Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I ran into a gentleman who is in our area for a major car show this weekend.

He was driving a 1966 Pontiac GTO & we starting talking cars. In doing so, he revealed that he had come into contact with a truckload of "test" models that were headed for testing at GM.

He said that the car was sensational but that the ones he saw did have one problem. The paint on them was already orange peeling!

Do I need to say that this is not good?

I know that we all want our cars however I am equally certain that I speak for everyone when I say that we want the car to be as perfect as possible!

Let's hope that if this is true the problem is fixed before the first 1000 are made.

:patriot: Hope everyone has a safe & happy holiday weekend! :patriot:

·
5,600 Posts
This rumor comes somewhat out of the blue. GM paint quality was despicable in the '80s. But the durability of the paint on my 2000 Silverado has been excellent. It seems GM paint quality has been great recently. What is special about the Solstice manufacturing process that would see a sudden catastrophic decline in the paint quality.

I would call this a bad rumor pending personal experience to the contrary.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why someone would say that the paint is "already" orange peeling. I've always understood the term "orange peel" to refer to a dimpled surface on the paint that is evident as soon as the paint dries. The term "orange peel" is used because the surface resembles an orange peel, not because the paint is literally peeling off the car. Maybe I've always misused the term, but the car people that I talk to use it the same way. Unless they were just humoring me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding...but orange peel when referring to paint means that the paint surface has a pebbly texture like the peel of an orange, not that the paint peels off easily or isn't durable.

The paint isn't peeling, it just looks like an orange's surface. You'd think that any competent auto company would've figured out to how paint a car by now, but this is The General we're talking about.

My Camaro's got one a really weird paint problem. When the passenger car gets immersed in cold water, from a car wash or rain, it develops a weird white pattern on it that looks like someone messily splashed milk on it. When it dries up, the pattern disappears, too. Before you ask, no, I honestly haven't checked if the Virgin Mary appears in the pattern or naught.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I don't know how much is rumour. When I saw the prototype at a dealership on 4/15, the first thing I noticed was how wavy the paint was. I didn't like it, but assumed it would be corrected for mass production.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Batman said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding...but orange peel when referring to paint means that the paint surface has a pebbly texture like the peel of an orange, not that the paint peels off easily or isn't durable.

The paint isn't peeling, it just looks like an orange's surface. You'd think that any competent auto company would've figured out to how paint a car by now, but this is The General we're talking about.

My Camaro's got one a really weird paint problem. When the passenger car gets immersed in cold water, from a car wash or rain, it develops a weird white pattern on it that looks like someone messily splashed milk on it. When it dries up, the pattern disappears, too. Before you ask, no, I honestly haven't checked if the Virgin Mary appears in the pattern or naught.

I have the same problem with my 2003 PT. It is right above the driver side door handle and below the window line. Every time I wash the car when it is warm outside, I get a milky-ish color. The car is black. As soon as the car dries, the phenomenon goes away. However, I will say that it started out about a 2 inch size and has continued to grow over the years to about 8-9 inches. If you look closely, you can see it after the car is dry.

Anyone have any experience with this? The dealer just shrugged his shoulders.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
From my understanding, EPA regulations for painting and paints make it tough for automakers to get a really good, smooth finish on a car.

I have noticed GM paint quality varies greatly from vehicle to vehicle. A guy I work with just picked up a 2005 Silverado, and the finish on that is real good. However, I have seen Saturn Ions and Pontiac G6's which had terrible orange peel.

This is the first comment I have seen about orange peel on the Solstice. Lets hope it is an anomoly.

·
5,600 Posts
I misunderstood this topic to mean the paint was peeling. As the topic is "orange peel" texture of the paint, I would say it is hit and miss. FWIW, I saw a Pontiac G6 on the road a month ago and raced up to check it out and it had some of the most horrific orange peel I have ever seen. If I ordered that car, i would not have accepted it. However most GM cars and trucks I have seen have been very good for paint finish.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
From my understanding, orange peel is pretty much a crapshoot. It depends on the humidity and barametric pressure when the paint it shot on. I know in the custom world, you want to avoid shooting paint when the barometer is on the rise or on a very humid day.

I know from experience that the same goes for wood finishes. You can add retarder to oil-based finishes to combat the problem, but you're better off using water-based finishes on humid days.

·
Registered
114 Posts
depending on the severity of this, an orbital buffer and some good polishes/wax can work wonders. its too soon to judge this for the solstice. Most new C6s I have seen (that have been washed) look very good.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
The wave (peel) is so noticable it would drive me crazy if I knew it was the finished product. I wouldn't want the car like that.
Here's the scenario in my workplace parking lot:
"Hey, great car, wow, really cool, damn, yeah, what's under the hood? Check out the exhaust system. Yeah, Pontiac sure did a nice job with this baby. Who would've figured? Uh, uh, what's that right there? Wait, the paint looks a little screwed up. Maybe it's the way the sun's hitting it. No, (feels the finish) not the sun. WTF?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Blk37Special said:
I have the same problem with my 2003 PT. It is right above the driver side door handle and below the window line. Every time I wash the car when it is warm outside, I get a milky-ish color. The car is black. As soon as the car dries, the phenomenon goes away. However, I will say that it started out about a 2 inch size and has continued to grow over the years to about 8-9 inches. If you look closely, you can see it after the car is dry.

I used to paint show cars in the 80s and 90s, sounds like the clear coat is separating. :(

·
Registered
535 Posts
Blk37Special said:

Most likely moisture is getting between the clear coat and the base coat. This can increase over time and does cause a milky effect.
I also want to comment on paint quality. My CTS has slight orange peeling and I did notice it when I bought the car. I looked at all the other CTS's and they looked the same. I did comment to the dealer that Cadillac should really do better on a $40K car! He said that Gm's look like that! :willy:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Paint has looked fine in all the test car pics we've seen :skep:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
Paint has looked fine in all the test car pics we've seen :skep:
Orange peel may not show up in pictures well if at all.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Maybe the car the person saw was one of the early test mules whose paint did looked trashed in some of the pics. But peeling paint similar to the problems in the 80's with blue at GM and Ford ended up being a problem with the primer and not the paint. And certainly peeing is not to be confused with orange peel, which is either there or not there, orange peel cannot develop over time, and dirty air supply or dirt in the air can aalso be a factor.

As far as Caddy's paint always looking wavy I had a discussion with a gentleman at the country's oldest Caddilac dealer which also sells AUdi on same lot and whose company also has the Mercedes store in town. He said they have to do absolutely nothing to the Audis and Cads but have to touchup or repaint or otherwise fix almost every new Merc that arrives.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You'd be absolutely amazed what a weekend lovingly blocking and buffing will do. Do it once when the car is new and get a good feeling about the show car like paint till you sell it. Or a hundred or so in the hand of someone who needs the cash and knows what their doing, will get rid of clear coat orange peel. As long as the color coat is shot right. And be extra gentle on the edges.
It might be something for you snowbirds to do when your cars are laid up for the winter. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am afraid the orange peel may be a problem. I went to a Pontiac dealer with a friend today and they had a G6 on the showroom floor and the orange peel was so bad on this car that it made my eyes feel crossed if I looked at it long enough due to the distortion of the reflection. I was floored that that car had actually passed inspection. I would have never bought the car and if the paint on my solstice is that bad that may be a problem for me upon delivery. I am not trying to blow this problem out of proportion it was bad.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts