Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at the latest pictures shot at the DC show, what if the rubber lump on the windshield post indicates where the top of the window meets the bottom of the roof. Doesn't that look awfully low to you? I know the Solstice borrows a lot from the old Porche Spyders, but the claustrophobic feeling when driving with the top up was something I hoped they wouldn't emulate!

OK,I haven't figured out how to post a thumbnail but just click on the link.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You might be right. That poses a problem for me, i am 6'2'' and if that is the size of the window I will have a blindspot the size of a mack truck. I know i can adjust the mirrors to help compensate but I will not be able to see anything out of those windows when the top is up. I hope GM does this right, I don't want to have wasted all this time on this car just to find that I don't fit or I can't see out of the damned thing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well I'm just speculating here but I'm wondering if it appears lower due to the angle of the shot. I do know that you sit very low in the car, so hopefully the curve of the top won't hinder side views to the point you have to 'duck and peek'. There were those spy shots that someone posted of the 'disguised' Solstice on the road. I'm going to see if I can tell anything from those. Okay, here's the link that tcl provided in an earlier post. http://www.swvrscca.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6131&highlight=#6131
So unless the person driving that car is awfully short, we should be okay.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Michael said:
... There were those spy shots that someone posted of the 'disguised' Solstice on the road. I'm going to see if I can tell anything from those. Okay, here's the link that tcl provided in an earlier post. http://www.swvrscca.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6131&highlight=#6131
So unless the person driving that car is awfully short, we should be okay.
Looking at the second shot in the above link, it looks like DreamerDave might be right about the purpose of that protrusion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You know the 55 through 57 Thunderbirds were awful for me with the hardtop in place. You had to bend your head down to look up out of the car. That takes some getting used to. In that in the Solstice you sit lower I'm hoping that it's not similar. I'm 6' tall and I hated those cars. I only drove them when a friend needed drivers to show them at various concours events.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
showcar!

hey guys, just remember that the height of the roof seems very low, but remember that this is the showcar. GM wants it to look very sleek to the public before it actually comes out. When the actual product comes out, it most likely will have a higher roof line.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Its possible the window won’t cut strait across from that point, even if that is where the roof attaches to the A piller either. If the roof curves up from that point, the height of the window in the middle may be a lot higher than at the A piller.

Also, we have seen comments about how low you sit in the car. If the door sill is up closer to shoulder height, you won’t need a really high window to be able to see out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
in the pictures i've seen of drivers in the solstice it seems as if the beltline is relatively high and that drivers sit low in relationship to the top of the door- if that's the case, a low top may not obstruct the drivers vision. appearance-wise, i think a low top is more sleek.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts