Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another day, another thread relating to production information. Is it time or possible for a Kappa registry to be compiled? Point being, individuals wishing to know specific information or details regarding their vehicle would be pointed to the availability source and available for a fee. The proceeds could go to the individual who created it or name a specific organization they would like the proceeds to go to that would directly benefit the Kappa community. For example; door prizes for the annual Kappa reunions, or relating to cost associated with the reunions.

It's a given and be disclosed that this is an on-going registry due to it being member generated because no official company generated registry is available at this time. Updates and editions could be offered annually, biannually, or until an official company registry is procured.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
I think such a registry is a good idea and may someday be a very useful resource.

Several of us have attempted to create such a registry without much success, since very few people are interested in giving up what they consider personal information to a third party.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Who manages the site that allows you get your cars configuration based on the VIN entered? Could that be enhanced to become 'the registry'?

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
jackl : Who manages the site that allows you get your cars configuration based on the VIN entered? Could that be enhanced to become 'the registry'?
That site accesses GM's database, but there is no way that anyone I have contacted knows of to mine the data needed to create a usable registry. The only viable source for that data would seem to be GM but, as discontinued orphans, we probably don't have much leverage to get anything from them.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does Compnine reveal how many? Seems like the last time I used it it wasn't accurate.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
LowLife1 : Does Compnine reveal how many? Seems like the last time I used it it wasn't accurate.
It will tell you how many other cars match yours exactly, but some of the RPO codes are nearly vehicle specific, so the number of matches is usually unrealistically low.

We have fairly accurate production numbers from the data that GM published during production, but no data on individual cars.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It will tell you how many other cars match yours exactly, but some of the RPO codes are nearly vehicle specific, so the number of matches is usually unrealistically low.

We have fairly accurate production numbers from the data that GM published during production, but no data on individual cars.
what exactly are you wanting to know with individual cars? There is a "registry" here that had the owner's signature and some details (for the coupes). Plus I can look up any other car and get it's color, tranny, engine, build date, I just don't know where the car is, if it's even still running, etc. without members posting on here (again for the coupes). Would be hard to carry that over to all Solstice and Sky since the production numbers are so much higher.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
Based on other registries I have had dealings with, a Kappa registry would include the following information for all 100k vehicles:
1) VIN
2) original dealer
3) RPO codes
4) details not covered by RPO
5) date and other data about each sale or change in status

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
I seriously doubt that anyone would be willing to put in the amount of work necessary for such an endeavour, though in theory it would be a good idea.

Other cars that I am involved with have such registries only for the low production models - usually less than a couple of thousand. That would mean a coupe registry for the Solstice.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
The amount of work involved isn't the real problem. Access to data is. I say that because I have put a considerable amount of effort into the process, only to realize that there is not enough data available to make it worthwhile.

The answer to the original question, however, is probably "No." A registry will not really have any value until or unless the Kappa becomes valuable as a collector car. And that just isn't likely to ever happen.

The coupe may be a different story, but that is also a different question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts