Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2006 with about 75,000 miles. Trying to decide whether to sell it "as is" for a few thousand or put some money into fixing it up. It has faded soft top, few hail dings and scratches. Mechanically the check engine light is on, airbag light is on, passenger door handle is a little temperamental. Tail light is out but I'm hoping it's a bulb! Any advice? It's been a great car to drive

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
This would be a great candidate for a V8 swap for someone!!

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
I look at it this way, if I have to spend a couple hundred here there every several months on an old car, it's still cheaper than spending $500+ a month for the next 48 or 60 months. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The check engine light is probably the cam position sensors or solenoids; not too expensive to fix. The airbag light is probably the passenger presence module; that will be about a $900 repair. The rest of the stuff is minor.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Tough question to ask without seeing the car with that my question to you is how much do you like the car is it worth say $1500.00 to have it back in good shape ? Hopefully my answers will give you some idea of what your looking at to get it in better shape . The dents can probably be removed by a paintless dent tech figure around 50 dollars a dent I had my car done last year completely gone over and my cost was $200.00 .As to the scratches there are some products out there most notably Dr.Colorchip that for around $63.00 will address that issue .As for the check engine light most auto part stores Auto Zone ,Advance ,Pep Boys etc. will hook up a scanner and read your trouble code or codes and advise you what the problem is and a possible fix this is a free service . Airbag light as noted above is a common problem with Kappas and is a bit pricey to repair something that generally you have to go to the dealer for .Tail light as noted is probably a bulb a couple of bucks and again a lot of auto parts stores will replace them just for the cost of the bulb .All your top may need is a through cleaning and conditioning with a product like RaggTop a kit runs around $35.00 to $40.00 . Passenger side door handle may just need an adjustment which any decent body shop can do for relatively low cost .All the above scenarios are taking into account that you will be doing the majority of the work so again how much do you enjoy this car and is all this worth it to you .

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
My interpretation of his statement is that he has owned the car for some time and allowed it to deteriorate to this sad state. If this is the case, then my opinion is he is not going to want to fix it so he would be better off moving on. If this is a bad interpretation then he can convince me that he does know how to take care of a car and is willing to do the work.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Rob I maybe 100% wrong but with a forum handle "Trishdfw " I have to believe the poster is of the opposite sex please correct me if I'm wrong . Personally I agree with you as to the condition of the car and at this point to ask an opinion as to were do I go from here makes me think that the car has seen better days and the poster is looking to cut her or his losses .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I look at it this way, if I have to spend a couple hundred here there every several months on an old car, it's still cheaper than spending $500+ a month for the next 48 or 60 months. YMMV.
Exactly this - why not make a project out of it, save yourself money vs something newer and get some fun out of it along the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts