Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hmm... I guess these boards don't support the "this thread is useless without pics!" smiles.

j/k ... I'm sure some of the car guys will know what you're saying, but life has disgraced me to the point where I have not had a chance to ride in a supra. Before everyone gasps with disbelief, please understand that I've had a terrible life, frought with only $20,000 in combined capital in my adult life with which to buy the 2 cars I've owned in the same period of time... and considering my car is newer / more expensive than 75% of my friends, that also leaves little chance of sitting in a supra.

So, what's all of this mean? For me at least... this thread is useless without pics!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I see the resemblance, but I like how the swoop on the passenger side of the Supra is a bit more dramatic and curvy to envelop the driver... made me realize how, when I originally thought the Solstice had a curvy interior, looks quite angular and flat, with everything very evenly spaced out and lined up.

My speculation would be that the interior in the production version will have a bit more buttons and "busyness" in the AC vent / control area, as the interior in current Pontiac models don't look much like the Solstice in your shot (good pics by the way, saw the rest on your site).

I do prefer the "driver centric" cabin of the Supra and Solstice though, and hope they don't go the route of the waterfall-like center console like the GTO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the Supra and Solstice dash have a nice, cockpit like layout to them but I think the Supra has more of a sportscar look to it. The Solstice is nice, and almost has a retro-roadster look to it. But, if GM is reading any of this, and wants this thing to be a full-fledged sports car in the traditional sense, why not use a little of that open space and really add some full instrumentation? The current instrumentation looks more like a Beetle that a sportscare. GM should look at the dash of a BMW or Nissan Z, or even a Miata. Give us some damn guages! Why not give us an oil pressure guage at least to go along with what's there? I know they love idiot lights, and they can hide alot of that within the face of a tach or speedometer, but since they are going for that traditional roadster look, they could study the pages of some old Road and Tracks to see how people like MG, Triumph, Fiat and Porsche did things. Full instrumentation might even convince to overlook the "Big-Brother" On-Star feature they want to cram down out throats. They could lose a little of that high-tech spyware and more than pay for a couple of extra guages.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I can see where you would find the overall layout somewhat similar, but in actual execution there is a number of differences from the guage layout and look to the HVAC and stereo controls. They are not the only two cars to use a dash with a similar overall shape and layout either. Its to make it driver focused, as a sports car should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts