they firm it up now or later.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
All I really care about knowing is the dates and the city. ... the greater the chances more folks will attend.
Rams
historically, exact dates are not announced until June of the previous year.
Example: 2023 dates are announced in June 2022.

There have been other threads on this forum discussing potential locations for future years. Last I heard, 2024 has no firm location, just a wish list.

The date of the event, as Mike stated, is around the Summer Solstice in June of the year. Sometimes the week of,
sometimes the week before, sometimes the week after. It all depends on when the hotel is available.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hello folks: We who are planning Rapid City in 2022 had hoped to announce 2023 in June, but since this has come up...well...

The Country Inn, Beckley, WV has let us know that we can have the entire hotel (156 rooms) for the week of June 19-24, 2023. As for 2024, some of us are considering options and have two or three ideas. Of course, anyone who wishes to have the event near them is welcome to volunteer to host. And I'd say speak now or forever hold your peace. In the meantime, hopefully this thread can be put to rest now.

And back to Rapid City, we now have 65 cars and over 100 people with the promise of at least ten more cars. We hope to see some of you in June!

Best regards,

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts

·
Administrator
9,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
historically, exact dates are not announced until June of the previous year.
Example: 2023 dates are announced in June 2022.

There have been other threads on this forum discussing potential locations for future years. Last I heard, 2024 has no firm location, just a wish list.

The date of the event, as Mike stated, is around the Summer Solstice in June of the year. Sometimes the week of,
sometimes the week before, sometimes the week after. It all depends on when the hotel is available.
Yes, dates are usually not normally announced more than a year in advance, although a few were announced two years out. The purpose of this thread was to confirm that a commitment has been made to host the event, and that has been done.

Hotel and banquet facility availability is the key reason for an early commitment, since the better venues are typically booked more than a year in advance, and serious planning for most events starts (or should start) at least two years in advance.

Thank you @mysolst for confirming a commitment for 2023. Early announcement of the dates is a welcome bonus.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts